Milledge to AA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Milledge to AA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rirruto » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:42 am

Hopefully when I visit my friends in Bing at the end of the month I will finally get to see Mr. Untouchable
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:16 pm

How soon do you think Milledge will get upgraded to AAA and to MLB. I know hes not gonna start a game at CF for the next 6 years in mlb but he could get in if Cameron or Floyd is dumped in the next 2 years. What is Milledge's expected arrival, id think around early-mid 2007? or late 2006 if the mets dont make the playoffs.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:48 pm

I don't know anything for sure but I would think that if he continues to play this well at Bing he will start '06 in AAA. The '06 trade deadline is the earliest I could see him actually playing for the Mets but Sep 1 '06 is the most likely scenario assuming everything continues along as planned.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:27 pm

Milledge glad to know he's wanted

EMERY SKOLFIELD

Herald Staff Writer

ST. PETERSBURG - A central figure in rumor central, Lastings Milledge saw the television reports and read a few of the newspaper clippings.

First, reports said, the Palmetto native, Lakewood Ranch High graduate and top New York Mets prospect was headed to Texas in a deal involving Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano.

Then, he was off to the Boston Red Sox, packaged along with Mets outfielder Mike Cameron, for Manny Ramirez. Milledge was even rumored, for a short time, to be headed to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the days leading up to Sunday's 4 p.m. non-waiver trade deadline.

By the time the deadline arrived, none of the deals had materialized, and Milledge went on being the Mets' No. 1 prospect.

For the record, here's how the 20-year-old center fielder reacted to the buzz:

"The only reason my name was mentioned in any of those trades was that so many teams wanted me," Milledge said Sunday evening via cell phone.

The fact he wasn't dealt should tell you something about his perceived value to the Mets and general manager Omar Minaya. Minaya has targeted Ramirez for some time and was starving for a big-time second baseman like Soriano, but ultimately couldn't pull the trigger on anything involving Milledge, the No. 12 pick in the 2003 draft.

"You're going to read that the Mets offered, as part of the deal, Milledge to the Boston Red Sox," Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said Sunday evening at Tropicana Field. "By all indications, that never took place. The Mets made him untouchable throughout this trade deadline."

Which is precisely what Milledge, who through Saturday was batting .348 in 16 games since being promoted to the Double-A Binghamton (N.Y.) Mets, had suspected.

"I knew it was going to be that way," Milledge said. "I didn't worry."

Was he flattered to be mentioned as part of such noteworthy deals involving big-name players?

"Yeah, of course," Milledge said. "It means a lot when they decline a trade for Manny to hold on to me."

Young Tampa Bay left-hander Scott Kazmir, a former top Mets prospect who was traded to the Devil Rays a year ago, is familiar with Milledge and said the Rays would be fortunate to nab a player of his caliber.

"He's an unbelievable talent," said Kazmir, who is 6-7 with a 4.28 ERA and leads the Rays with 106 strikeouts.

Milledge, on the other hand, wasn't so keen on ending up with his hometown organization.

"What's the chance of some team trading its top two prospects to the same team?" Milledge asked, referring to himself and Kazmir. "I didn't want to be in Tampa Bay. I don't think it would have been a good situation."

HeraldToday.com
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to New York Mets