You gotta fight!.....For your right!........... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

You gotta fight!.....For your right!...........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:16 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:The way I read that, he wasn't at home, he was at a friend's house where there was a party. Not unusual at all for drunk people at a party to be arrested, so what's the big deal here? :-?

when officers arrived at his friend's duplex


the partygoers denied throwing bottles


I really must be reading this wrong. :-?


Without causing a disturbance?? I would be mighty pissed if I was quietly intoxicated in my yard and I was arrested by the police. No driving and no noise. I don't see a problem.


He wasn't in his yard though. :-? He was at a friend's duplex and someone at the party threw a beer bottle at a police car.

If it read that he was sitting all alone at home watching TV while drunk and the cops arrested him for that, then I'd see what the big deal is. In this case, he's drunk at a party at a friend's house and there was a disturbance involving the police. It's not unusual or odd at all that he got arrested in that spot. Happens all the time.

Then again, like I said, maybe I'm not reading this right. Took my kiddo to 6 Flags all day and I'm completely exhausted. X-I


It appears that he was at a friend's house instead of his own but my point is that if you are causing no problems at anyone's house, I don't see why the cops need to rake me off of private property. If anyone threw a bottle, lock them up. I'm just not sure about the bottle, though.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:23 pm

Lofunzo wrote:It appears that he was at a friend's house instead of his own but my point is that if you are causing no problems at anyone's house, I don't see why the cops need to rake me off of private property. If anyone threw a bottle, lock them up. I'm just not sure about the bottle, though.


None of us know for sure if a bottle was thrown, it's the cops word vs. the drunk partygoers. All I was saying is that it's not unusual at all for drunks at a party to be arrested when the police get involved due to a problem. In other words, I still don't see why this is a story. It happens every single day. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:26 pm

Mad, its an issue of private property. The law covers 2 areas: public property and danger to self/others. If he was a problem and someone at the party called the cops to get rid of him, that's legit. Same as if a barowner call the cops to get rid of someone. In this case, as far as we can tell, he was drunk or tipsyish, but not belligerent, abusive, or falling all over the place. Hell, he had the presence of mind and coordination to whip out a video camera once the situation looked like it could become adverse and more than just a house call.

The cops had a clear right to inquire about the bottle. If they were doing their job by the book, they would have no reason to get mad a it being taped. Annoyed, sure, but not hostile. Their cruisers likely have a camera that's filming their every traffic stop, its nothing new.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 pm

My dad caught me smoking and said NO WAY...that hippocrat smokes two packs a day!


Sometimes I wish I never quit smoking, and then I remember that I will be blessed with at least another six years of being an old worthless fart and that makes it all worthwhile.
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:41 pm

RugbyD wrote:Mad, its an issue of private property. The law covers 2 areas: public property and danger to self/others. If he was a problem and someone at the party called the cops to get rid of him, that's legit. Same as if a barowner call the cops to get rid of someone. In this case, as far as we can tell, he was drunk or tipsyish, but not belligerent, abusive, or falling all over the place. Hell, he had the presence of mind and coordination to whip out a video camera once the situation looked like it could become adverse and more than just a house call.

The cops had a clear right to inquire about the bottle. If they were doing their job by the book, they would have no reason to get mad a it being taped. Annoyed, sure, but not hostile. Their cruisers likely have a camera that's filming their every traffic stop, its nothing new.


Ok, so you're saying that the cops could stop and ask about the bottle, but not arrest someone who's drunk at a party at a friend's house? :-? Someone who most likely will drive home drunk?

Police have been sued for failing to take people into protective custody who later died from alcohol poisoning or killed others in drunken-driving accidents.


If he was at his own house, I'd certainly see the story here. Problem is that he was not at home. This isn't uncommon at all, so why the big deal about this particular incident? There's nothing special or uncommon about it. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:09 pm

Did they give the guy a breathalizer??

I'm not sure what to think about this, as I almost get the sense that there's more to the story than is presented here. For example, the guy drank several beers and wasn't drunk? What exactly does "several" mean?? And it really doesn't mean anything that he picked up a camera and started filming. Despite what RugbyD says, some of the best footage we took in college was when we were hammered beyond belief. ;-D And it really doesn't take much coordination to operate a video camera, let's face it. I'm drunk right now, and I'm operating a thousand-dollar piece of equipment!! :-D

Also, we don't know if the bottle-throwing incident occurred down the street, or on the other side of town. We don't know whether or not the guy was belligerent or not - the only word we have to go on is from a guy who had "several beers."

Rugby - I'd suggest putting yourself in the cop's shoes, but I don't think we have enough info to go on. But it seems like people are jumping to conclusions on this one. What I do know is this - cops show up at a party, and you stick a video camera in their faces, how the hell are they supposed to react??

But whatever. All I have to say is this: We gotta do it like this, like Chachie and Joanie. Cuz she's the cheese. And I'm the macaroni.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Madison wrote:Ok, so you're saying that the cops could stop and ask about the bottle, but not arrest someone who's drunk at a party at a friend's house? :-? Someone who most likely will drive home drunk?


Well,

He also says he had planned to spend the night at his friend's and wasn't going to be driving anywhere.


and

Laverriere said he told police he had been invited to spend the night at the house


The cops, or any other part of the legal system, are in no position to say that he is lying. Also I find it extremely improbable that he was the only person who should not have been driving that night. I find it extremely probable that he was the only one with a video camera. Draw your own conclusions.

By your logic, the cops should arrest every single person at that party that appeared to maybe be over the legal limit b/c they could possibly be driving someone's car home later. There is no law that permits people to be arrested for something they could do, but have given no indication that they will do. That is the stuff of Cuba and North Korea.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:59 pm

WharfRat wrote:And it really doesn't mean anything that he picked up a camera and started filming. Despite what RugbyD says, some of the best footage we took in college was when we were hammered beyond belief.

Absolutely. I was just making a point about his presence of mind. He couldn't have been totally blown.

WharfRat wrote:Also, we don't know if the bottle-throwing incident occurred down the street, or on the other side of town. We don't know whether or not the guy was belligerent or not - the only word we have to go on is from a guy who had "several beers."


I'm sure he has plenty of backing or else he wouldn't be bringing the lawsuit.

Wharfrat wrote:What I do know is this - cops show up at a party, and you stick a video camera in their faces, how the hell are they supposed to react??


Professionally? As trained? According to the police report, it doesn't appear that this was a hostile environment. Imperfect, sure, but when is it not?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:02 am

RugbyD wrote:
Madison wrote:Ok, so you're saying that the cops could stop and ask about the bottle, but not arrest someone who's drunk at a party at a friend's house? :-? Someone who most likely will drive home drunk?


Well,

He also says he had planned to spend the night at his friend's and wasn't going to be driving anywhere.


and

Laverriere said he told police he had been invited to spend the night at the house


The cops, or any other part of the legal system, are in no position to say that he is lying. Also I find it extremely improbable that he was the only person who should not have been driving that night. I find it extremely probable that he was the only one with a video camera. Draw your own conclusions.

By your logic, the cops should arrest every single person at that party that appeared to maybe be over the legal limit b/c they could possibly be driving someone's car home later. There is no law that permits people to be arrested for something they could do, but have given no indication that they will do. That is the stuff of Cuba and North Korea.


Good point Rugby. ;-D Somehow missed that he was spending the night. Too tired I guess. X-I

I also agree it's odd that he was the only one arrested, or was he? I don't think the article specified that or not, but I'll read it again tomorrow after I've had some sleep. ;-D

Oh, and no I don't think they should have arrested everyone who might drive, but if someone's off kilter due to drinking, I do believe the police need to make a judgement call as to if they are a danger to society or not (IE: Will they be driving drunk?) and do what they feel is necessary.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:11 am

Forgot to mention that before. If there was no evidence as to who threw the bottle, I don't see why they only arrested the 1 guy.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact