ok..this is getting our of hand - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ok..this is getting our of hand

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 am

Half Massed wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:It's definitely not because of me, because I can proudly proclaim I'm probably the only American that's never watched any episode of any of them. :-P

Oh, and Rugby, I completely agree with you, though some may tell you that "cynical" is my middle name. :-B

sorry to shoot you down, but i've avoided them at all costs as well. B-) i agree with rugby also though. the need of people to escape and avoid their own life out of fear or denial has grown hugely over the last years. if people took the time to examine their own lives, many would be depressed with their meaningless job, lack of aspirations and overall purpose, so instead of facing it, coming to terms with it, and god forbid, doing something about it, they turn to anything that will distract them or make them think "at least i have it better than that guy." after all, it's a lot easier to ignore something or get lost in someone else's life than it is to face your own. the concept and obvious point of reality tv shows have disgusted me from the beginning :-P

The one thing about this argument that I can't agree with is that you wouldn't be able to enjoy any TV or Movies. All movies and TV are is an escape to leave your stresses for the hour or two you sit down to watch them. The reason that Reality shows have taken off is simple in my opinion.

You are forced to watch what they broadcast. You can make your choice based on what channel to watch, but you still are forced in a way because you have to make a decision on something or turn the TV off (which means you wouldn't complain because you aren't watching them). Reality shows probably take up 30-60% of all TV shows, without doing the research. This would just be my guess. Therefore many people wind up settling in on one of these channels and therefore become attatched to a show.

The reason so many of these shows are on is not because of demand, but because of the extremely cheap production costs to run these shows. They don't have to pay their actors, which saves them millions. Studios would so much rather throw a reality show on the fall lineup instead of a sitcom.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:28 am

Phatferd wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:It's definitely not because of me, because I can proudly proclaim I'm probably the only American that's never watched any episode of any of them. :-P

Oh, and Rugby, I completely agree with you, though some may tell you that "cynical" is my middle name. :-B

sorry to shoot you down, but i've avoided them at all costs as well. B-) i agree with rugby also though. the need of people to escape and avoid their own life out of fear or denial has grown hugely over the last years. if people took the time to examine their own lives, many would be depressed with their meaningless job, lack of aspirations and overall purpose, so instead of facing it, coming to terms with it, and god forbid, doing something about it, they turn to anything that will distract them or make them think "at least i have it better than that guy." after all, it's a lot easier to ignore something or get lost in someone else's life than it is to face your own. the concept and obvious point of reality tv shows have disgusted me from the beginning :-P

The one thing about this argument that I can't agree with is that you wouldn't be able to enjoy any TV or Movies. All movies and TV are is an escape to leave your stresses for the hour or two you sit down to watch them. The reason that Reality shows have taken off is simple in my opinion.

You are forced to watch what they broadcast. You can make your choice based on what channel to watch, but you still are forced in a way because you have to make a decision on something or turn the TV off (which means you wouldn't complain because you aren't watching them). Reality shows probably take up 30-60% of all TV shows, without doing the research. This would just be my guess. Therefore many people wind up settling in on one of these channels and therefore become attatched to a show.

The reason so many of these shows are on is not because of demand, but because of the extremely cheap production costs to run these shows. They don't have to pay their actors, which saves them millions. Studios would so much rather throw a reality show on the fall lineup instead of a sitcom.

you're absolutely right. i didn't say what i meant very well, but i think it got through more or less. as for the cause of so many reality shows, i agree that it's partly (maybe mostly) due to easiness to make. costs are low, not much plot to write, etc., but i also think it's partly because people crave something that tells them their life isn't so bad and they can't find that in most movies or scripted television shows, so they turn to reality tv to boost their ego, so to speak. and while i think it's sad that people choose to watch a lot of these, i think it's just as bad that the companies take advantage of people and their situation and keep spewing these out. it's easy to see why the do it, and i guess i can't blame them since it's the way the business is, but it's just sad that they have to resort to that.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:48 am

Bring back The Mole! }:-) Not the stupid celebrity version, the real one! }:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:50 am

blankman, you forgot Survivor and Amazing Race.

American Idol just don't make too much sense now. Kelly Clarkson and whoever the white guy is in the 2nd one released some good cds imo. But that Ruben guy and Fantasia is not doing squat. :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
Forgot to mention that jackass British guy(name: I don't remember)

Amazing race: I thought it was good.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Box » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:04 am

I wish the major networks would at least try to produce ONE funny sitcom instead greenlighting every stupid reality project that comes across the desk. I mean, whats the funniest show on the three major networks now? Two and a Half Men? Scrubs? Please. :-o

What happened to the good old days?
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:09 am

It's played Jerry... it's played.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:41 am

Box wrote:What happened to the good old days?

I'm just glad Seinfeld finally came out on DVD so we can get relive some of those days. ;-D That's all I watch anymore, outside of the Law and Order series....all four of them. :*)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pacman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:34 am

I watched some of the Bobby Brown/Whitney Houston reality show on Bravo last night. That is a complete and total trainwreck. I don't think either of those two will reach age 50. They seem to both be wasted all the time.

The show was terribly boring, once you got past the initial car-wreck gawking (which lats about 2-3 minutes).

I usually watch Big Brother each summer. Although this year is off to a slow start, I may not stick with it.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AT » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:47 am

If you guys haven't seen me raving about Rescue Me, Tuesday Nights 10PM on FX...you must watch this show. I hate most TV but this show is absolutely off the charts incredible. You won't be disappointed.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:24 pm

I have never gotten into any reality TV shows.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk