baltimore gets no respect.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

baltimore gets no respect....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's going to win the AL East?

Yanks
31%
Sox
63%
Orioles
6%

Total votes : 49

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:41 pm

Coming from a Swiss perspective . . . gotta go with Boston. The lineup has the ability to sustain, while the pitching figures itself out in the 2nd half.

The Yankees don't have the same kind of starting pitching depth the Red Sox could potentially have down the stretch. Pavano has reverted back to his career norms, Wang's ratios spell trouble in the 2nd Half, and Moose is no longer ace-caliber.

However, I will say that if the Red Sox pitching doesn't come together with Wells being over 40, Schilling being unsuccessful at anypoint in the game due to the ankle, and Bronson Arroyo simply not being capable of performing like a major league starter. The Orioles pitching isn't there. You want to start Bruce Chen in meaningful games in September, be my guest.

I really believe the AL Champ is going to come from somewhere other than the East this year. The Central is strong and the Angels are as solid as any team in the American League.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:45 pm

pmacxx2 wrote:Coming from a Swiss perspective . . . gotta go with Boston. The lineup has the ability to sustain, while the pitching figures itself out in the 2nd half.

The Yankees don't have the same kind of starting pitching depth the Red Sox could potentially have down the stretch. Pavano has reverted back to his career norms, Wang's ratios spell trouble in the 2nd Half, and Moose is no longer ace-caliber.

However, I will say that if the Red Sox pitching doesn't come together with Wells being over 40, Schilling being unsuccessful at anypoint in the game due to the ankle, and Bronson Arroyo simply not being capable of performing like a major league starter. The Orioles pitching isn't there. You want to start Bruce Chen in meaningful games in September, be my guest.

I really believe the AL Champ is going to come from somewhere other than the East this year. The Central is strong and the Angels are as solid as any team in the American League.

The more I think about it, the more it becomes evident that both the Red Sox and Yankees have the same weaknesses. Old starting pitching is the foundation of both their rotations. Wells and Schilling for the Red Sox and the Unit and Moose for the Yanks.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:21 am

stumpak wrote:I'll tell you why the Orioles get no respect: they refuse to go out and get even one decent starting pitcher. Sure Bedard looked grreat this season, but would you really want to go into October with their staff? Ponson? A bum. Lopez/ Some nights he looks like an all-star, but he will completely melt down every third start. It is basically one proven crappy pitcher (Ponson) and a munch of younger guys who may pitch well but are who are erratic and totally unproven in a pennant race.

It is unbelievable to me that even after idiotically trading for Sosa over the off season, they refuse to make a move for pitching. It is as if they know that that have a really slim chance and are happy to stay close and fill the stadium, but won't make an agressive move. Can you imagine where they would be if they had spent the Sosa money on a good pitcher or two over the off-season?

Sure the Red Sox and Yanks have holes, but they at least have the potential to and are willing to try and fix their problems through trades.

If the O's could get a SP they would. Everyone needs pitching. There simply is none of quality available. The O's have managed to get some mileage out of Chen and others. Kudos to Ray Miller. If Mel Stottlemeyer was down there the O's team ERA with be about 8.

That said, I can't see them winning unless they simply out-club everyone. It has been done before (see the 2002 Angels).
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers