Who is the worst GM in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the worst GM in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ChoneJohn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:28 pm

KC's GM has to be right up there...and Tampa's.
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:32 pm

George_Foreman wrote:meh. just because steinbrenner meddles doesn't mean cashman should get off the hook. he's the GM. regardless, the yankees don't have the best front office management, no matter who's actually making the calls.

Trust me Cashman is NOT the problem. Do I think he is the solution? Probably not. George is the problem when it comes to guys he likes/dislikes. He dictates a lot of dumb signings.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Box » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:35 pm

Allard Baird, but I'm admittedly biased.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:36 pm

okay. then george is the worst GM in baseball. pin the tail on whichever donkey you like, the yankee's front office hasn't been too hot lately. that's all i'm saying. :-)

also, someone brought up the d-backs. which of their moves have been bad? glaus has worked out well, vazquez has had some horrible luck but he's been really good.... and shawn green has shown significant improvement and should have a very good second half. after last year, the team looks remarkably better....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:41 pm

Yoda wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:meh. just because steinbrenner meddles doesn't mean cashman should get off the hook. he's the GM. regardless, the yankees don't have the best front office management, no matter who's actually making the calls.

Trust me Cashman is NOT the problem. Do I think he is the solution? Probably not. George is the problem when it comes to guys he likes/dislikes. He dictates a lot of dumb signings.

So do those sideshow clowns down in Tampa but that's another story.

Does anyone have a site with the list of GMs?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:41 pm

warrick95 wrote:Some of that is the Boss, though. He could've had Vlad, but he signed Sheff instead.

Chuck LaMar's pretty bad, but he isn't helped by our cheapness. But signing Alex Gonzalez for 3B is inexcusable. And Lou has to get a clue...shouldn't have been our manager in the first place. We should've gotten a developmental manager.

I don't understand how LaMar still has a job after trading Abreu for Kevin Stocker! That trade has to be the worst ever and the fact that the DRays have yet to finish near .500 makes him the worst GM. Ever. Period.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:43 pm

the fact that the d-rays payroll this year is smaller than their revenue sharing should give you some indication of the level of interest the owners have in this team....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:08 pm

I forgot about Lamar, he has been so bad for so long that he is in Elgin Baylor territory.

As for the D-Backs, sure Glaus is not doing bad, but is he really worth that money? And Ortiz? Basically, the DBacks spent an absolute boatload over the off season to build a .450 team. It's not the that ay of the guys they signed have been horrible, it is just that overpaid these guys with long term contracts to achieve a mediocre team. Why not just rebuild and maintain some financial flexibility moving forward?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HAC Wolves » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:21 pm

Brian Sabean is a name that hasnt been mentioned yet but that i will throw up there. He has had 5 years to get a hitter to go with Bonds and hasnt(Alou this year but now no bonds) and he traded Nathan for AJ
Mariners for life

http://img87.echo.cx/img87/1927/paintballsig3xr.jpg

www.mccoypaintball.com
HAC Wolves
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby phunkadelic » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:34 pm

I am biased.... but I vote for Dan O'Brien (Cincy Reds) followed closely by Jim Bowden (Nats).

Those of you who don't know, the Reds fired Bowden a year or two ago, just before signing their current idiot.

I'd also have to put a vote in for whoever in running things in Colorado. They've signed quite a few horrible deals over the last few years.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers