Current HOF players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Current HOF players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Current HOF players

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:07 am

mweir145 wrote:I would think that the Yankees play a harder schedule in the AL East anyway than the Padres in the NL West, but I'm not gonna dig up any stats..

There's no need for stats. It's blatantly obvious that the AL East has been stronger than the NL West since unbalanced scheduling.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:36 am

blankman wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I would think that the Yankees play a harder schedule in the AL East anyway than the Padres in the NL West, but I'm not gonna dig up any stats..

There's no need for stats. It's blatantly obvious that the AL East has been stronger than the NL West since unbalanced scheduling.

From top to bottom, you are extremely wrong. By my calculations, since the beginning of 2001, the AL East is a combined 16 games under .500 while the NL West is a combined 44 games over .500 during the same time frame. Might be the Tampa Bay factor but it is anything but blatantly obvious.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:41 am

Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:

From top to bottom, you are extremely wrong. By my calculations, since the beginning of 2001, the AL East is a combined 16 games under .500 while the NL West is a combined 44 games over .500 during the same time frame. Might be the Tampa Bay factor but it is anything but blatantly obvious.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. I just wasn't as quick to the stats as you. ;-)

But regardless, if there is one position that is probably the least affected by opponent strength, it's the relief pitcher, more specifically, the closer. It is a very weak argument to be made.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:43 am

Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:

It's all the Orioles and Devil Rays... weighing the strength of schedule down for the Yankees.

I just got completely forgot how terrible Baltimore was from 2001-2003... ;-7
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:43 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. I just wasn't as quick to the stats as you. ;-)

But regardless, if there is one position that is probably the least affected by opponent strength, it's the relief pitcher, more specifically, the closer. It is a very weak argument to be made.

Agreed. That's why there are closers to be drafted on teams like the Reds and the Brewers. At least when their closers don't stink.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:50 am

Lofunzo wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:

Agreed. That's why there are closers to be drafted on teams like the Reds and the Brewers. At least when their closers don't stink.

Well it also helps to get more save opps, that's the reason I drafted Rivera. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:52 am

Good teams don't nessicarily mean more save opps. Are the Yankees more likely to blow a team out or win by 1 run? Logic would tell you the former. That again, is why you see guys like Danny Kolb (last year) and Graves, as well as even Chad Cordero this year (on the worst offense in baseball) getting so many saves.

There really isn't a correlation to team performance and saves. It's strange but true. As long as the closer doesn't completely suck, he'll get his fair share of saves, no matter how good or bad the team is.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:55 am

mweir145 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:

Well it also helps to get more save opps, that's the reason I drafted Rivera. :-D

Actually, I was saying that the Brewers and the Reds of the league can also be among the league leaders in save opps. They have over recent history.
Lofunzo

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:57 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Good teams don't nessicarily mean more save opps. Are the Yankees more likely to blow a team out or win by 1 run? Logic would tell you the former. That again, is why you see guys like Danny Kolb (last year) and Graves, as well as even Chad Cordero this year (on the worst offense in baseball) getting so many saves.

There really isn't a correlation to team performance and saves. It's strange but true. As long as the closer doesn't completely suck, he'll get his fair share of saves, no matter how good or bad the team is.

Ya i guess this is true as well. You can always catch lightning in a bottle, so to speak.

Rivera's numbers aren't too shabby, though. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:56 am

TheYanks04 wrote:As to HOF...the standard is a running joke with Jime Rice not in, Rich Gossage not in, Don Mattingly not in, but guys like Bill Mazeroski, Ozzie Smith and Kirby Puckett (almost identical number to Mattingly) in. When guys like Mazeroski and Smith get in, you may as well just let everyone in as it bacomes a total farce. Smith is in but Jim Rice isn't...it is really laughable when you think about it.

Ozzie deserves it. Was a top 10 ss easy. The fact Mattingly's numbers are close to Puckett is moot. You compare players to their peers at their position. Puckett played a defensive position (cf).

Glavine, Smoltz are borderline imo.

Biggio is a top 10 2b, he should get in.

Hoffman/Rivera was debated before. It was shown Hoffman wins peak, Rivera career.

As far as Ichiro/Pujols. If they didn't play again, they have no shot. You have to have 10 years in to be eligible as a player.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers