Who is the BEST GM in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the BEST GM in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KPucks » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:32 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
JGreer wrote:Hootie, Hootie, Hootie. You just don't get it.

Anyone else find that incredibly funny, or was it just me? :-D

I got a good chuckle out of that one too :-D

I would have to rate Schurholtz #1 because 13 straight pennants is unthinkable. Sure, he only won one World Series, but the best teams don't always win in the playoffs (as evidenced by the recent run of wild card teams to win the World Series). Producing a winning team over a 162 game season for 13 straight years is as good as it gets today, maybe ever.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:41 pm

JGreer wrote:Nobody is doubting that C Lee is producing more runs. He is hitting in the #4 hole in the lineup. He is a power hitter. You can spout off your little formulas all you want. The Sox are a better team with Scott Podsednik than they were with Lee. Ask any Sox fan, player, coach, or hater. Ask the Minnesota Twins. And when you factor in that Podsednik makes $700k and the Sox were able to spend the remainer of Lee's salary on guys like Iguchi, Hermanson, Dye, and El Duque. Would I trade C Lee for Pods in a fantasy league? Hell no. GMs are not playing fantasy baseball. Kenny Williams knew they would lose some power in the deal.............I'm done discussing this with you.......Hootie..........you'll never get it.

2004 White Sox - 83-79
2005 White Sox - 60-29

I get it just fine. Anyone can see Chicago is winning more because of PITCHING. It's not because Lee is gone, and Pods is there. The fact Lee is hitting 4th has no bearing on his runs created. Those little formulas show player value. If Pods was hitting like Ichiro last year, you would be correct. But he's not. Chicago is scoring less runs then last year, yet winning more. It makes a huge difference when the team era drops 1.5 runs from a year ago. Garland, Garcia, Buehrle, Hermanson are the reason for the big improvement. If Lee was still there, there's little doubt Chicago would be scoring more then the 4.75 runs they now are scoring, and hence likely would have more wins. If Chicago was throwing up the 5 era they did last year, Pods wouldn't even be mentioned by Sox fans.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:48 am

JGreer wrote:2004 White Sox - 83-79
2005 White Sox - 60-29

Put that one up on the board. YES!!

Reinsdorf's also stated their are no limits on what they'll add to the payroll either for this year. ;-D The Sox are in as good of position to add a big name player as any contender, but is there any reason to make a blockbuster???

Talk on '670 The Score' was that the Giants could be looking at some of the Sox OF prospects (Anderson, Sweeney, Young) to be in a Schmidt deal. They also discussed Omar Vizquel (moving Uribe to Utility or 3B if Crede can't go), but I'd prefer Tony Graffinino (whom they also talked about as a solid bench guy) because he's cheaper (Vizquel I believe has 2 more years on his contract.

The Giants really seem like the best bet to deal with given they've got one of the worst systems in baseball. I just don't know how much I like him considering his lack of success this year, as well as moving from SF's pitcher's park (Pac Bell? PNC?...can't recall the name) to the Cell (as well as from the NL to AL).

I'd prefer AJ Burnett over any pitcher likely to be available, but there's no need to take on Lowell's contract with Crede, Randa as an option and Josh Fields in the minors & only have AJ as a rental. And the Fish want Damaso, which ain't happening.

I was kind of surprised with the amount of talk of trading for SP. With Mark, Freddy & Jon, we've got a great threesome for the playoffs and throw in Josie for a Game 4 if needed -- which should be a road game (where he's got a 3.50 ERA and .189 BAA).

I won't put anything past Kenny Williams because he's already proved he's a WIN NOW guy in every move he's made, but I don't think he'll pony up the farm here. I'd look for a couple minor moves. I'm content with that.
Last edited by Registered_Guest on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:50 am

HOOTIE wrote:
JGreer wrote:Nobody is doubting that C Lee is producing more runs. He is hitting in the #4 hole in the lineup. He is a power hitter. You can spout off your little formulas all you want. The Sox are a better team with Scott Podsednik than they were with Lee. Ask any Sox fan, player, coach, or hater. Ask the Minnesota Twins. And when you factor in that Podsednik makes $700k and the Sox were able to spend the remainer of Lee's salary on guys like Iguchi, Hermanson, Dye, and El Duque. Would I trade C Lee for Pods in a fantasy league? Hell no. GMs are not playing fantasy baseball. Kenny Williams knew they would lose some power in the deal.............I'm done discussing this with you.......Hootie..........you'll never get it.

2004 White Sox - 83-79
2005 White Sox - 60-29

I get it just fine. Anyone can see Chicago is winning more because of PITCHING. It's not because Lee is gone, and Pods is there. The fact Lee is hitting 4th has no bearing on his runs created. Those little formulas show player value. If Pods was hitting like Ichiro last year, you would be correct. But he's not. Chicago is scoring less runs then last year, yet winning more. It makes a huge difference when the team era drops 1.5 runs from a year ago. Garland, Garcia, Buehrle, Hermanson are the reason for the big improvement. If Lee was still there, there's little doubt Chicago would be scoring more then the 4.75 runs they now are scoring, and hence likely would have more wins. If Chicago was throwing up the 5 era they did last year, Pods wouldn't even be mentioned by Sox fans.

Hootie is 100% dead on here. Chicago is winning because of their improved pitching, not because of the Lee/Podsednik deal. By all measures, that was a terrible trade.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:18 am

beltrans_boy wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

2004 White Sox - 83-79
2005 White Sox - 60-29

Hootie is 100% dead on here. Chicago is winning because of their improved pitching, not because of the Lee/Podsednik deal. By all measures, that was a terrible trade.

Agreed. Scottie's a nice player, but Carlos is superior and the Brewers got the better of the deal, no doubt. Like Hootie said, RC values have nothing to do what spot in the batting order, it's just a measure of player value. Further, Scott's VORP is 14.3 this year, and Lee's is 27.2, making Carlos almost twice as valuable over the replacement level player as Po. The White Sox have been great this year, and it can be entirely attributed to their pitching. Their offense has been worse than last year, but the pitching is phenomenal. And congrats for that Sox fans, you've got a great team. I would kill to have Buehrle/Garland/Garcia, they've been great. But you'll never convince me that Po was a good trade for the Sox.

The one thing I will agree with is that dealing Lee freed up quite a few dollars, as JGreer outlined, which was a positive. Williams did a nice job picking up Hermansen (who has bailed out Vizcaino) and Dye, although I didn't like the El Duque pickup.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers