Adam Dunn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adam Dunn

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:45 pm

I see him as a 1 Dimensional hitter, who has a ton of talent at the plate. Here is a little bio on him:

Despite the high strikeout total, Dunn exhibits good plate discipline. He is among the major league leaders every season in number of pitches per at-bat, an indication that he generally knows when to swing and when to watch. Although his career batting average is .249, generally considered a mediocre mark, he has compiled a robust .382 on-base percentage while striking out only six times for every ten walks.

Well that is all fine and dandy, but I still see a .239 BA this year and a guy who is on pace to challenge his own single season strikeout record.

I am a Dunn hater, but I am amazed of his hits per HR ratio. The kid flat out has talent, but it's just not used properly IMO. Can anybody see him raising the average in the future, and where would he top off at?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HAC Wolves » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:46 pm

hes a 270 tops hitter with 50+ HR power
and a OBP above league aaverage
Mariners for life

http://img87.echo.cx/img87/1927/paintballsig3xr.jpg

www.mccoypaintball.com
HAC Wolves
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtarail » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:59 pm

I think the key stats to look at with Dunn are his walks and strikeouts. It's a pretty bizarre combination. Generally high K's shows lack of plate discipline and high walks shows...plate discipline.

I guess the long and the short of it is this: if Dunn is a guy who's willing to take a K with the bat on his shoulder if he doesn't get the perfect pitch he's probably not going to make any major improvements as a hitter.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:15 pm

mtarail wrote:I think the key stats to look at with Dunn are his walks and strikeouts. It's a pretty bizarre combination. Generally high K's shows lack of plate discipline and high walks shows...plate discipline.

I guess the long and the short of it is this: if Dunn is a guy who's willing to take a K with the bat on his shoulder if he doesn't get the perfect pitch he's probably not going to make any major improvements as a hitter.

It's kind of like Thome. Thome Ks a ton, but he also walks a ton, and when he makes contact he frequently hits it out. Well not this year, but in the past.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby nikku88 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:46 am

Dunn is one of those players who has much more value in real life than in 5x5.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby VikingVilla » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:56 am

well I have Dunn in an OBP. league which makes him pretty valuable. However, in an average league he may not be useful as a draft pick, but a spot starter is a perfect fit for him, in AVG. leagues.
Keep The Faith!
VikingVilla
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NZF » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:58 am

nikku88 wrote:Dunn is one of those players who has much more value in real life than in 5x5.

Not if one of those 5 hitting categories is OBP ;-) In fact he is arguably damn near a first rounder using OBP instead of BA as one of my leagues does.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannahann » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:04 am

He's a nice option in OBP leagues. He's still a plus player 5x5, but his prescence on a 5x5 fantasy rosters mandates some high average players to offset the drain. One plus tho, by taking so many walks, Dunn might notch fewer than 500 official AB. Therefore his .250 isn't as devastating on a rotoscore as a .250 from a less diciplined hitter with 600+ AB.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby The Jury » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:06 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
mtarail wrote:I think the key stats to look at with Dunn are his walks and strikeouts. It's a pretty bizarre combination. Generally high K's shows lack of plate discipline and high walks shows...plate discipline.

It's kind of like Thome. Thome Ks a ton, but he also walks a ton, and when he makes contact he frequently hits it out. Well not this year, but in the past.

In the sense that they both walk and strikeout a ton, yes. But I disagree in general with the comparison.

Dunn demonstrates an amazing batting eye, but he watches a lot of close pitches that are called for strikes.

Thome's strikeouts are "normal" strikeouts to me, in that he was simply beaten on that third strike.

Adam Dunn is a very unique hitter with a long swing.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:30 am

Come on...we all know what Adam Dunn's ultimate goal is. To be the first member of the 50/50/50 club.

50 Hrs/50 Rbis/50 Runs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers