Sheffield Says No to World Cup... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Sheffield Says No to World Cup...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheffield Says No to World Cup...

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:14 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 9727c.html

NY Daily News wrote:Shortly before noon, however, one of America's top outfielders made it clear he's not at all interested in the idea and intimated that he's not the only star who feels that way.

Sitting at a table in a room next door to where Selig and other league executives trumpeted the World Cup-style event, Gary Sheffield criticized the concept and said there's no chance he'll participate.

"My season is when I get paid," he said flatly. "I'm not doing that. . . . I'm not sacrificing my body or taking a chance on an injury for something that's made up." Sheffield, whose is well-known for being outspoken, added, "A lot of guys feel that way. They won't say it like I will, though."

Still all about the money, eh Gary?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:24 pm

I can hardly fault Gary Sheffield here. He's putting his team first, the Yankees, he's not going to risk getting himself hurt, he's aging, and his non-participation is what is best for the Yankee team.

I hope none of the Yankee pitchers play, especially Rivera, Gordon and Johnson; they are worked hard enough in the regular season that even more innings, especially at their age, are going to be an actual detriment to the Yankee club.

It would be fun to see our guys in the games, but thats really not what is best for the Yankees and as players under contract with the team, it shouldn't really be their option.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:34 pm

If they were paying the guys to play, Sheffield would be there.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:38 pm

blankman wrote:I can hardly fault Gary Sheffield here. He's putting his team first, the Yankees, he's not going to risk getting himself hurt, he's aging, and his non-participation is what is best for the Yankee team.

I hope none of the Yankee pitchers play, especially Rivera, Gordon and Johnson; they are worked hard enough in the regular season that even more innings, especially at their age, are going to be an actual detriment to the Yankee club.

It would be fun to see our guys in the games, but thats really not what is best for the Yankees and as players under contract with the team, it shouldn't really be their option.

Fair enough blank but come on, he could have just begged out by saying he wants to spend the time with his family or getting ready for the season.

He didn't have to say "I'm not doing it because they're not paying me." That's just a poor attitude to have and I'm sorry but if David Wells can be called out for saying the stupid crap he says (and admittedly he does say a lot of stupid crap) then Sheffield can't get a pass for coming off as an arrogant, money-hungry a@#hole.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:51 pm

He thinks the game is just 'made up' and it is. It means nothing and its not like its the Olympics. He doesn't have to say he wants to be with his family when he thinks the whole thing is a bad idea.

And he didn't say it was all about money; thats exactly what sites like ESPN.com are portraying. He has several other perfectly legitimate reasons for not playing, but everyone portrays it as if money was the only reason.

No one is bringing Wells into this.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm

Then if it's not about money at all then don't say it's about money. He's got to know that if he's griped about money before (which he has), and he mentions it again here, then what does he think is the main part everyone's going to take from his comments?

As for Wells I was making an analogy, not bringing him into it.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:59 pm

Ugh. Look I'm not coming here to start a flame war on the Yankee fan forum but this is bigger than the Yankees. Sheffield isn't looking out for the Yankees he's looking out for the same person he always looks out for. I understand putting yourself first but this P.O.S. takes it to an entirely new level. This is exactly why the U.S. will underachieve in the World Cup; apathy for our very own game. I'm sure that Sheffield won't be the only one and I will despise them just as much.

This game may very well mean nothing right now but it could have a huge impact on the international perspective toward baseball. If (and yes I realize it's a big if) baseball is ever to become a world sport it will start here. Sheffield doesn't care enough about baseball or the U.S. fans to take 4 weeks out of his life to play a game? Screw him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:01 pm

nsulham wrote:Then if it's not about money at all then don't say it's about money. He's got to know that if he's griped about money before (which he has), and he mentions it again here, then what does he think is the main part everyone's going to take from his comments?

As for Wells I was making an analogy, not bringing him into it.

Do you really think Gary Sheffield cares what people like us think? Surely money is a factor and not the only one.

Somehow, mentioning it as one of the factors makes it the only one to you and others :-?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Amazinz wrote:Ugh. Look I'm not coming here to start a flame war on the Yankee fan forum but this is bigger than the Yankees. Sheffield isn't looking out for the Yankees he's looking out for the same person he always looks out for. I understand putting yourself first but this P.O.S. takes it to an entirely new level. This is exactly why the U.S. will underachieve in the World Cup; apathy for our very own game. I'm sure that Sheffield won't be the only one and I will despise them just as much.

This game may very well mean nothing right now but it could have a huge impact on the international perspective toward baseball. If (and yes I realize it's a big if) baseball is ever to become a world sport it will start here. Sheffield doesn't care enough about baseball or the U.S. fans to take 4 weeks out of his life to play a game? Screw him.

Thank you. I was afraid I was going to be by myself on this :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:08 pm

Anybody who can't represent the country which allows them to do what they love, or produced them, is pretty lame. Hell, my boy Pedro will probably do the very same thing, and I look at him in that regard the same way I look at other scumbags like Sheffield & Co., who are all about the bottom dollar, and themselves. The world just ain't what it used to be; sports included. :-t
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Next

Return to New York Yankees