Burnett to Toronto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Burnett to Toronto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Burnett to Toronto?

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:02 pm

From Rotoworld:

With The Blue Jays reeling from Roy Halladay's injury, they could be the favorites to land AJ Burnett. The key would be Burnett agreeing to a contract extension with the Blue Jays.

Apparently the Marlins covet Toronto's rookie left-hander Gustavo Chacin and Toronto will part with him if it lands them Burnett. ''If [Toronto] could sign Burnett, the deal would get done now,'' the source said. Stay tuned. Jul. 13 - 11:38 am et

What do you guys think of this trade? I honestly don't like it that much. Gustavo Chacin is going to be a great pitcher in the MLB and he's young, Burnett is getting older and is also an injury risk. Burnett can be amazing for us, but I don't think we should get him as a result of dealing Chacin in the process.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:24 pm

To get Burnett, you would definitly have to give up more than Chacin. :-?

Chacin isn't going to be anymore than a good #3 to #4 pitcher in this league, while Burnett has ace-like qualities.

If we could get Burnett for Chacin, I think JP would do it in a heartbeat.

But there must be something more to this. I think it would be more along the lines of Gross/Rios and Chacin for him, or Hudson and Chacin for him. And in that case, I would definitly have to think long and hard about it.

I've heard Burnett does want to come here though, because he would like to work with Brad Arnsberg.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:39 pm

I would do that deal in a second...I'm just not sure that it's true.

Where did you get the quote?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Lime » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:01 pm

Burnett is a mere 3 years older than Chacin.

Burnett can put this team over the top as a #2, Chacin doesn't have that power.

And you use the term "great" so loosely that it's an insult to pitchers like Halladay. Chacin is a good quality starter and will never be anything more. I think his current stats are inflated a bit by the fact he's still relatively unknown to Major League hitters.

As mentioned you'd have to give up more than just Chacin to get a guy like Burnett.

I don't think the Jays are going to get anyone of that impact though. Too good to be true.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Roto Authority » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:36 pm

The Blue Jays would do very well to give up Chacin for Burnett, even if they had to take on a salary dump like Lowell. Chacin is a marginal 3rd starter playing over his head. Just made an entry about this in my fantasy baseball blog if you're interested.
The Roto Authority
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:43 pm

i'd love to get burnett in toronto. they can have chacin, no problem, and i'd probably throw in gross as well. i'm not sure if i'd throw in rios though, and they don't really need hudson right now.

burnett is much more of a difference maker than chacin will be. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby sportsguy80 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:36 am

i love the idea of Aj burnett coming to Toronto but i dont think it is a good idea to get rid of Chacin he seems like a good pitcher in the future and would be a Solid 3-4 pitcher in the rotation

im just worried along the road that trading Chacin comes along to bite the jays in the butt thats all

Owner of the Toronto Blue Jays in the Strike Zone Dynasty
sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby The Roto Authority » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:56 am

i see your reason for concern, but i think chacin is just fooling some teams at this point and the league will catch up to him. wouldn't be surprised if that ERA is closer to 5 by year's end.
The Roto Authority
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:13 am

The Roto Authority wrote:i see your reason for concern, but i think chacin is just fooling some teams at this point and the league will catch up to him. wouldn't be surprised if that ERA is closer to 5 by year's end.

Exactly, we can't become like most Yankees fans and overrate every prospect's success just because they are doing well during their first few months (Wang). :-D Just kidding.. :-b But really, you can't expect Chacin to continue this kind of success his entire career...

Florida isn't going to give up Burnett for nothing, and I think in their mind, and in the mind of Marlin fans, Chacin would be nothing.

I think a fair deal in the mind of Marlin Fans and executives would be Rios and Chacin for Burnett, but of course if I was JP I would really have to think about that deal. But that's why I'm not a GM. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Doughhead » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:39 am

mweir145 wrote:
The Roto Authority wrote:i see your reason for concern, but i think chacin is just fooling some teams at this point and the league will catch up to him. wouldn't be surprised if that ERA is closer to 5 by year's end.

Exactly, we can't become like most Yankees fans and overrate every prospect's success just because they are doing well during their first few months (Wang). :-D Just kidding.. :-b But really, you can't expect Chacin to continue this kind of success his entire career...

Florida isn't going to give up Burnett for nothing, and I think in their mind, and in the mind of Marlin fans, Chacin would be nothing.

I think a fair deal in the mind of Marlin Fans and executives would be Rios and Chacin for Burnett, but of course if I was JP I would really have to think about that deal. But that's why I'm not a GM. :-D

I think Rios and Chacin is too much for Burnett. For all his talent, he doens't really have any kind of track record to warrant two top propects. Then again, I'd love to see A.J. come to town and if they can get him for Chacin/John-Ford Griffin (is he still around), then you might as well pull the trigger. Or Chacin/Reed Johnson is another possibility.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Toronto Blue Jays