David Wells: Why Doesnt he Shut up?> - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wells: Why Doesnt he Shut up?>

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:06 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:But did Kenny Rogers do something THAT much worse than what Randy did preseason, off the baseball field?

(I'm not trying to get into a discussion about RJ here, just saying I don't think what Kenny did was that bad. Not 20 games bad, worse than premeditated steroid and corked-bat use.)

I dont remember Randy Johnson kicking the camera, and sending the camera man to the hospital, but i could be wrong. ALso if i remember right, that camera man was RIGHT in his face. He didnt walk over to him like kenny did.

As far as I know, this guy's injuries are minimal, no? Yeah, clearly Kenny did more than RJ did and doing it in the fashion that he did, and on the baseball field deserves punishment. But 20 games? Please.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:10 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:But did Kenny Rogers do something THAT much worse than what Randy did preseason, off the baseball field?

(I'm not trying to get into a discussion about RJ here, just saying I don't think what Kenny did was that bad. Not 20 games bad, worse than premeditated steroid and corked-bat use.)

I dont remember Randy Johnson kicking the camera, and sending the camera man to the hospital, but i could be wrong. ALso if i remember right, that camera man was RIGHT in his face. He didnt walk over to him like kenny did.

As far as I know, this guy's injuries are minimal, no? Yeah, clearly Kenny did more than RJ did and doing it in the fashion that he did, and on the baseball field deserves punishment. But 20 games? Please.

Not saying I agree with the suspension at all, just pointing out that the RJ/Rogers incidents arent equal in severity.

And saying the guys injuries are minimal isnt really a valid excuse. He easily could have been injuried and if he was seriously hurt then im sure you wouldnt think 20 games was too long.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:20 pm

What does this have to do with Randy Johnson? Another example of someone bringing a Yankee into an argument that has nothing to do with the Yankees for the purpose of bashing the player.

I don't think Kenny deserved 20 games, but David Wells' comments are insensitve to anyone thats actually been a victim of rape. Its a sick analogy.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

If you're MLB, you definitely do not want already-bad relationships with the media to get worse, and ballplayers attacking the media is not what I'd consider healthy. Handing out a 20-game suspension is one way to deter behavior like this. I can't feel bad for Rogers or disagree with the punishment, if he hadn't attacked the guy like a big p***y prima donna, then we wouldn't be sitting here discussing it.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:50 pm

You guys need to keep in mind that 20 games doesn't equal 20 games for Kenny Rogers. He's a starting pitcher. So it's really a 4 game suspension. Yeah, that's still alot, but it's not as if he's a position player being out of the lineup for that long.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:18 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:You guys need to keep in mind that 20 games doesn't equal 20 games for Kenny Rogers. He's a starting pitcher. So it's really a 4 game suspension. Yeah, that's still alot, but it's not as if he's a position player being out of the lineup for that long.

A) Percentage-wise, it's about the same as missing 20 games. Rogers takes the hill, probably 35 times a season. That's about 11% of his total games. Let's say an average player who starts every day plays 150 games in a season. 20 games represents 13% of his total games played, so it's very close to identical, in that respect.

B) I'm not entirely sure on this one, but if Rogers is being held his pay for 20 games, that's a big difference than 4. Granted, he makes plenty of money, but there is a distinct difference.

Not disagreeing with you here. Simply clarifying.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 832)

Postby Matthias » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:54 pm

it may be the same from rogers' perspective in that he's going to miss a certain %age of their games, but it's not the same from the rangers'. what they miss is four (supposedly) quality starts where they plug someone else in and hope for the best.

and never mind the obvious problems of fining him less than 5 games.... all in all, i would say the penalty feels about right.

and no, blankman, the posting above had nothing to do with ripping the yankees. there was an analogy made between rogers' conduct and the conduct of another starting pitcher who both growled at the media and how they were separately perceived/reprimanded. get off the yankees as a victim kick.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:05 pm

The biggest difference and I am not trying to say RJ is innocent, but he was approached on the street while Rogers was on the baseball field. I have no sympathy for a player being filmed or asked question while on a baseball field.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:16 pm

well, i have some sympathy (not enough to say he was in the right, but some). he told the guy to leave him alone and the guy kept getting in his face. and what it comes down to is baseball players are people, too (and generally unmatured ones). but... on a baseball field... before a game... you can't assault the press. the fine was about right for baseball to make sure its players knew that nothing's going down on its watch.

the reporter was an idiot, though... i saw maybe two interviews with him and he kept referencing legal action or talking to his attorney or some crap... dude, you have no injuries. you have no case. (that ain't a legal opinion, but i did go through law school). he was simply pathetic,.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:35 pm

blankman wrote:

What does this have to do with Randy Johnson? Another example of someone bringing a Yankee into an argument that has nothing to do with the Yankees for the purpose of bashing the player.

I don't think Kenny deserved 20 games, but David Wells' comments are insensitve to anyone thats actually been a victim of rape. Its a sick analogy.

Blank, it is completely reasonable--Randy had a run in with a cameraman. I even said in the thread I wasn't trying to open a discussion about RJ, just saying I didn't think what he did was that bad. Please give up the martyr complex.

And, you're right, Bronx, 20 games isn't the same for Rogers as it is for, say, Sosa--but the steroid suspension, I believe, is 10 games regardless of position.

Seriously, does premeditated steroid use deserve 10 games when this can get 20?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers