Giants win # 9,999 - Team with most wins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Giants win # 9,999 - Team with most wins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giants win # 9,999 - Team with most wins

Postby West Coast Fan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:45 pm

On Saturday, the Giants won 2-0 against the Cards. It was win number 9,999 for the franchise. They say it's the most wins for a team in baseball history. Tonight they go for # 10,000 on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
What I haven't heard is who's second? How many wins do the Yankees have? With all their pennants I thought they'd be the team with the most wins. How about winning percentage throughout history? The Giants are first in wins, but have been around for a longtime.
I'm sure someone has insight in the answers to these questions. :-?

Thanks guys.
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:15 pm

AFAIK the Cubs are #2 in franchise wins with around 9800, the Yankees are #1 in winning percentage (8th in overall wins) with just over 9100 wins.

The Giants, Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, Reds, Braves, and Pirates all have more wins than the Yankees. Basically all the teams that have been around for 20+ years more than the Yankees.

The Yankees winning percentage lead is enormous. A .565 WP vs the Giants who are second are at .540.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby West Coast Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:37 pm

Thanks for the information. ;-D

That makes sense. I wasn't sure what the time lag was between baseball starting and the Yankees joining the league.
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Invictus » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:35 pm

Tavish wrote:AFAIK the Cubs are #2 in franchise wins with around 9800, the Yankees are #1 in winning percentage (8th in overall wins) with just over 9100 wins.

The Giants, Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, Reds, Braves, and Pirates all have more wins than the Yankees. Basically all the teams that have been around for 20+ years more than the Yankees.

The Yankees winning percentage lead is enormous. A .565 WP vs the Giants who are second are at .540.

good stuff ;-D
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Tavish wrote:AFAIK the Cubs are #2 in franchise wins with around 9800, the Yankees are #1 in winning percentage (8th in overall wins) with just over 9100 wins.

Giants can thank the early 1900's for most of those wins.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:30 pm

eftda wrote:

Giants can thank the early 1900's for most of those wins.

yeah :-/

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball History