Why Give Cars to Multi-Millionaires? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Give Cars to Multi-Millionaires?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jjigglers » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:22 am

Youre right, I was considering income from a job.

Learn something new every day.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby This is the year » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:47 am

jjigglers wrote:
WharfRat wrote:For the same reasons they give hefty tax breaks to millionaires. They've got the rest of us by the balls.

I thought your income tax % goes up as your income goes up? :-?

Not if you're Kenneth Lay
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:31 am

My two cents (about all they're worth, I know).

1. I love Tejada. He's one of my absolute favorite players in the game today. I would give my left nut to get him on my fantasy team (I have NEVER owned him in 5 years of fantasy play). To this day I wonder what Oakland was thinking letting a player like him go.

2. The car giveaway thing is just stupid. Typical marketing. Giving a $60,000 car to a guy with tens of millions of dollars in the bank is just ridiculous. Plus it was yellow. What's the deal with that? Tej would never drive a yellow car.

Did I mention I wish I had him on my fantasy team??
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:06 am

at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. $70,000 isn't that much money and how the car company decides to spend it is up to them (since they made the car, their cost is significantly less than $70k, but i'll leave that aside).

no matter what happens, the gesture is going to be symbolic. seventy thousand just doesn't get you very far in most things (to an individual? yes. to a charity? no.) so it's not really a big deal.

however, there is some blindness in denouncing the $70k car as a silly marketing expense on the part of chevrolet and ignoring the bigger picture... my friend produces corporate parties for gq and the like and their budgets for a single even can run up to $5MM. basically, money is spent every day to make some people who don't really need it, feel better. others go without. such is the way of life.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bselig » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:03 pm

Since when do Corvettes cost $70k? Are they trying to break out of the white trash market? The "rich guy getting car" thing doesn't bother me really, but I do feel like it's a bit of a waste when the rich guy gets a shitty car that he probably won't be driving. If they gave Miguel some ridiculously sweet Lamborghini (sp), I'd be happy. Even someone making $10 million will have an "oh, sweet" reaction to that. With a Corvette he'll probably just donate it to charity or give it to a friend as a gift or something stupid and pointless like that.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:10 pm

Matthias wrote:at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. $70,000 isn't that much money and how the car company decides to spend it is up to them (since they made the car, their cost is significantly less than $70k, but i'll leave that aside).

no matter what happens, the gesture is going to be symbolic. seventy thousand just doesn't get you very far in most things (to an individual? yes. to a charity? no.) so it's not really a big deal.

however, there is some blindness in denouncing the $70k car as a silly marketing expense on the part of chevrolet and ignoring the bigger picture... my friend produces corporate parties for gq and the like and their budgets for a single even can run up to $5MM. basically, money is spent every day to make some people who don't really need it, feel better. others go without. such is the way of life.

Sounds like your typical "Cold Hearted Republican".
$70,000 can feed quite a few underprivledged people.
$2,000,000,000 can feed several nations or conduct a war.
(More zeros, same concept)
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:15 pm

I love how people complain about millionaires. Especially pro athletes. Do any of you complainers know what it takes to become a pro athlete? Hard work and a lot of luck. You ahve to be talented enough to be an athlete to begin with. Then you have to work your ass off to even get drafted or get a chance to play minor league ball and not get hurt. Then you have to make that gigantic leap from the minors to the bigs. But wait, there is more. You ahve to compete with 749 other active players whose jobs are threatened every day by about 50,000 hungry players trying to take yours. Then you have to earn a starting gig. If you are a position player, there are only 255 available. 150 if you are a starter and 30 if you are a closer. But there is more. NOw you have to be better than the average player to make your millions. Tejada possesses skills and talents that are found in about .000001% of total population on the planet. The general public (including you) PAYS money to watch him play baseball. That All Star Game you just watched, that wasn't for free. You indirectly pay to watch it on TV.

So stop complaining about how much money these guys make. If you had a marketable talent like Tejada and worked your ass off your entire life, then you wouldn't be sitting there complaining about how much money he makes and how he doesn't deserve the car because of it. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:31 pm

anyone ever hear about the parable of teaching a man to fish versus just giving him the fish.

as it pertains to war and the rest of it, we have a repsoniblity to do both. give fishes in the interim, but set it up so they can do the fishing themselves later.

Anyway, rant over. Who cares? This isn't the type of thing that poor or needy people would EVER be a part of anyway.

Its like complaining about the Oscar goodie bags. If the event/star didn't take them, the general needy public wouldn't get that, or the money. The relative companies just would have kept the money and used it in another manner. Comparing it in a relative manner like that is fruitless.

And realisitcally, everyone except the truly poor (I guess) has income that is spent on frivoulous stuff. We could all give our money to the needy instead of spending it on tickets?

Who really cares? Tejada won a car that he will no doubt give to a friend, family or charity anyway. The company gets some publicicty, and some photo opss with tejada next the car.

I tend not to get really worked up with this type of frivolvity to be honest, since many people could be doing something more than what they are doing, but clearly don't.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 pm

exactly. the issue isn't how many starving $70,000 could feed, the issue is if they would've gotten it in any case. (and, additionally, i'm sure that chevrolet does donate money to charities out of it's corporate budget... this money just came out of marketing's, that's all.)

and cold-hearted republican? that one i gotta laugh at. flaming liberal, i'm afraid. just also aware of how people and corporations work (and also the real amounts that make a difference).

but this has gotten far afield... why don't we just all agree that a yellow corvette is nothing that anybody, much less miggie, would drive, and laugh at chevrolet for thinking this is what best represents their brand? (and i'll even put up a $5 bounty for anyone in the d.c. area or otherwise who actually gets a picture of miggie driving it... i'm sure we could get even more pledges).
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:39 pm

Matthias wrote:exactly. the issue isn't how many starving $70,000 could feed, the issue is if they would've gotten it in any case. (and, additionally, i'm sure that chevrolet does donate money to charities out of it's corporate budget... this money just came out of marketing's, that's all.)

and cold-hearted republican? that one i gotta laugh at. flaming liberal, i'm afraid. just also aware of how people and corporations work (and also the real amounts that make a difference).

but this has gotten far afield... why don't we just all agree that a yellow corvette is nothing that anybody, much less miggie, would drive, and laugh at chevrolet for thinking this is what best represents their brand? (and i'll even put up a $5 bounty for anyone in the d.c. area or otherwise who actually gets a picture of miggie driving it... i'm sure we could get even more pledges).

Didn't he drive it off the field? :-?

Yeah, people who are complaining need a serious reality check.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers