Your worst moves so far - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your worst moves so far

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby El Guapo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:57 pm

Okay, since I'm the guy who dropped Carlos Lee and won the award for "Worst Move by any Cafe Manager in the History of the Cafe and Likely in all the Future Years of the Cafe"...I want to atleast slightly redeam myself by sharing some of my other moves...

I traded John Garland and Cliff Floyd for M-Cab. Now maybe Garland keeps winning and maybe Floyd doesn't get hurt, but the way I see it, I turned two waiver wire guys at the start of the year who were playing over their head into a solid outfielder in M-Cab. I also traded Derrek Lee who I drafted in the 9th round for Pujols. Maybe Lee keeps up his triple crown pace, but I feel that Pujols is the safer play down the stretch and a line up with Vlad and Pujols is pretty disgusting, even without Carlos Lee.

So while I reluctantly must accept the "Worst Move by any Cafe Manager in the History of the Cafe and Likely in all the Future Years of the Cafe," I have also put myself in decent playoff position with some other moves.
I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Guapo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:14 pm

Forgot to mention I also turned Garret Anderson into J. Nathan...just trying to slightly redeam myself from "village idiot" status...current line up in 8 team yahoo league...

8 team Head to Head, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

C B. Inge
1B A. Pujols
2B C. Utley
3B H. Blalock
SS M. Young
LF M. Cabrera
CF H. Matsui
RF V. Guerrero
BN A. Huff
BN R. Weeks
DL J. Lopez

SP J. Schmidt
SP M. Buehrle
SP M. Morris
RP T. Jones
RP J. Nathan
RP B. Wagner
P D. Hermanson
P K. Farnsworth
BN C. Schilling
BN G. Mota
BN T. Hudson
DL B. Lyon

Sorry for the roster hyjack, but it's tough on the ego to know you made the worse move that anyone admitted to...
I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby strong » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:04 pm

Wow. Can't believe someone dropped Carlos Lee...

But I had an early season offer of ARod for my Beltran... being the Met homer I was, I declined... eesh.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wake » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:38 am

Trading Ensberg for Percival at the beginning of Ensberg's power spike because I needed more saves.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:43 am

A lot of these moves fall more under the 'stupid' umbrealla than the 'bad' one... 8-o

That's what the Draft, Trade, etc. Forum is for. To prevent these moves from happening. ;-D

Being hasty = bad idea for fantasy baseball.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby El Guapo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:46 am

bigh0rt wrote:A lot of these moves fall more under the 'stupid' umbrealla than the 'bad' one... 8-o

That's what the Draft, Trade, etc. Forum is for. To prevent these moves from happening. ;-D

No doubt, I wish I knew about the Cafe before I won the "worst move" award. Unfortunately, I just found the cafe about a month ago...

Oh well, live and learn...
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby screwyinstlouie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:48 am

I let Hafner sit of our (10-team mixed) league waiver wire for a month. He was dropped 5/15, became a free agent 5/18, was finally picked up by the last place team on 6/17. I passed over Hafner in favor of B. Giles for my Util spot on 5/22. I also added and dropped numerous pitchers in that time. I never forgot about Hafner, but I never pulled the trigger either. D-oh!!!!!
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MFTIOA » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:33 am

I've waived Morgan Ensberg, Dustin Hermanson before he became the closer, Reistma (twice) before he became the closer. I also regret dropping Haren.

Drafting Gagne and Foulke.
MFTIOA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Osk » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 am

My 1st round pick was ROLEN
My 2nd round pick was THOME

among the players i've had on my roster that were on the DL include: rolen, thome, vidro, bedard, lyon, etc etc. Hence, my yahoo team name, "The DL- All Stars"

some of the players i picked up off waivers and then dropped include Barnes (before he got hot and put up big numbers), Garland, S.Green, R.Sanders, C.Young etc.

some of my GOOD pick ups include:
-lyon/bruney
-Ensberg
-F.Lopez
-M.Giles
-M.Alou
-R.Weeks
-Timlin (hopefully he'll start getting saves)
Aces, baby!!!
Osk Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:08 am

bigh0rt wrote:A lot of these moves fall more under the 'stupid' umbrealla than the 'bad' one... 8-o

Great motto. I still have Mike Lowell sitting on my bench, as proof of my patience (or stupidity). :)

My worst moves don't come close to matching some of the ones in the thread and were both hasty/panic moves. Closer run caught me by surprise in the draft and I ended up with only Mike Adams. Was adding and dropping potential closers like a fiend in March/April and dropped DLowe to grad McDougal. I dropped McDougal a week later when he fell out of contention for the closer.

Later when Coco Crisp was hurt, rotoworld (I think) posted a story that he was out for the season. I dropped him and added Heath Bell. Of course, less than a week later Coco was back on schedule to return and had been grabbed by another team.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers