Turnbow, no save last night in 9-6 win? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Turnbow, no save last night in 9-6 win?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Turnbow, no save last night in 9-6 win?

Postby Jmon » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:41 am

Looks like Turnow came on in the bottom of the ninth in a 9-6 game, got the out but no save according to Yahoo. Am I missing a nuance in the rules or is Yahoo off on this?
Jmon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:50 am

There was a thread on this in the Game Commentary section yesterday. Apparently the 3-run rule only applies if you come in to start the 9th, but if you come in in the middle of the 9th the tying run must be on deck. :-?

I've been following baseball for 20 years and have never heard of this rule, but I have to concede their analysis appears to be correct, no save.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:02 am

bdrotoronto wrote:There was a thread on this in the Game Commentary section yesterday. Apparently the 3-run rule only applies if you come in to start the 9th, but if you come in in the middle of the 9th the tying run must be on deck. :-?

I've been following baseball for 20 years and have never heard of this rule, but I have to concede their analysis appears to be correct, no save.

I didn't see the game, but hve him on my roster. His whip was 3.00 which means he loaded the bases. That means the tying run was on first and the winning run at the plate. Doesn't make sense to me either.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Area51's » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:02 am

Did anyone see the Cincy game? Belisle pitches 2 perfect innings, up by 4, and doesn't get the save??
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:09 am

theclefe wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:There was a thread on this in the Game Commentary section yesterday. Apparently the 3-run rule only applies if you come in to start the 9th, but if you come in in the middle of the 9th the tying run must be on deck. :-?

I didn't see the game, but hve him on my roster. His whip was 3.00 which means he loaded the bases. That means the tying run was on first and the winning run at the plate. Doesn't make sense to me either.

His WHIP was 3.00 because he only got 1 out, 0.1 IP with a 3.00 WHIP = 1 baserunner. If he'd pitched a full inning and not allowed anymore on base then his whip would have levelled to 1.00 (1 per inning)

Beside which, the tying run must be on deck when he enters the game. He cannot put himself into a save situation.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:10 am

Area51's wrote:Did anyone see the Cincy game? Belisle pitches 2 perfect innings, up by 4, and doesn't get the save??

Because he had a 4 run lead perhaps? :-?
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby baseballnewb » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:27 am

Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions: (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces); or (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game

He didn't pitch a full inning so rule a didn't apply, the potential tying run wasn't on deck so rule b didn't apply, thus no save.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:00 am

Area51's wrote:Did anyone see the Cincy game? Belisle pitches 2 perfect innings, up by 4, and doesn't get the save??

c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:04 am

Technically, the tying run needed to be on deck in order for Turnbow to get the save in that situation. It wasn't so he doesn't get a save. Technically. In the real world, however, Turnbow saved the game for Sheets and rescued Wise from an atrocious 9th inning.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby theclefe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:20 am

rotterdam_82 wrote:
theclefe wrote:

His WHIP was 3.00 because he only got 1 out, 0.1 IP with a 3.00 WHIP = 1 baserunner. If he'd pitched a full inning and not allowed anymore on base then his whip would have levelled to 1.00 (1 per inning)

Beside which, the tying run must be on deck when he enters the game. He cannot put himself into a save situation.

ahh ;-D
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers