some interesting musings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

some interesting musings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

some interesting musings

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:39 am

Coors had it's 1st 1-0 game ever today. It took 847 games, the longest streak ever for any park.

Beltre is hitting .368 in his last 23 games.

Helton has quietly hit in 17 of last 18 games.

Manny is 2nd all-time in slams. He is 6th all-time in rbi/ab ratio. Pretty impressive. Probably the best rbi guy in the last 30 years.

Palmeiro probably is the most underrated player in the last 20 years. Surely the least thought of guy in the 500 hr club.

The Nats are by far the luckiest team this year. The luck won't keep up, as they will regress towards the mean. Looking at Pythagorian, (basing w-l records on run differntial). The Nats have actually been outscored this year, but are 51-34, but in reality, should be more like 42-43. They have real lucky in 1 run games. Expect the Nats to cool down a bit. The 2nd luckiest team are the WhiteSox, about 7 more wins then they should have. They could regress some too, as luck has helped them a bit.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: some interesting musings

Postby go_jays_go » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:46 am

HOOTIE wrote:Coors had it's 1st 1-0 game ever today. It took 847 games, the longest streak ever for any park.

Beltre is hitting .368 in his last 23 games.

Helton has quietly hit in 17 of last 18 games.

Manny is 2nd all-time in slams. He is 6th all-time in rbi/ab ratio. Pretty impressive. Probably the best rbi guy in the last 30 years.

Palmeiro probably is the most underrated player in the last 20 years. Surely the least thought of guy in the 500 hr club.

The Nats are by far the luckiest team this year. The luck won't keep up, as they will regress towards the mean. Looking at Pythagorian, (basing w-l records on run differntial). The Nats have actually been outscored this year, but are 51-34, but in reality, should be more like 42-43. They have real lucky in 1 run games. Expect the Nats to cool down a bit. The 2nd luckiest team are the WhiteSox, about 7 more wins then they should have. They could regress some too, as luck has helped them a bit.

Very interesting stats there Hootie.

I've noticed the Nats stat too, how they have been outscored. It seems virtually impossible, but like you said they have been so lucky. It's kind of annoying to see them winning it all the time by one run.

Also sucks that I don't have Cordero :-t
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby so0perspam » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:47 am

All-around a very good and informative post. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:04 am

To add another musing; Citizens Bank Park had it's first 1-0 game today as well.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:26 am

More ballpark facts:
The Reds' ballpark is thought of as a hitter's park, but according to ESPN ballpark stats, it's 23rd out of 30 in park effects for scoring runs. Last year, the park was 27th. It is above-average for HR, but not runs.

The Diamondbacks park was 9th-best for runs scored last season (1.068), 5th in 2003 (1.215), but is last this year (0.540). I just can't believe that's accurate, but that's what it says.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Irish » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:38 am

Stats are meaningless unless progressively informative upon the derivative mean of absolution. ;-D :-o
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:27 am

Something else I noticed yesterday: The six division leaders in the majors yesterday scored a total of 5 runs. All three first-place teams in the NL got shut out, and the Sox and Sox didn't do much better. :-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:51 am

After batting .. .123 in April and .188 in May, Aaron Boone has batted .278 over his last 31 games. He also has 5 HR's 15 R, 15 RBIs and 2SB over the same span.

Has anybody mentioned Clevelands soft schedule during the 2nd half? ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:29 am

WharfRat wrote:Something else I noticed yesterday: The six division leaders in the majors yesterday scored a total of 5 runs. All three first-place teams in the NL got shut out, and the Sox and Sox didn't do much better. :-D

INteresting.,didn't notic that one ;-D

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: some interesting musings

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:49 pm

HOOTIE wrote:The Nats are by far the luckiest team this year. The luck won't keep up, as they will regress towards the mean. Looking at Pythagorian, (basing w-l records on run differntial). The Nats have actually been outscored this year, but are 51-34, but in reality, should be more like 42-43. They have real lucky in 1 run games. Expect the Nats to cool down a bit. The 2nd luckiest team are the WhiteSox, about 7 more wins then they should have. They could regress some too, as luck has helped them a bit.

Quick update. Since July 4th, the Nats are 2-10 in 1 run games, losing 9 straight 1 run games. I wonder if any Nat fans saw this coming?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers