"yankee hating" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"yankee hating"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"yankee hating"

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:14 pm

ok, so i've been hanging out on the cafe for about half a season now and already this whole "yankee hating" crap seems out of control. it seems that noone can criticize or critique the yankees or any of it's players without the thread denegrating into, "stop your yankee hating" or "you're just a yankee hater" or "all you're doing is yankee hating." can't it just stop? i mean, really. stop. just.

people have their own opinions. some people like some teams. some people don't. some people have chest-beating avatars/signatures. some don't. until everyone is ready to leave all their team allegiances (likes and dislikes) behind, can the discourse continue on with the understanding that people have preferences and it's just ok?

the cafe seems like a really great resource; i think a little more time spent talking baseball and less time spent talking about each other and it could be even better.

thanks.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:19 pm

This isn't even worth it. This is why we have the PM, and why I PMed you when I had an issue with you. Why you haven't done the same with those you have an issue with doesn't make sense.

This kind of thing is best handled via PM, so this thread doesn't simply become another bickering match like other ones.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby eftda » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:23 pm

Cant we all get along, and just agree that Bud Selig is the one to blame? :-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:51 pm

another bickering thread like the other ones? that's kind of my point. not every thread has to degenerate into another bickering thread. if we just say people have their loyalties, whereever they lay, and that's ok.

and this isn't directed to any individual(s) in particular... just something i've noticed, is all.

but blaming bud is a fabulous idea. i never trusted that geezer... always looks like a vampire who is about three days past feeding time.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:56 pm

It's a shame that every Sox or Yanks thread ends into a bicker-fest. I agree. It's tiresome.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: "yankee hating"

Postby soxwillchoke » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:32 am

Matthias wrote:ok, so i've been hanging out on the cafe for about half a season now and already this whole "yankee hating" crap seems out of control. it seems that noone can criticize or critique the yankees or any of it's players without the thread denegrating into, "stop your yankee hating" or "you're just a yankee hater" or "all you're doing is yankee hating." can't it just stop? i mean, really. stop. just.

people have their own opinions. some people like some teams. some people don't. some people have chest-beating avatars/signatures. some don't. until everyone is ready to leave all their team allegiances (likes and dislikes) behind, can the discourse continue on with the understanding that people have preferences and it's just ok?

the cafe seems like a really great resource; i think a little more time spent talking baseball and less time spent talking about each other and it could be even better.

thanks.

Just to be devil’s advocate:

I’ve only recently started to post but have hung around for about a year and a half.

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of petty criticism about the Yankees on this site, beyond what exists in the broader baseball world.

Moreover, this thread doesn’t exist about the Boston Red Sox and it certainly doesn’t exist about say…the Pirates or the Cardinals or the Rockies. If the pussing was distributed somewhat more evenly then there would be less static.

You will also notice that a lot of the more ridiculous criticism about the Yanks centers on Jeter – one of their cornerstone players. Crap like: why doesn’t he move to 3B? There was even a retarded thread about Jeter moving to center field. When someone suggests that Trot Nixon close for the Sox, then I’ll see it as more even.

So when you raise a reasonable and fair opinion about the Yankees and get attitude, understand that you are paying for the sins of the many morons who use this board as an opportunity to vent their thinly veiled frustrations.

But it sounds like you and blankman have personal issues. If so then maybe the PM option would be better than generalizing.
soxwillchoke
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: "yankee hating"

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:49 am

Matthias wrote:ok, so i've been hanging out on the cafe for about half a season now and already this whole "yankee hating" crap seems out of control. it seems that noone can criticize or critique the yankees or any of it's players without the thread denegrating into, "stop your yankee hating" or "you're just a yankee hater" or "all you're doing is yankee hating." can't it just stop? i mean, really. stop. just.

thanks.

This just seems like whining to me. :-t

There are alot of Yankees fans who use this cafe, and if you don't like the Yankees and express that you don't like them during many kinds of discussion, well then you are going to get in a lot of disputes, its plain and simple. You either prepare yourself for a barrage of "stop yankee hating" when you head into the argument, or just don't get involved in the first place. But don't whine about things like this. If you are going to criticize a team or it's decisions then you have to face the repercussions for doing so. I mean what do you expect? For them to just not respond? If somebody criticized the Jay's or their decisions, and it was something I didn't agree with then I will let them hear about it. You are just singling out the Yankees and their fans for whatever reason.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the Yankees at all, but I respect them and their fans. In a way they are alot like my Leafs, which get disrespected alot all of the time too by almost all NHL fans. There is a whole lot of Leaf-hating in Canada, and around the NHL, and as a fan you just know its something that comes with being a Leaf fan. I'm sure this is much the same as being a Yankee fan.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:04 am

We all have opinions. I hate the Yankees and don't hide it. How can you not poke fun at having a $200+ million payroll and be trotting out Tony Womack out in the OF??

I saw the 5 pages of Jeter/Pods discussion. I quit talking about a page previous to that. Pods is an all-star (That's all I care about). I hate the woulda/shoulda/coulda debates. :-t
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:06 am

Maybe you don't notice it because you don't root for the Yankees or the Red Sox, but there are ALOT of snide remarks made, whether joking or not, that inspire most of us to get annoyed. Because the Yankees and the Red Sox are the two most hated teams in baseball, alot of people make alot of smart alleck remarks in almost EVERY thread regarding them. Maybe if everyone kept to the subject instead of making those remarks, nobody would get annoyed or angry.

The problem starts there. If people can not take little shots at those teams, there would be no problem. I for one, have NO problem discussing weaknesses or things that go against the Yankees favor. It's when people make useless remarks to try to sound cute that I get irritated. No other teams are treated that way, and I understand, as Yankee fan that I need to be aware that I'm going to take more abuse than say, a Minnesota Twin fan or something. But the problem is with everyone, not just the fans of those teams.

That's my take anyway. Take whatever you want from it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 am

Registered_Guest wrote:We all have opinions. I hate the Yankees and don't hide it. How can you not poke fun at having a $200+ million payroll and be trotting out Tony Womack out in the OF??

I saw the 5 pages of Jeter/Pods discussion. I quit talking about a page previous to that. Pods is an all-star (That's all I care about). I hate the woulda/shoulda/coulda debates. :-t

Pods is an All Star yes, but the argument was that he shouldn't be. People are allowed to make their own arguments, right? In my opinion, Jeter should be in the All-Star Game, and not this joke of an All-Star Podsednik. (Truthfully, I voted for Matsui twice).

and yes, poking fun at that 200 million doller payroll is fun, and Tony Womack in the outfield is even funnier. I just wish the Jays were ahead of them still... :~(
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers