Benitez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benitez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez

Postby gabenterprises » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:07 pm

The team has no reason to rush him back, but it looks like he will try and return this year at some point. Is that reason enough to pick him up soon? I'm considering throwing away a backup player for him.

Jul 8
Sidelined since undergoing surgery in early May to reattach two torn hamstring tendons to his pelvis, Benitez has resumed light jogging, and he threw off the mound for the first time since the procedure on Thursday. The Giants' closer remains ahead of schedule in his recovery, although an exact timetable for his return has not been set.

Advice: Originally, Benitez was expected to miss about four months. In eight appearances this season, he is 1-1 with a 5.79 ERA and four saves.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:12 pm

If you have the roster spot/dl spot then sure. I would tend to doubt that he is going to have much value this year though. Like you noted, he was supposed to miss most of the season and unless they are battling for the NL West, I do not see why they would weven bother risking Benitez this year for meaningless games. The Giants are currently 10 out in 4th place in the NL West, so the likelihood they are battling for a pennant come Sept is very slim.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:25 pm

He's a solid DL stash, if only because he will likely be back during H2H playoffs and those crucial last few weeks for Roto.
Another thing to watch on this, obviously, is Bonds. The Giants are a different team with him, which should mean more wins and more save opps for Benitez.
I wouldn't drop even a middle-tier player for him, but if you have some fat to trim in your lineup, he's worth a stash, methinks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djack909 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:46 pm

I had to drop him today. The first place team has Halladay and then thin starting pitching. So, I picked up the only decent FA SP, Loaiza, before he could. Hated to drop AB, but the !st place team has 5 closers.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gws226 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:15 pm

Im gonna do the old switcharoo activating Ordonez & Bedard once B returns, and adding benetiz & Nomar to my DLs.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:07 am

djack909 wrote:I had to drop him today. The first place team has Halladay and then thin starting pitching. So, I picked up the only decent FA SP, Loaiza, before he could. Hated to drop AB, but the !st place team has 5 closers.

Nice.
ive done that before ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers