Quitting Smoking - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Quitting Smoking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Quitting Smoking

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:44 am

So I've decided that tomorrow, I'm finally quitting smoking after nearly 7 years. I've been wanting to do this for some time, but haven't had a free weekend where I could devote myself to coping with the misery of nicotine withdrawal. I don't even plan on leaving the house, to avoid the temptation of pulling over at a 7-11 to buy a pack, or of bumming "just one" smoke from a friend. I've tried to quit in the past, but I'm always foiled by opportunity. This time I think I've got a good shot. I might go outside to run or something, but nothing more than that. I've got lots of DVDs and Yankees-Red Sox to keep me occupied.

Anybody else ever quit smoking? Any advice or experiences you'd like to share? Moral support you can provide?? :-o
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:49 am

Never started myself -- which is odd considering where I live :-? -- but I know a few people who have quit and it's definitely worth it. ;-D Sorry I can't offer much more than that. :*)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby AT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:21 am

I quit smoking after about 7 years in late January of this year after my father died from Lung Cancer at 58. The biggest thing for me was obviously motivation but things that helped were putting myself in situations that I didn't normally smoke in for a while and having the support of friends and family. For example, I never smoked while I was at home and I spent a lot of time at home for a while. I never used to bum smokes and since I stopped buying them I would never ask anyone for one and never had them in my pocket it made it easier. Also, it wasn't exactly like people were offering them to me knowing my situation and most people tried to not smoke in front of me. The easiest way to quit is change your habits and try to do things that you don't normally smoke while doing and put yourself in an environment that isn't conducive to smoking. At least for a while while you get rid of the mental need and physical withdrawal.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pacman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:31 am

I quit many years ago, and when I did, I started running at the same time. So the gains I was making with running started quickly to outweigh the pains of withdrawl. I knew if I had a cigarette it would be harder to keep up my progress running. That worked for me.

Good luck - quitting smoking is the single best thing you can ever do for your health.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Box » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:41 am

Cold Turkey ;-D

Avoid overeating....that post-meal habit was the hardest to break.

Also cut back on the beer....that drunk smoke habit was almost as hard to break.

Good luck bro ;-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:47 am

I quite cold turkey but I only smoked a few years in college and highschool a bit...

Wasn't that hard but now that I have a real job with stress I wanna start again..I won't but I wanna sometimes!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 pm

I've been smoking for about 15 years. :-/ I have quit smoking probably 15 times but I guess I am just weak-willed. Beer is probably the main culprit that does me in.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:24 pm

Pacman wrote:I quit many years ago, and when I did, I started running at the same time. So the gains I was making with running started quickly to outweigh the pains of withdrawl. I knew if I had a cigarette it would be harder to keep up my progress running. That worked for me.

Good luck - quitting smoking is the single best thing you can ever do for your health.

And your wallet. ;-)
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Quitting Smoking

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:36 pm

WharfRat wrote:So I've decided that tomorrow, I'm finally quitting smoking after nearly 7 years. I've been wanting to do this for some time, but haven't had a free weekend where I could devote myself to coping with the misery of nicotine withdrawal. I don't even plan on leaving the house, to avoid the temptation of pulling over at a 7-11 to buy a pack, or of bumming "just one" smoke from a friend. I've tried to quit in the past, but I'm always foiled by opportunity. This time I think I've got a good shot. I might go outside to run or something, but nothing more than that. I've got lots of DVDs and Yankees-Red Sox to keep me occupied.

Anybody else ever quit smoking? Any advice or experiences you'd like to share? Moral support you can provide?? :-o

Nice job. I actually quit cold turkey a few months ago after many years of doing it. What works for me is just getting a ton of chewing gum and just keep chewing away. I would try that before dumping a lot of money on other "aids". Good luck. ;-D

FWIW.......I had wanted to quit for some time but had to do it because I was having trouble breathing, especially when trying to go to sleep. I figured that I would see if that made a difference and it did. I feel much better now and even lost a bunch of weight with it. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:24 pm

Good luck, WharfRat.

I can't imagine what's like to quit a chemical addiction but thumbs up for trying. Your body will love you for it, especially when you get older.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Next

Return to General Talk