Who is the BEST GM in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the BEST GM in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:31 pm

LOL...How is this for a resume?...Not in the running hey?:

Brian Cashman General Manager
3 years/$3.5M (2002-04), plus $1.15M 2005 club option

club exercised 2005 option 12/04
assistants Mark Newman & Jean Afterman (aka Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum)

$200 M budget to play with.

Responsible for the fine acquisitions of Javier Vazuez, RJ, Jaret Wright. Carl Pavano, Jay Witasik, Sterling Hitchcock, RonDL, Tony Fossas, Armando Benitez, Denny Neagle, Kevin Brown, Jeff Weaver, Antonio Osuna, Juan Acevedo, Dan Miceli, Felix Heredia, Gabe White, Tony Womack, Jesse Orosco, Paul Quantril, Mike Stanton (well past his prime), Tino Martinez (well past his prime), Jose Contreras, Chris Hammond, Bret Prinz and others most within the past 4 years.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: f

Postby mtarail » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 pm

looptid wrote:
joeg24 wrote:Not to be biased, but Terry Ryan should be considered right up there with Beane

The AJP trade and getting Johan for pocket lint alone gets him in the top 5 if not right up near the top

I would bet Sabean wakes up to nightmares of Ryan in a cold sweat. For a one year rental of AJ, the Twins got Nathan, Franscico Liriano, and Boof Bonser. Liriano has passed guys like Baker and Durbin to become the top pitching prospect in the Twins system and is a lefty. Liriano looks like another ace in the making.

Shannon Stewart for Bobby Kielty was another nice move.

Santana, after being stolen from the Astros by the Marlins, was had for Jared Camp (a minor league pitcher that never made the show) and cash.

Another vote for Terry Ryan.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:01 am

Paul DePo has to be the best numbers nut of the GM circle. He was, after all, the guy who actually crunched the numbers that Billy Beane played off of.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theclefe » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:42 am

Larry Beinfest from Florida. Since 2001, the guy has built the best young pitching staff in the league, signed Degado and found Miggy Cabrera and won a world series. All from the scraps of the big Florida yard sale a few years prior.

He also has Hermida and Olsen coming up soon, top prospects.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:03 am

Hang on a minute.....how IS Terry Ryan getting soo much love? Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he been the GM in Minnesota for a LONG time? This means he was also the GM when the Twins were nearly contracted. The Twins were a horrible team for a while there, and would he still be getting the love if this thread were started during that period?

For me:

1. Schuerholtz
2. Beane
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:06 am

Beane? Refresh my memory...what has he won exactly?

How many WS Titles?
How many AL Pennants?

How many times have they pulled the big choke against the Yanks or the Red Sox?

Oh but Scott Hatteberg is such a valuable player.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:14 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Beane? Refresh my memory...what has he won exactly?

How many WS Titles?
How many AL Pennants?

Ugh. I dont really need to argue this point - just do a search for one of the 50 threads on this topic.

Yankee fans...
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Half Massed » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:17 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Beane? Refresh my memory...what has he won exactly?

How many WS Titles?
How many AL Pennants?

not all of us have $200 million to work with. the fact that he's created a playoff team year after year after year while being unable to hang on to any of the big names on the team (until chavez) puts him right near the top of my list. the trades (until recently, and even those are still up for debate) and drafts he's done just boost him further. you know when other GM's are copying you that you've done something right... i don't see many attending the brian cashman clinic ;-7
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:25 am

Cashman is Clueless...so what?

The Ted Lilly deal worked real well...all 3 sides lost out.
Arthur Rhodes did too...right up their with the Alan Embree/who needs a closer move out of the Jamesian clowns.
Blanton and Haren...TBD.

A lot of GMs make due with limited budgets. So what...does not make them geniuses or to be admired.

See the Marlins or the Padres for an organization that has managed to actually win something with limited means. Or the Cards on a mid-scale budget. I though the object was to win something...silly me.

Beane had a book written about his so-called philospophy which if you want to call it the "How to finish in 2nd to 4th place in your league" Philosphy is pretty successful. Did not realize there is some sort of prize awarded for being in the top 4 year after year but never winning a thing.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:33 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Cashman is Clueless...so what?

The Ted Lilly deal worked real well...all 3 sides lost out.
Arthur Rhodes did too...right up their with the Alan Embree/who needs a closer move out of the Jamesian clowns.
Blanton and Haren...TBD.

A lot of GMs make due with limited budgets. So what...does not make them geniuses or to be admired.

See the Marlins or the Padres for an organization that has managed to actually win something with limited means. Or the Cards on a mid-scale budget. I though the object was to win something...silly me.

Beane had a book written about his so-called philospophy which if you want to call it the "How to finish in 2nd to 4th place in your league" Philosphy is pretty successful. Did not realize there is some sort of prize awarded for being in the top 4 year after year but never winning a thing.

Well the Jays got Ted Lilly, so I'm happy. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers