Who is the BEST GM in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the BEST GM in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:38 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:If we're talking GM of the year, I'd go with Kenny Williams of the Sox.

Pods is perfect for what the Sox are. Manufacturing runs and solid defense (great range). There's no doubting Carlos is having a standout season at the dish, but he's got terrible range in LF. The deal was great for both sides (a rare occurrence).

Sox needed a leadoff guy in the worst way & Kenny believed Dye could put up suitable stats for Lee.

Every Sox fan i have seen, loves Pods. Nice player, but quite short of CLee. And most Sox fans believe the offense is better. Not true.

This year Chicago is scoring 4.75 runs per game (Pods). Last year Chicago scored 5.34 runs per game (CLee). That's .59 runs per game less.

This year CLee has 67 RC ranking 16th.
Pods has 43 RC ranking 96th.

The sb and glove won't make up the 24 RC differnce, likely to be 40+ by seasons end. Pods could steal 100 bases, and Chicago could win 110 games, but it's not because of Pods or a better offense. It's all pitching. Chicago has a 3.57 era to last years 4.91.

Everything aside, I'll take Pods + Dye over Lee + Harris/Ozuna (whomever you believe could hit leadoff GULP! ) on this squad. The Sox took a Top 5 leadoff guy over perhaps one of the Top 10 power OF's in the game. Given their team need, looks like the right choice.

Sox fans are happy for Carlos -- but I've yet to hear anyone at any home game this season say they want him back. Fans know what Pods brings to the table to this squad as a table setter. The Podsednik's of the world are a dying breed in this day in baseball.

No doubt the pitching has been the key. The #5 starter to begin the season is an All Star and mentioned for Cy Young. In Buerhle, Garcia, Garland, they've got a solid 1-2-3 for the playoffs as well. Just as the pitching has improved, so has the defense......the entire left side of the diamond has improved 100%. No more JOSE VALENTIN!!!!!!!! (Can't emphasize how much I'm glad he's finally gone). Crede is playing Gold Glove caliber defense (if not for a remarkable run by Blalock, he'd most definitely have to be considered for the squad) and Pods is obviously an ugrade over Lee in what he covers. Uribe hasn't been great, but he's better than anything Valentin put up for the Sox in the field.

I've not stated I believe the offense is better than last year. I stated the are better at manufacturing runs. No more having to wait for the 3-run HR (which look no furthur than the North side to see this in full effect). No more station-2-station offense.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:09 am

Registered_Guest wrote: Everything aside, I'll take Pods + Dye over Lee + Harris/Ozuna (whomever you believe could hit leadoff GULP! ) on this squad. The Sox took a Top 5 leadoff guy over perhaps one of the Top 10 power OF's in the game. Given their team need, looks like the right choice.

I feel similarly about how the Brewers changed. I'd rather have our current situation...

CF Brady Clark .814 OPS
LF Carlos Lee .863 OPS

...then the production we got from those spots last year (2004 stats)...

CF Scott Podsednik .667 OPS
LF Geoff Jenkins .798 OPS

Heck, right now, this minute, I would not trade Brady Clark straight up to get Podsednik back. I like Scottie, a lot actually, and I can't thank him enough for ultimately landing us El Caballo. But bottom line, offensively Scottie only bests Brady stealing bases, and Brady has similar range with a better arm in the field.

Ultimately, the fact that Scottie plays left also hurts him. His .717 OPS and minus arm are generally unacceptable attributes at a classic "power position" where arm strength is considered a must. And it's not as if the current CF (Rowand) is compensating for Po's lack of offensive production with his identical .717 OPS as well.

The Sox have been great so far, so it's hard to knock them. But, it is my opinion that they'd be even better with Carlos instead of Scottie Po. They have fantastic pitching with adequete hitting.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:35 am

Everything aside, I'll take Pods + Dye over Lee + Harris/Ozuna (whomever you believe could hit leadoff GULP! ) on this squad. The Sox took a Top 5 leadoff guy over perhaps one of the Top 10 power OF's in the game. Given their team need, looks like the right choice.

Pods is not a top five leadoff hitter, at least not statistically. There were plenty of other leadoff hitters to be had cheap; Dave Roberts could have been had for a bag full of peanuts (Jay Payton) and a gumball (Ramon Vazquez). No way was Podsednik/Lee a good deal for the Sox and in the years to come this trade will be a laughing stock.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JGreer » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:04 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:If we're talking GM of the year, I'd go with Kenny Williams of the Sox.

Pods is perfect for what the Sox are. Manufacturing runs and solid defense (great range). There's no doubting Carlos is having a standout season at the dish, but he's got terrible range in LF. The deal was great for both sides (a rare occurrence).

Sox needed a leadoff guy in the worst way & Kenny believed Dye could put up suitable stats for Lee.

Every Sox fan i have seen, loves Pods. Nice player, but quite short of CLee. And most Sox fans believe the offense is better. Not true.

This year Chicago is scoring 4.75 runs per game (Pods). Last year Chicago scored 5.34 runs per game (CLee). That's .59 runs per game less.

This year CLee has 67 RC ranking 16th.
Pods has 43 RC ranking 96th.

The sb and glove won't make up the 24 RC differnce, likely to be 40+ by seasons end. Pods could steal 100 bases, and Chicago could win 110 games, but it's not because of Pods or a better offense. It's all pitching. Chicago has a 3.57 era to last years 4.91.

Hootie, Hootie, Hootie. You just don't get it. Yes, the are scoring a half a run less. But they are scoring more consistently. Last year, and the previous 3-4 years, the White Sox had one of the highest scoring offenses in baseball. But it was all or nothing. 12 runs one day, 1 the next. They couldn't get it done in the close games. This year, they are something like 28-10 in one-run games. Because of Williams aquisition of Podsednik and Iguchi at the top of the order, they have been able to manufacture runs when needed to win games without 3 run homers. I credit Williams for diagnosing this problem and fixing it. Is C Lee a great hitter? Yes. Is he a better fantasy player than Pods? Yes. Did that move make the White Sox a better team? Yes.
JGreer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Armed and Hammered wrote:If you asked me this question at the beginning of the year I might have said Brian Sabean. This year has me scratching my head though.

My thoughts exactly. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:23 pm

JGreer wrote:Hootie, Hootie, Hootie. You just don't get it.

Anyone else find that incredibly funny, or was it just me? :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:38 am

JGreer wrote:Hootie, Hootie, Hootie. You just don't get it. Yes, the are scoring a half a run less. But they are scoring more consistently. Last year, and the previous 3-4 years, the White Sox had one of the highest scoring offenses in baseball. But it was all or nothing. 12 runs one day, 1 the next. They couldn't get it done in the close games. Did that move make the White Sox a better team? Yes.

What exactly don't i get? The fact Chicago with Pods is scoring .59 runs less? The fact Pods ops ranks 7th on his own team of the starting 9? The fact Pods 5.42 RC is about a run less then CLees 6.41? The fact CLee has 18 more RC in 90 games, meaning CLee creates 1 more run then Pods every 5 games? You as a Sox fan should surely know this. The fact that last year Chicago was 28-18 in one run games, ranking 4th in mlb in most wins by 1 run? Do you honestly believe Chicago is better with Pods over CLee? I see nothing that really points to that.

As far as Chicago needing a leadoff hitter, every hitters job is to create runs. Labeling a guy this or that is nothing but words. They should have got Pods cheaper. Moving Lee cost them in offense. You really want a guy (Pods), who likely will create about 35 less runs then Lee? 35 runs from just one spot in order isn't chump change.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Hbj79 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:07 am

I saw that someone mentioned J.P early in this thread.....

I don't mind the guy but I don't think you can include any GM in this thread who has given away Cesar Izturis and Felipe Lopez in the last 4 years. You should maybe hold onto your 21 year old future allstars or atleast get something for them (and he probably passed on Gagne when trading Izturis).
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby looptid » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:09 am

Registered_Guest wrote:I've not stated I believe the offense is better than last year. I stated the are better at manufacturing runs. No more having to wait for the 3-run HR (which look no furthur than the North side to see this in full effect). No more station-2-station offense.

This is another myth. A lower percentage of scoring from homeruns does not make an offense more consistant.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JGreer » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:38 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
JGreer wrote:Hootie, Hootie, Hootie. You just don't get it. Yes, the are scoring a half a run less. But they are scoring more consistently. Last year, and the previous 3-4 years, the White Sox had one of the highest scoring offenses in baseball. But it was all or nothing. 12 runs one day, 1 the next. They couldn't get it done in the close games. Did that move make the White Sox a better team? Yes.

What exactly don't i get? The fact Chicago with Pods is scoring .59 runs less? The fact Pods ops ranks 7th on his own team of the starting 9? The fact Pods 5.42 RC is about a run less then CLees 6.41? The fact CLee has 18 more RC in 90 games, meaning CLee creates 1 more run then Pods every 5 games? You as a Sox fan should surely know this. The fact that last year Chicago was 28-18 in one run games, ranking 4th in mlb in most wins by 1 run? Do you honestly believe Chicago is better with Pods over CLee? I see nothing that really points to that.

As far as Chicago needing a leadoff hitter, every hitters job is to create runs. Labeling a guy this or that is nothing but words. They should have got Pods cheaper. Moving Lee cost them in offense. You really want a guy (Pods), who likely will create about 35 less runs then Lee? 35 runs from just one spot in order isn't chump change.

Nobody is doubting that C Lee is producing more runs. He is hitting in the #4 hole in the lineup. He is a power hitter. You can spout off your little formulas all you want. The Sox are a better team with Scott Podsednik than they were with Lee. Ask any Sox fan, player, coach, or hater. Ask the Minnesota Twins. And when you factor in that Podsednik makes $700k and the Sox were able to spend the remainer of Lee's salary on guys like Iguchi, Hermanson, Dye, and El Duque. Would I trade C Lee for Pods in a fantasy league? Hell no. GMs are not playing fantasy baseball. Kenny Williams knew they would lose some power in the deal.............I'm done discussing this with you.......Hootie..........you'll never get it.

2004 White Sox - 83-79
2005 White Sox - 60-29
JGreer
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers