Who is the BEST GM in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the BEST GM in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:48 pm

1. Schuerholz
2. Beinfest
3. Ryan
4. Epstien
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

Postby citti34 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:02 pm

Rick James.
Image
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 608
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Schuerholz by far, longevity is the benchmark for success in baseball and what he has done in Atlanta and Kansas City before that (well the Mark Davis signing aside) is up there in the realm of Branch Rickey and George Weiss.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:13 am

dannyolbb wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:Anyway, that being said, my top 5 GM's currently would go like this...

1. John Schuerholz
2. Billy Beane
3. Theo Epstein
4. Terry Ryan
5. Doug Melvin

...with a very honorable mention to JP Riccardi and Walt Jocketty.


This seems about right to me, though I'd probably put Jocketty above Melvin.


Fair enough. I have some bias, of course, but I do truly think that Melvin is quickly rising up the ranks. I can't think of a single move that has been a "disaster" for him, unlike the multitude of such moves made by the regimes preceding him. His trades of Sexson to Arz, Ginter to Oak, Podsednik to ChW, Kolb to Atl, and Franklin to SF have all been fleecings, or at least advantageous so far. He's finally given us hope.

That said, I can see why one would put Jocketty ahead of Melvin, and frankly really can't argue against it. For me the top 3 are clear cut, then the next 4 or so are very close to each other.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:00 am

If we're talking GM of the year, I'd go with Kenny Williams of the Sox.

Pods is perfect for what the Sox are. Manufacturing runs and solid defense (great range). There's no doubting Carlos is having a standout season at the dish, but he's got terrible range in LF. The deal was great for both sides (a rare occurrence).

Sox needed a leadoff guy in the worst way & Kenny believed Dye could put up suitable stats for Lee. Others have listed the cheap offseason acquisitions by Kenny. Kenny has made a few curious acquisitions during his tenure, but the guy always looks to WIN NOW. Got to love that.

If we're talking over the past few seasons, it's hard to argue against Schuerholz or Jocketty.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 955
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:14 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:The reason the White Sox are so good is because of Mark Buerhle and Jon Garland. Garland was drafted in 1997 and Buerhle in 1998. Kenny didn't take over the team until 2000.


Doesn't the GM job include day-2-day, year-2-year operations??
Who decided to re-sign Mark Buehrle after the 2003 season?? Who decided to keep Garland on the club when most people on the south side (myself included) wanted him out of town??
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 955
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:48 am

Defensively Pods is average at best in CF.

Buehrle would have been the with the team this year anyway. All Williams did was buy out his arbitration years and get a $9.5 million option for 2007.

Plus you want to give Williams credit for not making a mistake and getting rid of Garland.

I'm not saying Williams is bad but let's give him a couple year before bring up his name as BEST GM.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 389)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby pmacxx2 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Defensively Pods is average at best in CF.

Buehrle would have been the with the team this year anyway. All Williams did was buy out his arbitration years and get a $9.5 million option for 2007.

Plus you want to give Williams credit for not making a mistake and getting rid of Garland.

I'm not saying Williams is bad but let's give him a couple year before bring up his name as BEST GM.


Pods doesn't play center field, he plays left. I would hardly call a 3-year contract "buying out arbitration years." Arbitration is a year-to-year process where performance is accounted in determining the contract. Therefore, who knows how is arbitration number would have fluctuated during those 3-years.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 120
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:28 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:If we're talking GM of the year, I'd go with Kenny Williams of the Sox.

Pods is perfect for what the Sox are. Manufacturing runs and solid defense (great range). There's no doubting Carlos is having a standout season at the dish, but he's got terrible range in LF. The deal was great for both sides (a rare occurrence).

Sox needed a leadoff guy in the worst way & Kenny believed Dye could put up suitable stats for Lee.


Every Sox fan i have seen, loves Pods. Nice player, but quite short of CLee. And most Sox fans believe the offense is better. Not true.

This year Chicago is scoring 4.75 runs per game (Pods). Last year Chicago scored 5.34 runs per game (CLee). That's .59 runs per game less.

This year CLee has 67 RC ranking 16th.
Pods has 43 RC ranking 96th.

The sb and glove won't make up the 24 RC differnce, likely to be 40+ by seasons end. Pods could steal 100 bases, and Chicago could win 110 games, but it's not because of Pods or a better offense. It's all pitching. Chicago has a 3.57 era to last years 4.91.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:48 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Registered_Guest wrote:If we're talking GM of the year, I'd go with Kenny Williams of the Sox.

Pods is perfect for what the Sox are. Manufacturing runs and solid defense (great range). There's no doubting Carlos is having a standout season at the dish, but he's got terrible range in LF. The deal was great for both sides (a rare occurrence).

Sox needed a leadoff guy in the worst way & Kenny believed Dye could put up suitable stats for Lee.


Every Sox fan i have seen, loves Pods. Nice player, but quite short of CLee. And most Sox fans believe the offense is better. Not true.

This year Chicago is scoring 4.75 runs per game (Pods). Last year Chicago scored 5.34 runs per game (CLee). That's .59 runs per game less.

This year CLee has 67 RC ranking 16th.
Pods has 43 RC ranking 96th.

The sb and glove won't make up the 24 RC differnce, likely to be 40+ by seasons end. Pods could steal 100 bases, and Chicago could win 110 games, but it's not because of Pods or a better offense. It's all pitching. Chicago has a 3.57 era to last years 4.91.


Exactly.

The impact of Pods has been grossly overrated by some.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Tread42 and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact