Historic Moments in Sports - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Historic Moments in Sports

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:20 pm

I would have loved to see that ball go through buckners legs.

Or mantles monsters homerun.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:13 pm

1966 (way before I was born!), Wembley Stadium, London.

England beat West Germany 4-2 to win the World Cup ;-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:21 pm

Babe calling the shot, Wilt's 100 point game, any Jim Brown 200+ rushing effort, and that Gymnest who planted the vault on a bad ankle...who was that :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:34 pm

wkelly91 wrote:Babe calling the shot, Wilt's 100 point game, any Jim Brown 200+ rushing effort, and that Gymnest who planted the vault on a bad ankle...who was that :-?

That was Kerri Strug. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:37 pm

Speaking of olympic sports...what about the Miracle on Ice USA hockey team beating the USSR? That would have been incredible to be at...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dannyolbb » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:41 pm

In 25 years, there will be some kids saying they wish they could have been around to see the Yankees choke in the playoffs up 3-0.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Hanks 715th - with the guys rounding the bases with him, especially knowing what he went through in the months leading up to the event.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:36 pm

The Miracle on Ice.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby so0perspam » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:45 pm

davidmarver wrote:The Miracle on Ice.

Definitely. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Re: Historic Moments in Sports

Postby stevethumb » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:24 pm

WharfRat wrote:If you were to travel back through time to be present at one great sports moment or event from history, which would it be? It would have to be something you didn't witness as it happened, so it can't be, for example, Tampa Bay's Super Bowl win, or the Red Sox championship run last year, since we all know you saw both of those events.

Some ideas: the Mazeroski home run? Lou Gehrig's farewell speech? Ted Williams' final game? Satchel Paige's debut in Cleveland? Any of the old Ali fights? Watching Secretariat, Seabiscuit or any other great racehorses? Super Bowl I? Or III? Or maybe to see Notre Dame's Four Horsemen? Or Jesse Owens in Berlin? The 1980 US Hockey team's victory over Russia (if you're too young to have seen it, like me)? Or, if you're outside the States, a particular moment that has some national pride? Let's hear it. (I'm still deciding mine :-D ).
...well let's see..i broke my bed jumping on it when maz beat the yanks...i listened to the splendid splinters last game...saw many ali fights ... got goose bumps watching secreatriat win the belmont... saw super bowl 1 (but it wasnt called that).. man i am old !!! maybe if i could have seen all the 1919 world series games so i could see for myself if the fix was readily apparent
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Re: Historic Moments in Sports

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:50 pm

stevethumb wrote:
WharfRat wrote:If you were to travel back through time to be present at one great sports moment or event from history, which would it be? It would have to be something you didn't witness as it happened, so it can't be, for example, Tampa Bay's Super Bowl win, or the Red Sox championship run last year, since we all know you saw both of those events.

Some ideas: the Mazeroski home run? Lou Gehrig's farewell speech? Ted Williams' final game? Satchel Paige's debut in Cleveland? Any of the old Ali fights? Watching Secretariat, Seabiscuit or any other great racehorses? Super Bowl I? Or III? Or maybe to see Notre Dame's Four Horsemen? Or Jesse Owens in Berlin? The 1980 US Hockey team's victory over Russia (if you're too young to have seen it, like me)? Or, if you're outside the States, a particular moment that has some national pride? Let's hear it. (I'm still deciding mine :-D ).
...well let's see..i broke my bed jumping on it when maz beat the yanks...i listened to the splendid splinters last game...saw many ali fights ... got goose bumps watching secreatriat win the belmont... saw super bowl 1 (but it wasnt called that).. man i am old !!! maybe if i could have seen all the 1919 world series games so i could see for myself if the fix was readily apparent

LMAO...I guess I had the board's younger members in mind ;-D :-D But 1919 is a good one.

Actually, there are a lot of good ones on here. I think I'd have to go with either the Miracle on Ice (my Dad has a great story about getting stuck in a blizzard on the highway in MA, and pulling over and celebrating with other random drivers after the US won) or Seabiscuit's 1938 victory over War Admiral at Pimlico. It's widely considered the greatest match race of the century, and at that time in the States, horse racing was like the Super Bowl. 40,000 individuals saw the race that day. Here's a summary eye-witness account:

"At the instant of the start, something happened so unlooked-for that the entire assemblage was amazed and astounded. In all the preliminary discussion of the match by the experts, it was the vast preponderance of opinion that the Admiral, considered one of the quickest- breaking race horses in training, would hurtle away from it at such terrific speed that Seabiscuit...would be unable to match his pace."
"And now the exact opposite was beheld! The moment the flag fell, Woolf, with the quickness of lightning, drew the whip and struck Seabiscuit a series of stinging blows...He sprung forward like the traditional Quarter-Horse."

"It had happened so suddenly, was so wholly unanticipated, that as the two horses came racing down the stretch to the stand, it seethed with amazement."

"The first quarter was run in 23 3/5...with Seabiscuit leading by an open length...As they went into the club-house turn, Woolf reined Seabiscuit out from the rail farther until he was almost in what would be third position, and Kurtsinger did likewise with the Admiral. The half in 47 3/5."

"As they straightened out for the flight up the back-stretch, Woolf took his horse out even farther from the rail, and Kurtsinger must have been tempted to try shooting his mount in through next to it. But with the probability that he would be cut off if he made such a move, he took the Admiral out and started to drive with him."

"A roar went up from the grandstand as it was seen that the Admiral was devouring the space between himself and the leader...Making a supreme effort, War Admiral assumed a slight advantage."

"But Seabiscuit, as he has shown it so often, is not made of yielding material. He buckled to his work without flinching and through the next furlong, they ran locked in combat amid excitement that was undescribable." (sic)

"So they struggled, matching stride for stride, to the top of the stretch. With the advantage of the rail, Seabiscuit began to assume the offensive again."

"When they were at the last furlong pole, it was evident that the race was over. Both jockeys put up their whips and Seabiscuit, going strongly, the Admiral a very tired colt, the bay won by three open lengths."

I get the chills reading that. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk