Thoughts on Chipper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Chipper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Chipper?

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:32 am

Any thoughts on what to expect when Chipper Jones comes off the DL?

He was amazing in April:
.375/.512/.688, 1.200 OPS

Then started having injury issues in May:
.267/.382/.480, .862 OPS

Then was useless in June until he went on the DL:
.000/.105/.000, .105 OPS (0 for 17)

Last year he also had injury problems, playing in just 137 games, his lowest total since 1995, and he had his worst OPS since 1995.

Will he be useful in the second half?

For second half production, where would you rank him among top thirdbasemen like Ensberg, A. Ramirez, A. Rodriguez, Rolen, Chavez, Blalock, Wright?
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 1269
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bothell, Washington

Postby theclefe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:28 am

When Healthy...

Arod
Ramirez
Blalock
Rolen
Jones
Wright
Chavez
Ensberg

When he comes back, I expect him to put up decent numbers, but I don't think you will get the consitency from him as you will the other guys.
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:54 am

a healthy chipper is still a top 5 or close to it 3rd baseman.... and with andruw playing super right now( for the first time in his life), this could only add to chippers value as he has not really had a stud batter hitting behind him in about 5 or 6 years....
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:57 am

Chipper is definetly top 5 when healthy.
Image
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2617
Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Postby klvrdude » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:03 am

But he's not coming back healthy. He opted out of surgery and will be playing with an injured foot. I say he will be ineffective in the 2nd half, if and when he does play.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1010
Joined: 1 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:41 pm

klvrdude wrote:But he's not coming back healthy. He opted out of surgery and will be playing with an injured foot. I say he will be ineffective in the 2nd half, if and when he does play.


Thats where you're wrong. He didn't opt out of surgery at all, it was a possibility, but he's had plenty of rest and won't come back till he's healthy. He was a monster in the secong half last season.

I put him just ahead of Rolen on theclefe's list, level with Ensberg....

A-Rod
Ramirez
Blalock
Ensberg/Chipper
Rolen

Rolens injury is much more serious IMO.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1945
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:27 pm

I think A-Rod and A-Ram are up there on top, and it looks like Eric Chavez is back to being Eric Chavez. But Blalock slumped in the 2nd half last year and Rolen isn't looking too healthy right now.

Ensberg has outhit some of the guys above him on theclefe's list, but he doesn't seem to be well-liked here. Do you think a "just-off-the-DL" Chipper Jones is going to outhit a healthy Ensberg, who's been hitting like crazy this year?
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 1269
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bothell, Washington

Postby klvrdude » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:38 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
klvrdude wrote:But he's not coming back healthy. He opted out of surgery and will be playing with an injured foot. I say he will be ineffective in the 2nd half, if and when he does play.


Thats where you're wrong. He didn't opt out of surgery at all, it was a possibility, but he's had plenty of rest and won't come back till he's healthy. He was a monster in the secong half last season.

I put him just ahead of Rolen on theclefe's list, level with Ensberg....

A-Rod
Ramirez
Blalock
Ensberg/Chipper
Rolen

Rolens injury is much more serious IMO.


From ROTOWORLD:
Jun. 11, 2005 - 6:41 am et

While Chipper Jones has opted to forego surgery, there's still a chance he'll need it at some point this year, which would end his season.
At the heart of Chipper's foot problem are bunions, which have bothered him since around the year 2000. Not only did bunions make him predisposed to the type of injury he suffered (torn ligament), but they will also likely have an effect on the healing process. If he's not showing improvement after wearing a boot for a month, it's likely that he'll go ahead and have the surgery to repair the torn ligament, which would end his season. Surgery to correct the bunion issue isn't likely however, as it would reportedly end his career.
Source: MLB.com


Maybe it's just me, but it sure sounds like he opted out of surgery and it sure sounds like he's very prone to sideline himself again in the 2nd half.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1010
Joined: 1 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:00 pm

wrveres wrote:Ouch !!
%-6 Yikes!
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1502
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:02 pm

wrveres wrote:Ouch !!


Ugh ... :-P
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8653
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact