Adam Dunn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dice » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:43 pm

evil_beaver_dp wrote:I see Adam Dunn as a perfect example of why a 5x5 scoring system is simply inadequate. Keep the traditional 5 - BA, HR, RBI, R, SB - and add OBP & SLG or OPS. Now all those walks, 2Bs, and 3Bs have some value and the low BA still hurts.

If Adam Dunn ends up in the 50 solo-HR club, is that really his fault? If every batter in a lineup were Adam Dunn, what would the probability be that he hits a solo HR, 2-R HR, 3-R HR, or a GS? I'm guessing that he'd hit multi-R homers more than most hitters in a similar analysis. Adam Dunn is a guy I'd take in my lineup any time.

I've only ever played with these offensive categories: Total Bases, OBP, SB, R, RBI. The randomness of HR's and the ignoring of BB would ignore me.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:50 pm

i play with the standard RUNS, HRS, RBIS, and SBS, but replace AVG with OPS (better than OBP), add HITS, WALKS, and TOTAL BASES.

i hate the standard 5, it totally doesn't reflect a player's actual worth to his team.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dice » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Note: Dunn is 15th in the league on ESPN's Runs Created/27 outs stat, which takes into account walks. As far as I can tell, a walk is worth 26% of a single. This is a stat which is independent of runs and RBI's. He's a little higher than I thought he'd be.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 pm

Dice wrote:Note: Dunn is 15th in the league on ESPN's Runs Created/27 outs stat, which takes into account walks. As far as I can tell, a walk is worth 26% of a single. This is a stat which is independent of runs and RBI's. He's a little higher than I thought he'd be.

Runs Created/27 is a great metric to evaluate a hitter. He's also 13th in MLB in batting Win Shares (right behind Miguel Tejada). He's ahead of Manny Ramirez, Carlos Lee, Mark Teixeira, Carlos Delgado, Miguel Cabrera, Jim Edmonds and Cliff Floyd. Dunn gets no respect. This guy is the kind of hitter you build a franchise around.

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby evil_beaver_dp » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:16 pm

Quoting Dice: "I've only ever played with these offensive categories: Total Bases, OBP, SB, R, RBI. The randomness of HR's and the ignoring of BB would ignore me."

I don't quite understand why you mention that the "randomness" of HRs would bother you but you have no problem with RBI as a category. RBI is probably the most unpredictable of all these categories and most dependent upon an individual's teammates rather than the individual.
evil_beaver_dp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Laean wrote:i play with the standard RUNS, HRS, RBIS, and SBS, but replace AVG with OPS (better than OBP), add HITS, WALKS, and TOTAL BASES.

i hate the standard 5, it totally doesn't reflect a player's actual worth to his team.

Excellent. I think you just hit my league's batting categories right on the head ;-D

We also use strikeouts to keep the power hitters balanced.

On the pitching side, we use W, L, SV, K, BB, ERA, WHIP, K/BB.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Longhorns76 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:58 pm

theclefe wrote:Not to mention, the guy is a jerk. I remember when Aaron Boone was traded. He and another meathead were on the Best Damn Sports Show ripping the guy. I'm no fan of Boone, but Dunn came off like a peice of trash.

Sounds right that he won;t swing unless the pitch is perfect. He sounds like a model team player.

Another thing I heard was that after he left the University of Texas (he was a backup qb), all he did was publicly trash Chris Simms and Mack Brown.

I wouldn't mess with him though, he can say whatever he wants, at 6'6" and 270 lbs he would squash me like a bug.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:04 am

The Jury wrote:
Laean wrote:i play with the standard RUNS, HRS, RBIS, and SBS, but replace AVG with OPS (better than OBP), add HITS, WALKS, and TOTAL BASES.

Excellent. I think you just hit my league's batting categories right on the head ;-D

We also use strikeouts to keep the power hitters balanced.

On the pitching side, we use W, L, SV, K, BB, ERA, WHIP, K/BB.

yeah we were thinking about using Ks for the hitters cats, but most of us are worried that'll lead to too many categories.

our pitching cats are: W L SV K BB ERA WHIP ER. some of us really hate this current set because 4 of the cats give an advantage to RP and only 2 are pro-SP cats. next season we're thinking about replacing ER with IP, since ER is kind of redundant with ERA already there, and IP is a pro-SP cat. thus, we'll have a neutral 3 pro-SP and 3 pro-RP cats. some of us don't like IP though because they think it's a non-skill related cat, but i disagree since good starters tend to not get blown up and yanked after 2 innings, or have to be taken out in the 6th inning because their inefficiency has caused them to pitch 110 innings already, etc.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:07 am

Dice wrote:Note: Dunn is 15th in the league on ESPN's Runs Created/27 outs stat, which takes into account walks. As far as I can tell, a walk is worth 26% of a single. This is a stat which is independent of runs and RBI's. He's a little higher than I thought he'd be.

Walks are worth quite abit more than that. Singles are worth about .46 Runs and Walks about .33 Runs. Walks are worth around 70% of a single.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby brandnew » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:02 am

nikku88 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Come on...we all know what Adam Dunn's ultimate goal is. To be the first member of the 50/50/50 club.

50 Hrs/50 Rbis/50 Runs.

He must be very good at that since he already has 59 runs.

You guys aren't very good at taking jokes are you? It used to be a big joke about Dunn.

But I'll forgive you because you have an amazing quote in your sig.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers