Excel help!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Excel help!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Excel help!!

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:43 pm

Please help any1!!!

I have a column of dates in chronological order spanning 3 years, however not every day - i.e. 7 july 1998, 13 july 1998 etc....

What I need to do is assign a numerical value to each of these dates. For example the first date in the series is "1"....the last "701". Apparently Excel stores the data for dates as a number but it wont let me change the display to show it simply as one number which refers to what day it was. Can anyone help?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Insert an empty column next to your date. Hard code the number "1" in the first row. Then hold down the Control key, hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell with 1 in it, then drag down all the way to the bottom.

You'll most likely pull down too far, but just click in the cell with first number that is past your data, hold Shift + Control + (Down Arrow) and that will highlight all the extras so you can delete them.

Let me know if that doesn't work.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:03 pm

I actually found out how to do it in case anyone is EVER wondering.

(Thanks Pimpin for the help).

You type 1 into an empty cell, copy, highlight the dates, "paste special" click multiply and that will give you the numerical value for the dates! :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:06 pm

Press F1 ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:27 pm

RynMan wrote:I actually found out how to do it in case anyone is EVER wondering.

You type 1 into an empty cell, copy, highlight the dates, "paste special" click multiply and that will give you the numerical value for the dates! :-D

Even easier: Select the entire column -> Format Cells -> Change the Number format to General.

All dates are sequentially number starting with day number zero, which is 1/1/1900. Changing the format of the cell/row/column tells Excel to display the date in its numeric format.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:30 pm

JTWood wrote:
RynMan wrote:I actually found out how to do it in case anyone is EVER wondering.

Even easier: Select the entire column -> Format Cells -> Change the Number format to General.

All dates are sequentially number starting with day number zero, which is 1/1/1900. Changing the format of the cell/row/column tells Excel to display the date in its numeric format.

;-D

:,-(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:09 pm

JTWood wrote:

;-D

Very true. I thought he was trying to go 1 thru 701 or whatever, not just their "numbers" as far as days go...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Return to General Talk