Why Give Cars to Multi-Millionaires? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Give Cars to Multi-Millionaires?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:05 am

jjigglers wrote:
WharfRat wrote:For the same reasons they give hefty tax breaks to millionaires. They've got the rest of us by the balls.

I thought your income tax % goes up as your income goes up? :-?

depends on your accountant.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:14 am

It seemed like he didnt even want the car...as if he was like I can buy 30 of these without even making a dent in my paycheck :-t
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:18 am

Next year we have the winner of the MVP award donate the cash equivalent of the car to the local high school sports program on behalf of Major League Baseball and whichever advertiser.
;-7 ;-D
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silverZ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:28 am

Why? Marketing.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:52 am

Advertising. Palin and simple. They should give it to a random fan. Go by seat number or something.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:20 am

silverZ wrote:Why? Marketing.

Yeah, they're already doing it for the marketing. Now at least give it someone who doesn't already have it.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beltrans_boy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:47 am

Miguel Tejada is under contract to make $10,781,206.00 in 2005. He's an All-Star in every sense of the word -- by all accounts and measures, he's a great guy, and one of the most talented baseball players on the planet. I'm not really implying that he's overpaid, because I don't think he is, but does a man who is already a multi-millionare deserve to be given a $70,000 car for hitting a home run in a meaningless game?

Before the game, there was a moment of silence for the victims of the bombings in London. It was a nice touch of class, but did it really mean anything? $70,000 is a lot of money that could have been donated to the Red Cross and sent over there. So we'll pretend to care about what happened in London, and then in the end, we'll throw away $70,000 in the name of a shameless publicty stunt that could have gone to help those people. It just seems hypocritical. Actually, it doesn't seem hypocritical, it is hypocritical. I'm no expert in humanitarian relief efforts, but I'm guessing $70,000 could go a long way to help a lot of people. I doubt the Tejada family really needs a vehicle. Just a hunch.

I love baseball. I always have, and I always will, but let's avoid giving multi-millionares free sports cars live on national television.

Baseball already has an image problem, do we really need to add to that by displaying this kind of gross, shameless behavior in front of the casual national baseball audience?

:-t
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:16 am

Yeah, we were talking about this at the office earlier tonight. Why can't they just make a donation to Boys and Girls Clubs of Detroit in Chevrolet's name? Chevy still gets its named pimped on national television and baseball's official kids charity gets $70K or whatever. It's not like Tejada will even want the car. It's a Chevy after all. ;-7
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:14 am

jjigglers wrote:
WharfRat wrote:For the same reasons they give hefty tax breaks to millionaires. They've got the rest of us by the balls.

I thought your income tax % goes up as your income goes up? :-?

I would have liked Bay to get it also. Kind of sucks not to get in the game.

Not always true. Basically, it boils down to two main types of income. You're thinking of wage incomes, like a mailman making $20 an hour or a lawyer making $100 an hour. The lawyer pays a higher % of his wage income.

The second type of income is capital gains. Usually it's stocks, bonds, or real estate. Income gained from these sources are governed by a different tax law. If you manage your investments correctly, you can pay little to no taxes on income gained in this manner.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers