Anyone got any cool autographs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Anyone got any cool autographs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:54 pm

I have quite a few items signed by Ted Williams. He and one of my late uncles were good friends and I ended up inheriting some of the mementos.

I also own the original Sandy Koufax portrait painted by Leroy Beachey, signed by both Koufax and the artist. It's worth quite a bit of bread (the signed lithos go for $500 neighborhood when they show on ebay, so gotta figure the original is worth beaucoup bucks). No plans to sell as I'm a huge Koufax fan, but come retirement time...and with Social Security not exactly a legit senior income, I guess I'll likely part with it someday.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby socceryank » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:55 pm

[quote="SHOCKandAWE"]I stopped getting autographs when I got a little older. Once I realized that they put their pants on the same as mine I wasn't as impressed anymore. I just can't bring myself to asking for autographs when I realized that my time is very important to me and I am sure it's the same for them.[/quote
I agree wholeheartedly. I am a sports physical therapist and have worked in Birmingham AL. Over the past 11 years I have been able to meet guys like Michael Jordan, Jeter, Smoltz, Zito, Clemens, etc and most of the WWF/WWE guys (Hulk Hogan, Triple H, Chyna, Ric Flair, the Big Show). Our policy at work prohibited autograph seeking, but after meeting so many of these guys, it seemed pretty weird to even think of asking for an autograph. Just every day guys like you said, but with a helluva lot more money!

Having said that, I did get Bob Uecker's autograph during my clinical rotation while in school while I worked in Scottsdale during Spring Training.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Balco » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:57 pm

Delmon Youngs :-) ... easy my favorite baseball player not even in the bigs yet ;-D
Balco
College Coach
College Coach

Robin Yount

Postby valnas » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:10 am

When I was about 10 or 11 I went to a Yankee game and Yount was in RF during BP, the guy who took me was the most annoying SOB you could ever imagine, and kept asking him for an autograph, yount finally comes to the wall and yells up, "If I sign it, will you shut the "#$#"" up? .
valnas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:56 am

I was taking photos of a KU barnstorming game for a local newspaper in a town not far from where I live. A week later, they came to the town where I lived, so I made me some 8x10's made to get signed. I got all four seniors signed. Aaron Miles/Keith Langford/Michael Lee/Wayne Simien.

Keith Langford was so impressed with the picture of him that I took a week prior, that he asked me for a copy. Personally, I thought that was much cooler than getting the autograph itself. ;-D
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:56 am

chargerss24 wrote:I was taking photos of a KU barnstorming game for a local newspaper in a town not far from where I live. A week later, they came to the town where I lived, so I made me some 8x10's made to get signed. I got all four seniors signed. Aaron Miles/Keith Langford/Michael Lee/Wayne Simien.

Keith Langford was so impressed with the picture of him that I took a week prior, that he asked me for a copy. Personally, I thought that was much cooler than getting the autograph itself. ;-D

I love getting autographs from the minor league and college kids because you can always say you met them when they were nobodies (usually they remain nobodies but occassionally you get a good one).
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oat Soda » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:57 am

socceryank wrote:Oat Soda -- do you still live in B'ham?

No. I grew up in Gardendale but I've been living in Anniston since '96.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:00 pm

Oat Soda wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:I was taking photos of a KU barnstorming game for a local newspaper in a town not far from where I live. A week later, they came to the town where I lived, so I made me some 8x10's made to get signed. I got all four seniors signed. Aaron Miles/Keith Langford/Michael Lee/Wayne Simien.

I love getting autographs from the minor league and college kids because you can always say you met them when they were nobodies (usually they remain nobodies but occassionally you get a good one).

I may have a chance to meet some kids who will make the pros the first two weeks in August down in Wichita, Kansas. The 70th Annual National Baseball Congress Tournament will take place down there. It's almost a sure bet to meet future Hall of Famers.

Roger Clemens, Don Sutton, Mark McGuire, Joe Carter, Whitey Herzog, Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Bonds, Satchel Paige just to name a few, all played in this tournament in Wichita at some point way before they signed a pro contract. It's going to be fun! ;-D
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby shiboboo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:42 pm

I have Duke Snyder, Willie Stargell, Bob Gibson, Catfish Hunter, and Brooks Robinson. I have a lot of the newer Angels too like Percival, Andersan, Washburn, Eckstien, Glaus, and Salmon. Plus two years ago my baseball team scrimmaged a team coached by Bobby Grich so I got him to sign a ball and a card. IT was pretty cool.
shiboboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:58 pm

I got to go to the White Sox spring training when Jordan was there and got his autograph. Also got Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Tim Raines, and others.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia