Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:24 am

i concur with the statement above.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby El Guapo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:18 am

It wouldn't surprise me if Bonds were to end up playing for a certain high payroll American League team as a DH either next year or the year after next.
I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:21 am

El Guapo wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Bonds were to end up playing for a certain high payroll American League team as a DH either next year or the year after next.

If you're talking about the Yankees, think again.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby El Guapo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:22 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Bonds were to end up playing for a certain high payroll American League team as a DH either next year or the year after next.

How come you are so sure?
I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gws226 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:25 am

theskaboss wrote:I wouldnt be too surprised if he never plays again. :-/

Ditto here. I know Bonds is very "secretive" in regards to all matters. But this whole things just SCREAMS cover up.

How bout Barry Bonds steriod test? It got sent out to the lab for review, and it was supposed to take something like 60 days to get back. Meanwhile players are getting banned left and right for roids.... no freaky deeky 60 review period of their urine......

I understand that baseball can't ever let the truth be told regarding Bonds...... but hell if Maris got an * on his 61 then perhaps barry should get one on his as well.

He won't be back......

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1937594
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Guapo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:47 am

Most of the fans may want Barry to retire, but the thing about Barry is, he just doesn't care what anybody else thinks.

Barry definitely wants to pass Ruth and if he can Arron, and he also wants a World Series ring. The Giants have been trying to make "one last run" for 4 years now, to get Barry his ring. It's obviously not going to happen this year, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for Bonds to ask to be released from the Giants for next year so that he can play in the American League as a DH.

His knee and publicity issues aside, Barry can flat out hit, and much like NBA teams that tripped over themselves to recruit Kobe Bryant, I can only imagine what the Barry Bonds love fest would look like from teams and fans all over the country that hate the guy right now, but would love it if he were to play for him.

My guess is that he signs with the American League team that Bonds feels has the best chance to win the World Series. I realize this isn't a popular opinion around here, but I don't think Bonds is done pissing people off.
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:58 am

I'm the first to admit I'm no Bonds fan but I just can't see a guy that has such a huge ego like he does going out like this.

Maybe not this season, but no way he's played his last game.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:05 am

El Guapo wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Because even George is not crazy enough to spend 20 M on a 40+ year old with a bad knee and under the steroid cloud. He can spend it on a CF which is what we need for 06. Bonds is DESPISED by just abnout everyone not in SF. It would also be a PR nightmare. George needs that like he needs another Giambi.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:20 am

bonds doesn't want to retire, he's said he'd come back and play for the 2007 season if he has a chance to break aaron's record, and there are enough teams out there that would take a chance with this guy, so i expect to see him next year and, *shudder*, possibly in 07. IMO there's too many barry's in the bay area :-[ and zito's not going anywhere, (hopefully) :-o
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby El Guapo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:26 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Because even George is not crazy enough to spend 20 M on a 40+ year old with a bad knee and under the steroid cloud. He can spend it on a CF which is what we need for 06. Bonds is DESPISED by just abnout everyone not in SF. It would also be a PR nightmare. George needs that like he needs another Giambi.

No doubt Bonds is despised everywhere outside of the Bay, and why is he loved in the Bay? Because he plays here. It would be the same where ever else he played next. Fans are quick to hate and quick to forgive, such is sports culture.

As for it being a PR Nightmare, it absolutely is a nightmare, if by nightmere you mean selling out capacity at every game. Bonds single handedly sold out games all over the country the past three years and made Pac Bell/SBC one of the most attended stadiums in baseball. It would be no different if he plays somewhere else next year. The Yankees survived the PR negativity of Giambi without much of a hiccup, if anything Giambi and Sheffield set a precedent for the Yankees that the BALCO backlash isn't that big of a deal.

I'm not trying to say that Bonds to the Yankees next year is a done deal by any means, but I'm not going to write it off as an impossibility until I see that it doesn't happen. It definitely makes sense from Bonds' perspective, and the Yankees have a history of signing big bats. No doubt the Yankees have other needs this year, but there is the trade deadline where some of those needs may be addressed, and Bonds wouldn't have to be the only off season signing.

Anyway, it's just a thought, I'm not his agent, but I don't think it's rediculous enought to be rejected out of hand.
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers