Sheffield Says No to World Cup... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Sheffield Says No to World Cup...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:14 pm

If this were the Olympics, its likely this would be an entirely different story.

This tournament is a gimmick, just like the "international" HR derby and noted by Gary to be nothing like the Olympics.

If he were skipping the Olympics, I'd be pissed, but this is just Selig's marketing gimmick.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:28 pm

I couldn't disagree with you more. The World Cup of Baseball is only a gimmick if the fans and players treat it like one. This could be the start of something great.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:32 pm

nsulham wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Ugh. Look I'm not coming here to start a flame war on the Yankee fan forum but this is bigger than the Yankees. Sheffield isn't looking out for the Yankees he's looking out for the same person he always looks out for. I understand putting yourself first but this P.O.S. takes it to an entirely new level. This is exactly why the U.S. will underachieve in the World Cup; apathy for our very own game. I'm sure that Sheffield won't be the only one and I will despise them just as much.

This game may very well mean nothing right now but it could have a huge impact on the international perspective toward baseball. If (and yes I realize it's a big if) baseball is ever to become a world sport it will start here. Sheffield doesn't care enough about baseball or the U.S. fans to take 4 weeks out of his life to play a game? Screw him.

Thank you. I was afraid I was going to be by myself on this :-b

No way dude, I'm with you too. I don't have a huge problem if he said he was unsure on doing it beacuse it could be detrimental to the Yankees upcoming season if he were to hurt himself playing or something like that.

But when he comes out with a comment like "My season is when I get paid," it's clear he's in it for money. Again, I cheer for the guy because he's a Yankee, but I don't like him as a person and wasn't in favor of signing him. Regardless of his tremendous talent, he's an idiot.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:35 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
nsulham wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Ugh. Look I'm not coming here to start a flame war on the Yankee fan forum but this is bigger than the Yankees. Sheffield isn't looking out for the Yankees he's looking out for the same person he always looks out for. I understand putting yourself first but this P.O.S. takes it to an entirely new level. This is exactly why the U.S. will underachieve in the World Cup; apathy for our very own game. I'm sure that Sheffield won't be the only one and I will despise them just as much.

This game may very well mean nothing right now but it could have a huge impact on the international perspective toward baseball. If (and yes I realize it's a big if) baseball is ever to become a world sport it will start here. Sheffield doesn't care enough about baseball or the U.S. fans to take 4 weeks out of his life to play a game? Screw him.

Thank you. I was afraid I was going to be by myself on this :-b

No way dude, I'm with you too. I don't have a huge problem if he said he was unsure on doing it beacuse it could be detrimental to the Yankees upcoming season if he were to hurt himself playing or something like that.

But when he comes out with a comment like "My season is when I get paid," it's clear he's in it for money. Again, I cheer for the guy because he's a Yankee, but I don't like him as a person and wasn't in favor of signing him. Regardless of his tremendous talent, he's an idiot.

Well then it's nice to see you're not totally biased ;-D ;-)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to New York Yankees