Rate my minor league roster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rate my minor league roster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:44 am

garf112 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:i would drop callaspo and mathis.....

Why would he drop the best catching prospect in the minor leagues???

2 main reasons....

mathis is no where near the best catching prospect in baseball as mccann of the braves has that honor.... and secondly,,, anaheim is in no need to rush mathis to the majors as they are pretty content with their catching duo right now....
and i would much rather have a young studly pitcher such as niemann or patton then a catcher that has struggled the last year and a half or so... in fact i just went and checked and in both of my keeper leagues that i am in now,, mathis is not even on a team mainly due to him being a catcher......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby M_Y_T_H » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:25 pm

I wouldn't drop Mathis, but I've considered trying to deal him.
I greatly need pitching help and I was thinking about trying to package him with someone to upgrade my SP since my bullpen is set.

Right now, I've got Halladay, Hudson, Brown and Wolf on the DL, so I need all the help I can get.
M_Y_T_H
College Coach
College Coach

Postby carter » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:28 pm

Niemann is a good gamble.. a little more potential then Sowers.. take a look at Jon Lester. he's got 50 k's in his last 29 ip's in AA.. alot of teams ask for him in trades. he's rising fast

Mathis is not nearly as good as expected. just look at his career minor league #'s.. for some reason, he gets a lot of love on this board, but that seems to happen with alot of mediocre prospects.

Callaspo is nothing special, he'll probly wind up traded, but dont expect anything more then a Luis Rivas type player.. he's dime a dozen .. Kendrick will probly K alot, but he's one of those guys that could still be successful because of his aggressive hitting approach (i.e. soriano).. he probly won't be THAT good, but as long as your league doesn't count K's it shouldn't really matter.. he's got 20/20 written all over him... I still like Pedroia better though, seems like a pure hitter and fiesty. he'll be up SOON, and in a great line-up/ballpark. he's a good one
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby M_Y_T_H » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:25 pm

Well, I capitulated and dropped Callaspo for Pedroia. Here's my team now:

Carlos Quentin - OF, Ari
Yusmeiro Petit - SP, NYM
Jeff Mathis - C, LAA
Francisco Liriano - SP, Min
Jeremy Sowers - SP, Cle
Dustin Pedroia - 2B, Bos

I'm almost content with my team for the time being. Although, I want to pounce the second Justin Upton or Alex Gordon signs because I know they'll be hot commodities in this league.

If I do end up trading or dropping Mathis (he's sure fallen off since I was last paying a great deal of attention to my prospects) my consideration for a pickup is down to:

Niemann
Lester
Scott Baker
Kendrick
Joey Devine
Tulowitski

Any additional thoughts?
M_Y_T_H
College Coach
College Coach

Previous