Hello Hurt! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hello Hurt!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hello Hurt!

Postby vegas, baby » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:09 am

I've been debating picking up Frank Thomas all season, and it looks like he's finally picking up now. But would you guys drop Wilkerson for him? Wilkerson's been great as well over the last few games, and he has greater position eligibility. For the season, their OPS are almost identical.
vegas, baby

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:15 am

I was in the same situation you are, and I chose to keep Wilkerson. I think with Brad batting clean up now, and Thomas always an injury risk, he'd be the smarter pick. However, I do think the White Sox offense is starting to turn it around, meaning Frank's stats will pick up. So it's a tough choice, but in Yahoo, Frank has a few more games till he's first base eligible, and he's worthless to me as solely a DH.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRRNeiklot » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:45 pm

Thomas needs 5 more games to be 1B eligible. Now that interleague play is over, do you think he'll get it? If so, will it be any time soon? As you said, h'es not that attractive as a DH, but as a 1B, his value increases ten-fold.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:59 pm

i think he will end up getting 1B eligibility due to the complete innability of paul konerko to hit a baseball. i havent see the big hurt defensively this year but i am assuming it is a much better option for the whitesox to keep him at 1B for a while than to use him exclusively as a DH when interleague ends.

plus rotoworld said this

LATEST NEWS - June 8
Frank Thomas went 2-for-3 with a two-run homer and drew a walk today. Thomas is 16-for-33 with four homers over the last nine games. It's not a coincidence that he started producing after moving back to first base. He'll remain at the position when the White Sox return home.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby TheRock » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:00 pm

Manual has stated that Thomas will remain at 1B even after interleague play is over. Like to see him DH enough to keep him healthy, but Frank says he prefers playing than DH'ing and it seems to be working for him.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby JRRNeiklot » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:12 pm

Found this at Sportsline:

--DH-1B Frank Thomas entered Sunday on a 10-game hitting streak (16-for-37, .432), raising his batting average from .247 to .282 in that span. Nine of those 10 starts have come since manager Jerry Manuel began starting Thomas at first base. That's why Thomas will remain at first base through most of the games this week, even though the Sox will no longer be short the DH because of interleague play in NL parks. "I don't know, maybe my mind has cleared a little bit since playing first base," Thomas said. Over his 14-year career, the veteran has hit .337 with a .453 on-base percentage and .623 slugging percentage when playing first base, compared to a .283 average with a .407 on-base percentage and .502 slugging percentage as the DH. "Looks like he's better at first base, reality or not," Manuel said. "We'll have to play with him there (even with the DH role in the lineup again)."

So looks like he may get 1B eligibility soon. I picked him up in my mid-season league. Dropped Burnitz for him.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Return to Baseball Leftovers