Insanity: Giambi has five homers in seven days! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Insanity: Giambi has five homers in seven days!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Insanity: Giambi has five homers in seven days!

Postby duckbillgates » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:53 pm

And, yes, I remember Tino's amazing homer streak, but still ...
I know it was thought impossible at the beginning of the season, but could Giambi possibly be back?
Anyone have some optimistic and pessimistic projections for the second half?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:57 pm

yes this is amazing. to bad he has to sit on my bench! helton and teixeira wont be sitting ever again.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:01 pm

if giambi is really back, the yankee lineup will give him plenty of chances at rbis. but he is still batting in the 6 hole behind matsui. he'll probably end up w/ 20-25 homers and about 70-80 rbis.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:28 pm

dyuen87 wrote:but he is still batting in the 6 hole behind matsui.

There's nowhere else for him to bat. Even with how he's played, there's no justification for him hitting ahead of Sheffield, Alex or Hideki and he's too slow to hit 2nd, where Cano's done a fine job anyway.

Giambi looked great again in today's game and the HR was a bomb, not one that barely cleared the wall like the last one. He crushed it.

I think I predicted .280 25 HR 90 RBI for him preason. We shall see.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby djack909 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:45 pm

With the musical chairs Torre had been playing with DH, 1B, CF, & LF. I felt I could only play Jason if I could see him in the starting lineup. So I had him benched for 4 of his last 5 HRs. I can't check the lineups everyday. Also, how can you sit Ortiz and Delgardo and/or Helton. 3 1B and only 2 slots on most of my teams. I am sure many others have the same problem, as Jason was a FA pick-up by many of us last week.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:57 pm

djack909 wrote:With the musical chairs Torre had been playing with DH, 1B, CF, & LF. I felt I could only play Jason if I could see him in the starting lineup. So I had him benched for 4 of his last 5 HRs. I can't check the lineups everyday. Also, how can you sit Ortiz and Delgardo and/or Helton. 3 1B and only 2 slots on most of my teams. I am sure many others have the same problem, as Jason was a FA pick-up by many of us last week.

Unless Jason's hurt, you can expect him to be in the lineup for every single game.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby gws226 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:20 pm

ya know, earilier in the season I was busy comparing Giambi to Chavez.... Im happy that Giambi is smacking some out of the park.

BUT

Can anyone think of another 1B that smacked 7 HR in 7 days, 12 in his first 32 games that had everyone jumping for Jesus?

hint: he plays on the Yankees

Can anyone guess how many homeruns he's hit over the next 50 games?

Hint: 1

I hope that Giambi is "back" I also hope that you didn't drop anyone of value to ride this streak..........
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:28 pm

gws226 wrote:ya know, earilier in the season I was busy comparing Giambi to Chavez.... Im happy that Giambi is smacking some out of the park.

BUT

Can anyone think of another 1B that smacked 7 HR in 7 days, 12 in his first 32 games that had everyone jumping for Jesus?

I hope that Giambi is "back" I also hope that you didn't drop anyone of value to ride this streak..........

well one was a previous mvp and the other is 48 years old. i think the "yankee hype" argument is pretty flimsy here.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:23 am

I don't expect this to continue!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gws226 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:14 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
gws226 wrote:ya know, earilier in the season I was busy comparing Giambi to Chavez.... Im happy that Giambi is smacking some out of the park.

BUT

well one was a previous mvp and the other is 48 years old. i think the "yankee hype" argument is pretty flimsy here.

More like Ken Caminiti MVP, and more like 38 :-D

I don't bye into the Yankee Hype. Giambi has had lots of issues in recent years, I wish that he come clean with what years he was on/off steriods to give all of us fantasy owners a clearer picture. Was he juicing the entire time? is '98 (25 HR, 110RBI) something he can accomplish again?

The steriod issue is really out of control with alot of these guys now. Guys like Giambi have been considered guys who can't play in the bigs without assistance. But take an I-rod for instance, he still a solid option @ C, and only his power #'s have seemed to suffer this year. But then there is the nomar's...... uggg...

Man, its too confusing for me :~(
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers