Moneyball Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Moneyball Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:59 pm

I see where you keep coming from on the draft, but maybe if you think of it this way:

Why drop millions on the top prospects who haven't proven they can do squat at the major league level (no matter how hyped they are, and how many "tools" they possess), when you can spend far less on other prospects and improve your team at the major league level by signing FAs or making trades for other players everyone else undervalues?

I guess he should trade all of his top picks down to get more picks later, but trading picks in the baseball draft doesn't really yield exponentially better results like in the NFL and NBA where you can get players with immediate impact on the parent club with the top 2-3 picks.

Oh, and Mookie, I really want to say something, don't want to get "carded" more. ;-7
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:03 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I see where you keep coming from on the draft, but maybe if you think of it this way:

Why drop millions on the top prospects who haven't proven they can do squat at the major league level (no matter how hyped they are, and how many "tools" they possess), when you can spend far less on other prospects and improve your team at the major league level by signing FAs or making trades for other players everyone else undervalues?

I guess he should trade all of his top picks down to get more picks later, but trading picks in the baseball draft doesn't really yield exponentially better results like in the NFL and NBA where you can get players with immediate impact on the parent club with the top 2-3 picks.

Oh, and Mookie, I really want to say something, don't want to get "carded" more. ;-7

I am quite sure that trading picks in baseball's draft isn't allowed. I was ready to type before that Beane should just have traded his first for a ton of other picks and then still taken Brown. I believe that he had all of those picks because of FA's that they lost.

I gotta run to work but I will be back in a bit.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:07 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I see where you keep coming from on the draft, but maybe if you think of it this way:

I am quite sure that trading picks in baseball's draft isn't allowed. I was ready to type before that Beane should just have traded his first for a ton of other picks and then still taken Brown. I believe that he had all of those picks because of FA's that they lost.

I gotta run to work but I will be back in a bit.

Yeah he got the Yankees first round picks and a compensation pick because they signed Giambi. They got the Red Sox first round pick and a compensation pick because they signed Damon. They got the same from St. Louis because they signed Isringhausen.

This is the reason he traded for Ray Durham in 2002 and wanted Cliff Floyd. He knew he wouldn't be able to retain them after the season, but they were "Type A" free agents which means they'd get the draft picks after they signed with other teams. Very smart strategy, considering those guys could've helped them for the rest of the season and in the playoffs, as well as gotten them a load of draft picks later on.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:13 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I am quite sure that trading picks in baseball's draft isn't allowed.

I have no idea. I always thought it was because moving around in the baseball draft was largely and exercise in futility because there aren't any sure-fire super stars to be had, like in other sports.

Lofunzo wrote:I believe that he had all of those picks because of FA's that they lost.

Right. And from the Hudson/Mulder trades this offseason, you can kind of see a shift in his philosophy. Rather than let them go as FA and get only picks, trade them to take advantage of deficiencies in the [pitching] market, and get major league -- or very close to it -- talent in return. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:30 am

Well, I figured I'd get through another chapter or so before falling asleep but I couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages. I can't believe I finished it in 3 days (I absolutely despise reading, thanks to the crap that I'm commanded to read for school) but I think I found something that I can really get into.

I found the talk about JP Ricchardi late in the book very shocking. He said one of the happiest days he had was when Cashman called him and said the Yankees wanted Mondesi. He cut the payroll from like 95 million to 55 million or something, and couldn't believe anyone was dumb enough to take him.

What's funny is, I remember the exact day the Yankees got Mondesi, and I was listening to WFAN New York, and they were BUTCHERING the Blue Jays for the deal. They couldn't understand why the Jays would trade a well-known former All-Star outfielder like Mondesi for some crap Double-A prospect.

Now I see the Yankees were the ones who got severely screwed. Amazing how at the time some of these deals were made (Mondesi trade, Lilly-Weaver trade, Cliff Floyd trade) I had a completely different view on them. It was very cool to see what the opposite general manger(s) were thinking when making the deals happen. Crazy how guys like Beane and Ricchardi decieved everyone, including me, the fan, into thinking they were idiots, but in reality were making out like bandits.

8-o Beane gets alot of credit in this book, some of which I don't agree with, and some things that he does just make me scratch my head, but this was a great read. I'm very glad I decided to get it. It's especially satisfying for me, because I have somewhat of an aspiration to look into pursuing this type of career. I wasn't familiar with sabermetrics or this way of building a team, but the book kind of opened my eyes to it. I give it a ;-D .
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:01 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Well, I figured I'd get through another chapter or so before falling asleep but I couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages. I can't believe I finished it in 3 days (I absolutely despise reading, thanks to the crap that I'm commanded to read for school) but I think I found something that I can really get into.

Ditto. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:09 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Well, I figured I'd get through another chapter or so before falling asleep but I couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages. I can't believe I finished it in 3 days (I absolutely despise reading, thanks to the crap that I'm commanded to read for school) but I think I found something that I can really get into.

Ditto. ;-D

Same here, too. It took me 72 hours to read. I don't read often, either. Before that, the last book I read was the LotR trilogy. That took me about 6 weeks.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to General Talk