What to do about blantant collusion? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to do about blantant collusion?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do about blantant collusion?

Postby Juhlz » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:16 pm

These are 2 pending trades made by the same 2 teams in which team b is blantantly dumping players. What to do? Can you believe how some people are? The trade policy is 4 objections at the trade is vetoed - commissioner alone cannot veto by himself. Below are the trades and messages from the two owners involved.

"Here's a new one. My guys are doing pretty good so far. I LOVE Burrell and Borowski. I am willing to overpay for them. I think this is a great trade....let me know!"
team b
·Foulke, Keith RP OAK
·Posada, Jorge C NYY
·Wilson, Preston CF COL
for
team a
·Borowski, Joe RP CHC
·Burrell, Pat LF PHI
·Molina, Bengie C ANA
·Padilla, Vicente SP PHI

and this one (same 2 teams trading)

team a
·Koskie, Corey 3B MIN
·Stewart, Shannon LF TOR
for
team b
·Jones, Andruw CF ATL
"Stewart is due off the DL by the time this trade will be official. He is about to explode with the Jays...they have the TOP offence in the league...that means a ton of runs and SB for you. I'll even throw in Koskie for the Hell of it. Iknow you wanted him back..and SCREW all of the JEALOUS ASSWIPES that will veto this trade"

In other words, team b is getting PWilson, Foulke, A Jones, and Posada from a team that is in close to last place. What do you think about this?
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr.DooM » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:24 pm

I'd veto it. Is this a private league? Or do you know the participants?
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Juhlz » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:30 pm

it's a public league. Worst league I have ever been in. I hate to veto unless this kind of thing comes up.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:30 pm

These are dumb trades but I don't think they are blatantly collusional. This guy might be looking to buy low on Burrell, Padilla and Stewart, and he might think that Wilson isn't for real and AJones is playing over his head. Yes, they are dumb trades but if he legitimately likes certain players and wants to overpay for them, that's not something that should be vetoed. Playing favorite players is a dumb fantasy strategy, but shouldn't necessarily be vetoed.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Juhlz » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:38 pm

jdh, in my opinion, Padilla was on ww for 3 weeks, borowski losing his close job soon, burrell .199 ba, and Molina (he's o.k.) are nowhere in the ballpark (punny huh) with Wilson (plumpy numbers all around), Posada (solid), Foulke ( best AL closer).

Koskie/Stewart for Jones I can live with but thought about vetoing just because of his comments...

Overall, I really don't care either way but wanted a few opinions about the situation.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr.DooM » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:41 pm

I think the trades are pretending to be "bad trades" to disguise collusion. It won't be the first time this happened. Even if it truly represents stupidity, I'd still veto based on how uneven and unbalancing the trades are. Sometimes, you need to protect the idiots to protect yourself.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:42 pm

This is obvious collusion. Both teams are managed by the same guy. :-t
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Juhlz » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:48 pm

9er fan, I think you may be onto something...
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:56 pm

I hate vetoes, but this might be worth one. It seems that it's the same guy. (Please, the guy loves Burrell and Borowski? Burrell, I can see, but not Borowski. And the key to buying low is selling high. He's selling crap.)

Anyway, although it seems it's the same guy, how would one do this in a public league? Set the teams at the same time and hope Yahoo (or whatever merchant) puts you in the same league?
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:59 pm

If he wanted to have two teams in the same league, he'd have to create one team, then create another account and create another team in that account and keep deleting the team and recreating it until it winds up in the same league as his first team.

I do know that eventually you will be able to hit the same league, because me and a friend of mine were trying to get into the same midseason league a few weeks back, and it worked for him after about the 6th try.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers