What are the Cubs Plans for Corey Patterson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the Cubs Plans for Corey Patterson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What are the Cubs Plans for Corey Patterson?

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:30 pm

I know all you guys who took Patterson in the early rounds are still licking your wounds, but I'm interested in taking a chance on this guy (now on the WW in my league) in the second half to pick up a few SBs and hope for a rebound.

Are the Cubs looking to move him, or just teaching him a lesson for a few days/weeks? Any rumored trades?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:09 pm

now that kotsay is locked up, it looks less likely that Corey will be moved. I don't think Hendry has accepted the truth yet and will stick it out unless he flunks AAA as well. If he stays down, Lawton seems like the easiest quick fix, but who knows.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:21 pm

I would guess he's down there for at the very least a month. Hairston's a lot better lead off guy and that's their #1 need. We did just sweep Florida in Florida with Hairston at the top (we had a great series).

I wouldn't bother with Corey. I believe it'll take a Hairston injury for him to come back anytime soon.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Just out of curiosity...

How many chances does Hairston get to prove that he sucks?
Baltimore kept trying with him, and he kept finding ways to lose his gig. And now this is his second chance with the Cubs outside of three months. What changed about Jerry Hairston Jr. that makes him so much better than he was in April/May? (Which was awful)...

Personally, I hope he does well. Mostly cus I own Prior and Woods on a number of squads, but ideally so the Tribune Company gets false hope from Hairston, and then trade away Corey. ;-D

Any truth to the rumor that Steve Stone will be running the team Next season?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:44 pm

A trade is possible with Corey but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I see Corey staying down in AAA for awhile, exactly how long I don't know it depends on how he plays. I think the best thing for Corey would be getting out of Chicago.

As for Hairston he has a .389 OBP in 151 AB in the leadoff spot. That's pretty good and much better than Korey although it is a small sample size. Until he messes up I expect him to stay at CF.

I should also mention that Felix Pie is the Cubs CF of the future. There are rumors of him being called up but hopefully they give him some more time to improve his plate discipline. Like Corey he's K's too much but he has shown a better ability to hit for AVG than Corey did when he was in the minors.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:53 pm

wrveres wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Steve Stone will be running the team Next season?

Dude, that's not funny. You might as well tell all the rural North Koreans that they are free.

;-7
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:55 pm

As a Cub fan, how many more years do we have to see if Patterson can improve?? I think we can give Hairston a couple months :-D

Back when Don Baylor was manager here, he compared Patterson to Oddibe McDowell (former Ranger/Braves OF). Everyone laughed. Now it is looking not so funny. Looks like it could be a damn good comparison if Patterson doesn't improve his plate discipline soon.

Anyone that watches the Cubs knew something had to be done. Patterson was an automatic out -- his facial expressions even showed such.

I love Patterson's defensive abilities too death (it's the one part of his game no one recognized when Alou/Sosa were here). But C'mon, Patterson has .270 (!) OBP and .649 (OPS). I don't care if you're not leading off, those numbers are simply unacceptable. He just hasn't improved at the plate (16 BB vs. 83 K's this year).

Everyone looks at 11 HR and 12 SB, but Corey simply had to get moved somewhere else. I'm glad they sent him down vs. trading him. He was swinging at EVERYTHING on the first pitch the last month+.......beforehand you could strike him out on a Fastball up or a breaking pitch anywhere down low......which is why I believe he was swinging at the first pitch all the time. I think someone just has to teach him to keep his head down on the ball.....seems simple, but I don't believe anyone ever taught him that........or how to bunt (they guy can't lay down a sacrifice bunt.....as bad as it sounds, he really can't).

A lot of guys (not just Corey) can get through the minors on athletic ability alone & aren't taught (or work on) the fundamentals of the game. I've seen Pie quite a few times and I really hope they don't call him up. He's not a major league caliber lead off guy and won't be for a few seasons. I don't want him to turn into another Corey Patterson (who doesn't have a spot to hit in the lineup)

As for Hairston, I don't think he sucks. He's the best leadoff guy they have right now. He's actually got a higher OBP than many leadoff guys in baseball. I'd love to see Lee's stats if the Cubs had a consistent lead off guy.

Who knows if Hairston's the answer......no one knew Brian Roberts was the answer until they dealt away Hairston.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Well lets just hope that Dusty doesn't give the green light to Hairston, eh? If He does, he will have to awnser to Mr Stone ..

I still think the Cubs should trade for a CF. If not Lawton, how about Winn? They need to do something before Houston pulls away too ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby The Sneaky Creep » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:56 pm

just bring back Jason Dubois and plant him in CF for the next 7 years and see what happens...
The Sneaky Creep
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Take him out back and make glue out of him, if they're lucky. :-]
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers