David Wells: Why Doesnt he Shut up?> - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wells: Why Doesnt he Shut up?>

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:09 pm

WharfRat wrote:So in the Boomer's world, a public figure with a camera trained on him is similar to a girl about to get date-raped. I don't see it. Poor, poor multi-million dollar ballplayers. :~( :-t

I can understand a guy not wanting to talk to the media, and I can understand a guy hating the media. The media are in a galaxy of suck in many ways. But if you don't want to be a public figure, then don't play Major League Baseball. Otherwise, shut the %$@ up about it.

Nomar4Prez - can you post the rest of the interview? Frankly, I don't see how a couple decent points make up for comments as retarded as those above, but I'd like to read them, if you can find them (or retype/summarize if it was audio/video?) Thanks.

Yah, id love to see the rest of the interview as well.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:32 pm

I find it amazing that every time this guy shoots off his mouth, people give it consideration and analysis. Like you would expect David Wells to be bringing up fine points of discussion for his doctoral dissertation or something?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:37 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I find it amazing that every time this guy shoots off his mouth, people give it consideration and analysis. Like you would expect David Wells to be bringing up fine points of discussion for his doctoral dissertation or something?

Exactly, and well said. Every time this guy is quoted, somebody posts a reaction of near-shock. And if it's not near shock, and it's more of "here we go again", why post it?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby rainman23 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:41 am

Rape is against the law, because it's morally repugnant, a complete abomination in the eyes of society. Filming and interviewing athletes is not against the law...not frowned upon...it's a damned profession! Being interviewed, being filmed is part of a professional athlete's job. Being annoyed is not the same thing as being raped. There is no intelligent analogy to be made here.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:11 am

Nomar4prez wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:Haha, they completely butchered that interview. I guess they decided to not mention the rest of the interview that actually had some very good points? Oh, right, b/c that would be good journalism.

No matter what else he said in the interview, that doesn't excuse how stupid those comments were.

Ya, why would you even try defending wells after a comment like that.

Wells added: "I probably would have done the same thing.'' :-t :-t

So, you'd rather him lie, and say he'd never do such a thing? He's being honest.....I can respect that. He also said that the cameraman was a slimeball, and the whole going to the hospital was just some lame excuse to be on TV more. I'm sure that wink he gave to the other reporters was just to let them know he was ok..... :-P

I agree w/ Nomar 4 Prez here as well. He's always been an outspoken kinda guy. At least he is honest about it.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:27 am

Look its an extreme analogy, but all Wells was trying to say was that he was that he was provoked to retaliate. I wasn't repulsed when I heard Well's comment. What Rogers did was unproffesional but all Well's was trying to do was say he understands.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RyanK » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:42 am

rainman23 wrote:Rape is against the law, because it's morally repugnant, a complete abomination in the eyes of society. Filming and interviewing athletes is not against the law...not frowned upon...it's a damned profession! Being interviewed, being filmed is part of a professional athlete's job. Being annoyed is not the same thing as being raped. There is no intelligent analogy to be made here.

He used it as an analogy to compare the reporter pushing for a story that apparently Rogers did not want. Youve seen it in movies, reporters keep showing up at doors and dont leave you alone, well it seems these cameramen/reporters ticked Rogers off enough.

And just because theyre athletes doenst mean its the law that they have to filmed and interviewed, many athletes wont talk to the press, its not part of their job.

Thats like saying Lavar Arrington has to be in madden because he plays in the NFL, he appears as LB 54 or 55, whatever his number is, because he doesnt want to have his name in the game, Rogers doesnt have to talk to the press
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:21 am

RyanK wrote:And just because theyre athletes doenst mean its the law that they have to filmed and interviewed, many athletes wont talk to the press, its not part of their job.

Actually, it is part of the law that they can be filmed. They're public figures under the law, and this means they are in the spotlight legally, and anyone who wants to take their picture is doing so legally. Let's not forget, the camera guy wasn't breaking any laws. "Annoying Kenny Rogers" is not a law on the books in Texas.

Poor Kenny Rogers LMAO cry me a river :~( :~(
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:55 pm

But did Kenny Rogers do something THAT much worse than what Randy did preseason, off the baseball field?

(I'm not trying to get into a discussion about RJ here, just saying I don't think what Kenny did was that bad. Not 20 games bad, worse than premeditated steroid and corked-bat use.)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:03 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:But did Kenny Rogers do something THAT much worse than what Randy did preseason, off the baseball field?

(I'm not trying to get into a discussion about RJ here, just saying I don't think what Kenny did was that bad. Not 20 games bad, worse than premeditated steroid and corked-bat use.)

I dont remember Randy Johnson kicking the camera, and sending the camera man to the hospital, but i could be wrong. ALso if i remember right, that camera man was RIGHT in his face. He didnt walk over to him like kenny did.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers