The Official "I've Lost So Much Respect For Sheff" Club - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official "I've Lost So Much Respect For Sheff" Club

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Official "I've Lost So Much Respect For Sheff" Club

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:28 pm

Heh heh heh... I've never started one of these "official" threads before, but this should be fun.

At the start of the year, I considered Sheffield to be one of the few guys in baseball whom I held in high regard. He was such a soldier playing through that terrible shoulder injury last year and still putting up extremely solid numbers.

The he went on that whining tirade because he wasn't smart enough to ask for a no-trade clause. Now he's got this "My season is when I get paid" nonsense.

In a matter of just a few short weeks, I have absolutely lost all respect for this guy.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Do we really need yet another thread about his comments?

I think everyone's said all they need to say about him already.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:32 pm

Yeah, there's already a few threads on this but I find it hard to disagree. I cheer for him because he plays for my team, and he's on my fantasy team, but I don't like the guy at all as a person.

As I've said before, I can understand if all he said was, "I'm not sure I want to participate and risk an injury or something that could be detrimental to the Yankees," but when he says things like "My season is when I get paid," it's just stupid.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:34 pm

blankman wrote:Do we really need yet another thread about his comments?

Really? Because I've only seen random comments in other threads. I haven't really seen a thread devoted solely to him (seriously). If there are 14 others, I apologize. I just didn't see one handy where I could chime in at, so I thought I'd start my own.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Box » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:35 pm

He doesn't want to play, thats fine. No one is forced to go to the Olympics (at least on this side of Communism), so why should he feel obligated to play in the World Cup.

It really doesn't matter, the DR's dream team is going to crush the US with or without Sheff.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:36 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

Really? Because I've only seen random comments in other threads. I haven't really seen a thread devoted solely to him (seriously). If there are 14 others, I apologize. I just didn't see one handy where I could chime in at, so I thought I'd start my own.

I started one in the Yankees forum but that's it. I would've put it here but I didn't want to catch flak for starting more Yankee threads.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dannyolbb » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:38 pm

I lost all respect for Shef a long time ago. Right around the time that he admitted to making errors on purpose to get out of Milwaulkee.

He's whined about every team he's played for, except the Braves. And I think they have something in the Kool-Aid down in Atlanta.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

I started one in the Yankees forum but that's it. I would've put it here but I didn't want to catch flak for starting more Yankee threads.

I should have checked there. I never really read any of the team forums other than the Cards'.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:38 pm

I do think he's a prick overall, but I think what he said is interpreted wrong, atleast in my opinion. I don't think that he's not going because he's not getting paid, I think it's moreso that it's not in his job description to go, so why should he type of thing. While his shoulder's been pretty banged up and with other issues going on, I don't think he wants to risk getting hurt or missing rest for something that's optional.
Last edited by MMoNeY24 on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:40 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:I do think he's a prick overall, but I think what he said is interpreted wrong, atleast in my opinion. I don't think that he's not going because he's not getting paid, I think it's moreso that it's not in his job description to go, so why should he type of thing. While his shoulder's been pretty banged up and with other issues going on, I don't think he wants to risk getting hurt or missing rest for something that's optional.

I'm not faulting him for not wanting to go, I'm faulting him for all the stupid money-related comments he makes. This is one of many. Before the season, he wanted to restructure his contract. Then a few weeks ago dealing with the Cameron thing, he said that teams want him to do extra things like be a leader and play with fire and emotion, but they don't want to pay for those things.

He makes ok points, but he craps all over his credibility with dumb statements like that. He comes off as whiny and selfish.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers