ok..this is getting our of hand - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ok..this is getting our of hand

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ok..this is getting our of hand

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Everytime I turn on the TV there is a Reality Show on. Tonight I think I counted 6 all on at 8pm slot?

Are we truly bored with watching people act on TV?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:11 pm

If you ever see "Tiny House" on, make sure I know. That's one show I still want to watch...

But yeah, the whole reality thing is getting a little old.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 pm

i never understood it. i may be overly cynical, but it seemed to me it was, and still is, fueled by the premise that people are so unimaginative and depressed with their own lives that they feel to need to immerse themselves in someone else's lives, with a heavy focus on the failures in an effort to feel better about themselves. I'm sure nobody watches the early-season american idol shows for the good singers, but rather to fell superior to the hacks who actually have the balls to go in there and fail rather than sit at home wallowing in anonymous mediocrity without prospects.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:39 pm

It's definitely not because of me, because I can proudly proclaim I'm probably the only American that's never watched any episode of any of them. :-P

Oh, and Rugby, I completely agree with you, though some may tell you that "cynical" is my middle name. :-B
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:58 pm

I don't watch reality shows. They all suck because they are all staged, pre-scripted and, thus, not reality.

I remember when Maxim discovered the Survivor was going to be a wussy show. I paraphrase their article here:

Maxim wrote:When we first heard about Survivor, we were so pumped that we decied to devote three pages to the show. When we heard that they were going to be coming the sand for snakes before the people even got there, we realized this show was going to be for pansies. Now, instead of three pages to promote the show, we've decided to devote one page to making fun of it.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ensanimal » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:06 am

Big Pimpin wrote:If you ever see "Tiny House" on, make sure I know. That's one show I still want to watch...

isn't that a geico commercial or something? :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:07 am

ensanimal wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:If you ever see "Tiny House" on, make sure I know. That's one show I still want to watch...

isn't that a geico commercial or something? :-?

lol... It sure is, and it's freakin' hilarious!

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:56 am

I agree. The theory: "lets take everything that goes wrong in people's lives, and then capitalize on their misery by making a TV show about it."

See: Nanny 911 and this new show Brat Camp which is about messed up teenagers who do coke etc.

My mom watches practically all of these shows and my computer faces the TV so I see them too. My review

Dancing with the Stars :-t :-t :-t
American Idol (nice idea the first time, then got increasingly retarded) :-t
Hell's Kitchen- kind of funny bc he's such a jerk; I watch most of it ;-D
Beauty and the Geek- one of the best- hot women and dorks to laugh at ;-D ;-D
The Scholar- by far the worst ever; entirely unrealistic; they judge students on ability to bring fans to games, read to children, build something for charity, decide scholarships on questions about pretty useless items like African geography, take these kids to night clubs where we see their bogus relationship garbage and more entirely useless garbage that has nothing to do with going to college; I now have to wear headphones when its on and tape a huge piece of paper over my screen so I can't even see it :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
The Swan- a show about plastic surgery; just sickening; live with what you're given :-t :-t
Sports Kids, Sports Parents- a show about overbearing parents, living out their sports dreams through their kids. Not that bad ;-D x .5
Average Joe- Put a hot girl on a Bachelorette type show, but mess with her by making all the guys ugly. Then bring in arrogant attractive a-holes and watch her pick them over the other guys; as a "twist" take the first average guy voted off and give him massive plastic surgery and put him back in it; finally, this season, the girl's not even hot :-t :-t :-t
Fear Factor- was good and fresh at first; now its too much about being gross and the whole thing has gone stale, even when the contestants are Playboy bunnies (at thats saying a lot) ;-D :-t

I just found out Big Brother is still going. I thought that died after the first season. Bad show.

Survivor has worn out its entertainment.

Let me know what I missed; chances are, my mom's watched it, meaning I've seen a bit of it at least :-[
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:58 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:It's definitely not because of me, because I can proudly proclaim I'm probably the only American that's never watched any episode of any of them. :-P

Oh, and Rugby, I completely agree with you, though some may tell you that "cynical" is my middle name. :-B

sorry to shoot you down, but i've avoided them at all costs as well. B-) i agree with rugby also though. the need of people to escape and avoid their own life out of fear or denial has grown hugely over the last years. if people took the time to examine their own lives, many would be depressed with their meaningless job, lack of aspirations and overall purpose, so instead of facing it, coming to terms with it, and god forbid, doing something about it, they turn to anything that will distract them or make them think "at least i have it better than that guy." after all, it's a lot easier to ignore something or get lost in someone else's life than it is to face your own. the concept and obvious point of reality tv shows have disgusted me from the beginning :-P
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk