David Wells: Why Doesnt he Shut up?> - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wells: Why Doesnt he Shut up?>

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:12 pm

blankman wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:But did Kenny Rogers do something THAT much worse than what Randy did preseason, off the baseball field?

(I'm not trying to get into a discussion about RJ here, just saying I don't think what Kenny did was that bad. Not 20 games bad, worse than premeditated steroid and corked-bat use.)

What does this have to do with Randy Johnson? Another example of someone bringing a Yankee into an argument that has nothing to do with the Yankees for the purpose of bashing the player.

*Shakes head*

Here's exactly what I was getting at about overreaction to things that are said. Tell me Blank, where exactly did Trans say anything bad about RJ? He didn't even give the details, say anything about what RJ did, or even give so much as an opinion on the RJ situation. He simply used it as an example since there have not been that many run ins with cameramen this year. Overreaction yet again to something there shouldn't have even been a blink of an eye at. It gets real old and it's exactly what I was talking about in the big thread that discussed this.

Give the "Poor little Yankee fan victims" act a rest because this was clearly not a shot at the Yankees, RJ, or their fans. :-/

Anyhow, as to Rogers, he was wrong. Flat out and period. I'm a Ranger fan and I say this. 20 game suspension? Fine by me.

Now with that said, did any of you actually watch what happened? Sure sounds like a lot of people didn't see what went on, so here's what happened:

Rogers walked toward the cameraman told him to get the camera off of him, the cameraman didn't, so Rogers knocked it off his shoulder and proceeded to go out to the field. Rogers turned to say something else to the cameraman and saw he had put the camera back on his shoulder and had it on Rogers yet again. Rogers then knocked it off again and kicked it. The cameraman was not hurt, he was only covering his butt (and hoping to get paid) by going to the doctor. They even have the cameraman sticking the camera back on his shoulder, and winking at another reporter after the incident was over, so don't think for one second that the cameraman was seriously injured in any way.

Is it a harsh suspension? Sure, but what he did was wrong. It never should have become a physical situation. Even though I see Roger's side of it, and remind everyone that reporters are given permission to be on the field (they are not automatically given the right to be there, the club decides if they get to be there, and being on the field should be considered a privilige), what Rogers did was wrong, and both he, and the Rangers will suffer through it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:18 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
blankman wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:But did Kenny Rogers do something THAT much worse than what Randy did preseason, off the baseball field?

(I'm not trying to get into a discussion about RJ here, just saying I don't think what Kenny did was that bad. Not 20 games bad, worse than premeditated steroid and corked-bat use.)

What does this have to do with Randy Johnson? Another example of someone bringing a Yankee into an argument that has nothing to do with the Yankees for the purpose of bashing the player.

I don't think Kenny deserved 20 games, but David Wells' comments are insensitve to anyone thats actually been a victim of rape. Its a sick analogy.

Blank, it is completely reasonable--Randy had a run in with a cameraman. I even said in the thread I wasn't trying to open a discussion about RJ, just saying I didn't think what he did was that bad. Please give up the martyr complex.

And, you're right, Bronx, 20 games isn't the same for Rogers as it is for, say, Sosa--but the steroid suspension, I believe, is 10 games regardless of position.

Seriously, does premeditated steroid use deserve 10 games when this can get 20?

Well that's a problem entirley in itself. Steroids should warrant a 162 game suspension for 1 offense, and a lifetime ban for a 2nd offense.

But that's a whole other argument. ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:20 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Seriously, does premeditated steroid use deserve 10 games when this can get 20?

No, it doesn't deserve 10 games. It deserves 40, at least. Lax punishment for juice doesn't make Rogers' punishment too harsh.

Mad, I think you just nailed it. I agree completely.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers