Anyone have a good stock tip? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone have a good stock tip?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone have a good stock tip?

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:25 pm

I am looking for good stocks other than the most popular large cap stocks.

Anyone got a good small cap stock selling at a decent price?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:41 pm

i'm a fan of Vasco (VDSI). its had a nice run up, but there is still lots of room for growth. Problem is if it will be forthcoming soon or if stiff competition will arise. I haven't done much micro-level research on it yet, but the story so far is good.

I've had good fortune with Cameco (CCJ) and Usec (USU), returns both over 100% since purchasing them in my fake :-[ mutual fund that i run at http://www.marketocracy.com . i chose them b/c i am a huge fan of uranium, both short and long term and independent of the general commodity boom. its only a matter of time before people finally realize that nuclear power is the cleanest, safest, and most productive energy source there is. even high-profile environmentalists are coming around.

and finally, regardless of what anyone says about a stock, please do your own due diligence as well.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby AT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:47 am

Currently I'm selling DHB Industries (DHB-Amex) to my clients. They make protective body armor for the military and the nypd among others. They're located in Westbury NY which is a stone's throw from my office and they have a Market Cap of about $420 Million and the stock is trading at $9.45 by $9.55 pre-market. It's been up quite a bit lately and recently on the news of Armor Holdings winning a contract from one of their competitors. The stock is real volatile but has been moving pretty nicely lately and we used to own it several months ago when it ran all the way to $21. We had a day where they got a $15M contract that pushed it 35% in 1 day where my head almost exploded. The stock is volatile and makes big moves when they win contracts from the government for more vests but it has been doing real well lately. If you have any questions about it at all just fire away. I've been following the company every day, all day, for 12 months.

I also own TOLL Brothers (TOL-NYSE) at $41.25 since sometime last summer (It Recently Split on July 11th from $104 to $52 a share). That's been my biggest winner of the year, go homebuilders go. We also did a private placement and venture capital deal to bring Allion Health Care (ALLI) public at $14 a share. It went public a couple weeks ago and is trading at $16 something lately. Most of our clients got in at $6 a share and made a boat load.

Any particular sectors you like? I do this crap for a living and anything to keep me from cold calling all day is a relief.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:16 am

I just got another tip about 5 minutes ago on a Utility company called Thomas and Betts. (TNB - NYSE) The company is trading at about $30/share so I doubt it's a small cap. Rumor has it from one of our clients who works for them that we just talked to they're looking for contracts to rebuild the infrastructure of the U.S.'s energy grid that is getting more than $50 Billion in funding. This guy we talked to owns options at $16 so apparently he knows what he's talking about. There's a lot of pub about this so it's far from inside information...Here is a recent article from TheStreet.com about it.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/funds/jubak/10230041_4.html

Thomas & Betts (TNB:NYSE - commentary - research) reported revenue of $317 million from its electrical segment, its biggest business, and certainly sales of utilities of electrical connectors and components figure into that revenue total. But it's the company's smaller steel-structures segment, which builds and sells steel utility polls, that gives Thomas & Betts the most leverage to a pickup in transmission construction.

The company recently purchased Southern Monopole, which added $5 million in sales to steel-structures-sales revenue of $45 million for the first quarter of 2005. Operating margins for the steel-structures business picked up modestly in the first quarter; I'd expect higher revenue to increase margins for the rest of 2005 and into 2006.

Wall Street analysts are projecting earnings of $1.79 a share in 2005, 25% growth, and then $2.07 a share in 2006. That would mark a slowdown to 15% growth, still quite respectable for a stock selling at 16 times projected 2005 earnings per share. The shares would be even more intriguing, of course, if new transmission construction pushed earnings above Wall Street estimates in 2006. Thomas & Betts reports second-quarter earnings on July 18.

There's a clue in all these plans for more transmission lines -- and more clues in the Senate's version of the energy bill -- to how high oil prices might go before market forces of supply and demand kick in to give consumers a break.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shpuck » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:58 pm

Hey Testi/any others,

Any good hints as to how to get into the stock market? I'm on a pretty tight budget until I finish grad school (next year), and the stock market seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in.

As I said, not much of my money can go toward stocks now, but I'm interested in any literature/information as to how to go about setting up a portfolio.

Shock, I hope this doesn't come across as a thread hijack. It just seemed like a convenient place to post.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Buy low sell high? Ride the Gravy Train?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:06 pm

shpuck wrote:Hey Testi/any others,

Any good hints as to how to get into the stock market? I'm on a pretty tight budget until I finish grad school (next year), and the stock market seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in.

As I said, not much of my money can go toward stocks now, but I'm interested in any literature/information as to how to go about setting up a portfolio.

Shock, I hope this doesn't come across as a thread hijack. It just seemed like a convenient place to post.

will small capital to work with, mutual funds are the best start. keep it simple to start with, something no-load and index-based with a low expense ratio. Vanguard and Fidelity are good places to start. Educate yourself as well. http://www.motleyfool.com is good for beginners.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby AT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am

RugbyD wrote:
shpuck wrote:Hey Testi/any others,

will small capital to work with, mutual funds are the best start. keep it simple to start with, something no-load and index-based with a low expense ratio. Vanguard and Fidelity are good places to start. Educate yourself as well. http://www.motleyfool.com is good for beginners.

That's good advice. Try to find a fund that invests mostly in mid cap growth stocks. A mutual fund by nature is low risk, low volatility but you don't want to go with the conservative funds because it's not in your best interest given the stage of your life. Mutual funds are good for you because you'll be explosed in the market but won't have to do the work yourself or have to deal with commissions other than management fees and you can rely on someone else to pick the stocks. Spend some time researching which fund(s) to get into and then follow the stocks in their portfolio and you can learn that way. If you want to play around you can start a mock portfolio in Yahoo Finance where you can pick your stocks, the share amount, and the price you "bought them at" and follow its performance. If I were you I'd follow Rugby's advice about the mutual funds, invest in 1 or 2 of those and practice your stock market skills in Yahoo and put together a mock portfolio there.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:12 am

i would say avoid the temptation to be an amateur day trader. seems like a lot of people will buy some stock using an online broker, watch the price all day while they are at work, freak out and panic and do crazy things. the market can do strange things in the short-term. you probably want to be thinking long-term.

i also hear people say they invested in company x because they know its a good company so it will do well. problem with that is the market is already aware that company x is a good company and expectations that it will do well are already factored into the price.

if you have an account with some big like bank one/chase you can probably talk to someone there to get you started on something basic. not sure if they are any good at all but the big banks usually offer such services.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby shpuck » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:17 pm

Great, thanks for they advice guys. I had done some minor snooping a couple years ago, but they got distracted. I'll check out Motley Fool. This Yahoo thing sounds like fantasy Stocks. Is this a good assessment of Yahoo?
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk