Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby This is the year » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 am

We need to put out an all points bulletin on ZIG :-b
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ron Santo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:23 am

Zito has been great for the past 6 weeks, finally rewarding me for hanging on to him. He even has his ERA below 4.00 now! :-°
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:33 pm

I'd be careful starting him... he's the kind of guy who could ruin your ERA in any given start. He's still having trouble with walking people, and the K's aren't where they should be... but he's been getting results. June wasn't that good in terms of K/BB but he got some bounces (.212 BAA won't continue) and stranded runners, which led to an ERA below 4 finally. There are very few games of his where you look at his stat line and think "Wow, Zito had a really good game." Not someone I'd want on my team, and not somebody I'd try to buy low since he looks like he's going to revert to a 4.50 ERA with a WHIP and K/9 that will hurt more than they help.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:09 pm

I have noticed him, and I almost made a trade offer for him the other day. Then I slapped myself a few times and snapped out of it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Melo255 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:19 pm

Spot starting? He has given up 2 runs or less in 8 of his last 10 starts while in the other two he gave up 3 and 5. His walks could definitely be cut down but his numbers overall have been very good for quite some time now.

In April Zito gave up 4, 8, 2, 4, 4 runs in 5 games. Since then he has made 14 starts and given up 3 runs or less in 12 of them with his other two starts having lines of 6.0 innings 4 runs and 6.0 innings 5 runs.

In other words Zito has been good for a long time now. If you think he is going to fall apart then stay away from him but if you have faith in his abilities then time is fast running out before his value shoots sky high and he is no longer a relatively cheap pickup.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyMafia » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:15 am

I've noticed and Oakland is playing better so I will keep starting him unless he has a few bad games in a row. I don't expect the great numbers he's put up the last month but will take just decent numbers as long as they aren't like the last couple years.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers