It's almost time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

It's almost time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It's almost time

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:37 am

For my minor league draft. I will post the results tuesday night, but I have it down to a few players. Let me get your opinion on these guys. Remember, I am looking for biggest potenial/abilty as any fantasy guy is. We have a shallow minor league system so it is imperitive that we draft studs.

The way the picks go, these are what I am looking at. Who would you take and why?

Chad Billingsley vs. Yashy Petit

Brandon Wood vs. Stephan Drew

Javier Herrera vs. John Papelbon vs. Kendry Morales

Thanks all.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Morrison8312 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:52 am

I can give you info on Papelbon. He WILL be in the Red Sox's rotation in my opinion next season. Here's his stats from AA:

04/07 07/03 5-2, 2.48 ERA, 83 Ks, 14 Starts

In one start at AAA he went 6 innings with 7 Ks and 1 ER. This guy is great and he's ready to go. The Sox will find a place for him next season...
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby so0perspam » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:20 am

Chad Billingsley vs. Yusmeiro Petit

Brandon Wood vs. Stephen Drew

Javier Herrera vs. John Papelbon vs. Kendry Morales
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:49 am

Morrison8312 wrote:I can give you info on Papelbon. He WILL be in the Red Sox's rotation in my opinion next season. Here's his stats from AA:

04/07 07/03 5-2, 2.48 ERA, 83 Ks, 14 Starts

In one start at AAA he went 6 innings with 7 Ks and 1 ER. This guy is great and he's ready to go. The Sox will find a place for him next season...

But once he gets called up, will he bounce around Like Arroyo did? The sox are known to not be patient with their young pitching. Guys that could have developed quicker if they had a more stable pitching environment like Pavano, Suppan, Armas and others. Thats why I and holding him until my third pick, if he is there. I don't know what to make of a Red Sox pitching prospect, since the last guy they had with any success was Clemens.

Thanks for the input. His numbers are certainly enticing. I would just much rather see him on a mid-level team with a better track record. How about the other guys?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Morrison8312 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:38 am

I think it's different with the new management. The farm system has vastly improved and I think they know where they're going. Wells and Schill don't have much time left and the future will be Papelbon, Lester, Sanchez. I can't wait!
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:24 am

Billingsley
Drew
Morales
you want upside...Morales has 35 HR potential, Papelbon has 15 win #2 starter potential.
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:07 am

Billingsley,,, i just love the kid,, will be pitching in a great home park and imo is the 3rd best SP propsect in the minors right now.....

Wood,,,, i am a little weary of drew and wood has been smashing the ball this year,,, 28 homeruns with a 300 BA is not bad at all for a 20 year old prospect...

lastly i would probably take papelbon for 2 main reasons... he is almost major league ready and would make some good trade bait if there is a big time red sox fan in the league with you..... i would imagine once papelbon's name gets mentioned next spring as a potential starter in boston, that the red sox fanatic would probably overpay for him... ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:47 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Billingsley,,, i just love the kid,, will be pitching in a great home park and imo is the 3rd best SP propsect in the minors right now.....

Wood,,,, i am a little weary of drew and wood has been smashing the ball this year,,, 28 homeruns with a 300 BA is not bad at all for a 20 year old prospect...

lastly i would probably take papelbon for 2 main reasons... he is almost major league ready and would make some good trade bait if there is a big time red sox fan in the league with you..... i would imagine once papelbon's name gets mentioned next spring as a potential starter in boston, that the red sox fanatic would probably overpay for him... ;-D

Who would you put ahead of Billingsley? Felix and... Miller?

I love the power from Wood at SS. I had him targeted, but with the hype Drew has gotten I am reconsidering.

We are all Red Sox fans, but there is one guy who drafted Rickey Henderson when the Red Sox grabbed him a few years back. He is now the laughing stock of the league. I think he has learned his lesson.

Thanks for all for the comments so far.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Morrison8312 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:55 am

LOL Raiders thats probably me. I love that the Red Sox are going to be young in the next few years. Hansen (if they get him signed), Papelbon, Hanley, Pedroia next year. Sanchez and Lester in the years down the road. The farm is looking great
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby theclefe » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:05 am

This is def the first time in a while Sox fans can say that. I'll be glad when I no longer have to hear the name Bellhorn and Wells, I'll tell you that much.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball