Satellite Radio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Satellite Radio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Satellite Radio

Postby shpuck » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi folks,

I recently went camping, and one of my buddies brought along his XM radio. He did a pretty good job hiping it up, and I decided to look into getting it for myself.

Having looked at the channel lineups for XM and Sirius, I have found that Sirius seems to be a better fit for me, but it is lacking in some of the fields I want.

I'm interested in getting SF Giants games during baseball season and SJ Sharks games during hockey season. 49ers games would also be nice, and I need my metal and hard rock stations.

XM carries baseball and hard rock (no metal), but no hockey/football that I could see.

Sirius carries everything except baseball.

Do any of you know if I'm just missing something with the channel lineups? Can you suggest a good provider that carries all I want to listen to without being too expensive?

Thanks
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 469
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Goleta, CA

Postby ensanimal » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:41 pm

Lo can give you a lot of info about XM.

I'm still waiting for the OK from the Canadian gov't to "legalize" ot here, but once they do, it will be XM for me. ;-D
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10627
(Past Year: 112)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Postby AT » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:06 pm

XM has some metal stations. Try the Bone Yard, I think it's station 41. I was listening to some Megadeth and Maiden on the way back form Old Timer's Day saturday.

All this asian language programming and the legalization of satellite radio in Canada is giving me a nice pop to my Sirius stock ;-D

Bought at $4.27 after Howard announced his move, sold off half my position at $8.70 and it ran all the way down to $5. We're back to $7.15 and it's running like your nose after a good dose of wasabi.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Have you guys heard those commercials that bash sattelite they are funny
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:27 pm

I have XM and love it. There is no way I would want to go back to a regular radio.
Image

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17436
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:01 pm

ensanimal wrote:Lo can give you a lot of info about XM.


You know me too well. :-)

Here is a link to the thread that I started a while back. I will even bump it back up if anyone else is interested. I did a comparison on page 2.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0

I also wanted to make sure that you saw this part. They now both include online and premium programming for their monthly charge which is a few pennies short of $13.

Lofunzo wrote:FYI.......They recently just changed their prices to be in line with Sirius. It used to be $9.95/month plus extra for online and O&A. Now, it's $12.95/month and those 2 are included.
Last edited by Lofunzo on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:47 pm

i was thinkin of gettin one of the 2 for my (future) car. If i get it for my car, can i then take it out of my car into an adapter for inside the house? And it seems like 12.95 a month would add up just for comercial free radio. Is it worth it?
Image
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3089
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at my computer

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:21 am

bceagles04 wrote:i was thinkin of gettin one of the 2 for my (future) car. If i get it for my car, can i then take it out of my car into an adapter for inside the house? And it seems like 12.95 a month would add up just for comercial free radio. Is it worth it?


Is it worth it?? That all depends on whether you want to spend a few bucks per month for some added entertainment. Some people cringe at the thought of paying for radio and others love it. I fall in the latter. There are a few different options. I went with more convenience and a better look for the car. I also got a separate unit for the house. I didn't want wires hanging out and having to connect and disconnect the unit. Let me know if you need some help. If you are thinking about getting XM, this is by far the best forum that I visited in the past:

http://www.xm411.com/
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby shpuck » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:35 am

Lofunzo wrote:Here is a link to the thread that I started a while back. I will even bump it back up if anyone else is interested. I did a comparison on page 2.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0

I also wanted to make sure that you saw this part. They now both include online and premium programming for their monthly charge which is a few pennies short of $13.

FYI.......They recently just changed their prices to be in line with Sirius. It used to be $9.95/month plus extra for online and O&A. Now, it's $12.95/month and those 2 are included.


Cool. Thanks Lo. I was aware that the prices are the same for both services, in addition to having the extra radio for my wife.

bceagles, from what I saw, you can get the receiver that can be moved between mulitple base stations. You can get a boom box that the unit plugs into for the home, a mount for your dash, and I think even a permanent fixture that attaches to your home stereo. They are the "plug and play" models and both XM and Sirius have them.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 469
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Goleta, CA

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:38 am

shpuck wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Here is a link to the thread that I started a while back. I will even bump it back up if anyone else is interested. I did a comparison on page 2.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0

I also wanted to make sure that you saw this part. They now both include online and premium programming for their monthly charge which is a few pennies short of $13.

FYI.......They recently just changed their prices to be in line with Sirius. It used to be $9.95/month plus extra for online and O&A. Now, it's $12.95/month and those 2 are included.


Cool. Thanks Lo. I was aware that the prices are the same for both services, in addition to having the extra radio for my wife.

bceagles, from what I saw, you can get the receiver that can be moved between mulitple base stations. You can get a boom box that the unit plugs into for the home, a mount for your dash, and I think even a permanent fixture that attaches to your home stereo. They are the "plug and play" models and both XM and Sirius have them.


Just be careful because if the radio is stock, it might cost you a lot to connect it. An AUX input usually helps. Some of the higher end units have wireless FM modulators to run through your stereo but you might get interference and that isn't the best sound.

If you get a MyFi, it comes with all of the adaptors although you really don't need them all if you use the wireless FM mod.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 5:04 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact