World Cup of Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

World Cup of Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

World Cup of Baseball

Postby catcher-03 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:13 pm

I really like this idea by Bud Selig and feal that it could help bring the world together, just by playing a game. And not to mention it would be great to watch. Think about a USA team going up against those Japanesers, what a game that would be, then a absolutely stacked Dominican Republic team against maybe a Puerto Rico. It would be David vs. Goliath in a few games, but I would still probably watch those to see the new young talent that's coming up throughout the world. One of the only problems I could see is when Cuba comes to America, and a few of them jump ship. Another problem is the rosters would need to be tweaked a little since some of the teams would have MLB pitchers on them that havn't thrown for a few months and need time to work their kinks out, and wouldn't be able to throw right away. So maybe have like a 30 man roster, so there could be 14 or 15 pitchers. Also they would need to move spring training back a little since a lot of players won't be playing in the tournament. It gives me something to look forward to after the World Series too, and that's all that matters.
catcher-03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:43 am

If all, or close to all, players compete in it and it's taken seriously the potential for this to absolutely awesome is there. Just look at the pride the Hispanic players play with... That type of love for the game is just not present in American ballplayers IMO. I'm not sold on the event just yet given the hurdles in getting all players involved and Japan's desire to get more financial compensation but the idea itself is amazing.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:57 am

I think the burden is on the MLB players to actually play.. I think they will though!

Its gonna be really cool if you ask me and I'll watch as long as its wood bats!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:18 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:If all, or close to all, players compete in it and it's taken seriously the potential for this to absolutely awesome is there. Just look at the pride the Hispanic players play with... That type of love for the game is just not present in American ballplayers IMO. I'm not sold on the event just yet given the hurdles in getting all players involved and Japan's desire to get more financial compensation but the idea itself is amazing.

Sheffield hates the idea and won't participate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 9727c.html

It's all about the money, for him at least. If he's right, there could be many people not going.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:20 pm

Who cares if sheff doesn't play good for him there are enough players who want to
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 pm

May be hard to make a reality, but I think it would be great if it somehow actually became one.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:57 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:If all, or close to all, players compete in it and it's taken seriously the potential for this to absolutely awesome is there. Just look at the pride the Hispanic players play with... That type of love for the game is just not present in American ballplayers IMO. I'm not sold on the event just yet given the hurdles in getting all players involved and Japan's desire to get more financial compensation but the idea itself is amazing.

Sheffield hates the idea and won't participate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 9727c.html

It's all about the money, for him at least. If he's right, there could be many people not going.

I entirely disagree. You may think its all about the money, but the fact is: The players are under contract. They have a responsibility to their MLB team. I don't think it should be their decision and some clubs will no doubt approach it that way. They risk hurting themselves and that can really hurt their team, the team that has invested millions of dollars on them. Personally, I wouldn't want any of my team's pitchers in the tournament. Even more work and innings can't be good for them in the next season.

Would I watch it? Of course. Its baseball.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:03 pm

blankman wrote:I entirely disagree. You may think its all about the money, but the fact is: The players are under contract. They have a responsibility to their MLB team. I don't think it should be their decision and some clubs will no doubt approach it that way. They risk hurting themselves and that can really hurt their team, the team that has invested millions of dollars on them. Personally, I wouldn't want any of my team's pitchers in the tournament. Even more work and innings can't be good for them in the next season.

Would I watch it? Of course. Its baseball.

I....... a...gree with.........blank? 8-o ;-7

I don't think it would be that big a deal for hitters (unless they get injured) but I don't want a pitcher from my team going out and throwing who knows how many innings in a useless game. I realize that it's babying them more than they already are, but it's no different than pitching in a bunch of exhibition games which have no meaning I would watch it, of course, but what's wrong with the way it was done in the Olympics?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:07 pm

It's one thing when you say, "I don't think I'm going to participate and risk injury or something that could be detrimental to my real team, the New York Yankees."

It's another when you say, "My season is when I get paid." It's not like this is the first time he's said something like this. It happened a few weeks ago as well.

Hopefully there are alot of names there though, because it should be fun to watch.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:28 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:It's one thing when you say, "I don't think I'm going to participate and risk injury or something that could be detrimental to my real team, the New York Yankees."

It's another when you say, "My season is when I get paid." It's not like this is the first time he's said something like this. It happened a few weeks ago as well.

Hopefully there are alot of names there though, because it should be fun to watch.

You're cherry-picking parts of the interview in your crusade against Gary. (this is the 3rd thread you've bashed him in today)

Hell, today in the paper I read this (exactly)

"Sheffield, always opinionated said he had concerns about injuring himself in an exhibition game while he should be getting ready to start the Yankees' regular season. The right fielder also said the competition was contrived, and that winning would not feel like winning an Olympic gold medal, since only 16 nations would be represented."

Without the full interview and even the question he was replying to, you're making huge leaps to attack Gary Sheffield.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk