Fernando Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Fernando Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fernando Martinez

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:14 pm

The New York Mets have signed a 16-year-old outfielder in one of the richest deals for a prospect from the Dominican Republic.

Fernando Martinez got a $1.4 million contract last week, even though he can't play in the United States until he turns 18.

"I didn't expect something of this size," Martinez said Saturday at his home in Rio San Juan.

Even with his lucrative deal, Martinez said he wants to attend college and study business administration. The Mets included $100,000 to pay for his studies as part of the package.

Martinez, who bats left-handed and throws righty, was signed by former major league shortstop Rafael Bournigal, the Mets' director of international scouting.

Because of his arm strength, a number of scouts had expressed interest in Martinez, comparing him to fellow Dominicans Raul Mondesi and Jose Guillen.

The Mets have a baseball academy in the Dominican and a team in the Dominican summer league. The training complex in San Cristobal is in operation all year long.

8-o
Last edited by Amazinz on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:20 pm

So he's actually what, 29 years old? :-b

Hopefully the kid ends up being legit. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:So he's actually what, 29 years old? :-b

Wouldn't surprise me. :-D

I wish they'd post some footage of this kid to show what it was that made them think a 16-year old is worth that kind of money.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:44 pm

Well no movie yet but they posted a pic on MSG:

Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:43 pm

wonder if this turns into a waste of cash :-? :-? guess it will be 2 years before we can find anything out......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Yeah I'm hoping he goes the Miggy route, either Cabrera or Tejada. :-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:55 am

I think I read somewhere they might turn him into a pitcher
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 am

Big article about Fernando in the Daily News.

Even the losers in the Martinez sweepstakes can only shake their heads at the one that got away.

"He's got the tools, the arm, the bat. Speed. Plus he's smart and very disciplined," says Yankees scout Victor Mata, who laughs when reminded of the current Bomber woes in center field. "He's got power. I say his bat swing is like a martillo, a hammer. He'll make it to the big leagues soon."

Felix Francisco, a scout for the Padres in Santo Domingo, says he was given the green light by San Diego GM Kevin Towers to open up the coffers and try to get Martinez.

"We had offered $1.3 million," Francisco says. "I thought we would get him. But Noboa told me (Martinez's) father has family in New York. I don't know, maybe in the end that was the difference. He's a special player. You are not going to find anyone with more tools at that age. And he has a good family, good education."
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:40 am

1.4 million..... 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o

There is just way too much uncertainty to warrant giving someone so young that much money. That said, it doesn't phase me in the least so keep on shelling it out.... :-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:03 am

Time for an update, dudes...

Fernando Martinez is now 18-years old and playing for the Hagerstown Suns. This is his first year of pro ball.

So far...

.333/.429/.500 G 9 AB 36 R 3 HR 0 RBI 5

Then tonight he went 1-for-4 (a 2-R HR).
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to New York Mets