Rate my minor league roster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rate my minor league roster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:18 pm

did the Canadian Sluggers have 6 of the first 7 picks?

I would drop Callapso for LaRoche, and drop Sowers for Neimann. I don't love Liriano, and would drop him for either Scott Baker (closer to ready) or Anibal Sanchez (more upside).
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:19 am

i would drop callaspo and mathis.....

i would pick up troy patton and jeff niemann.....

hang onto sowers... i had several chances to see him pitch earlier this year, and he is just as dominant as anibal is without the devastating stuff.... sowers done a great job of keeping hitters off balance no matter what the count was..... sowers also throws 4 pitches pretty well even though he only throws his heater in the 80s... he is definitely worth a spot on a minor league keeper team for now....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JohnR » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:26 pm

Another SP listed who you may want to grab now is gio Gonzalez, LHP for CHW. He is smoking in the minors leagues and is a second year guy. He looks like a real good one to me, and personally I could have taken him or Liriano and chose him instead. He is falling under the radar in a lot of drafts, and will probably be real well known next spring. Get him now
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:59 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i would drop callaspo and mathis.....

Why would he drop the best catching prospect in the minor leagues???
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby M_Y_T_H » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:31 pm

Mathis has done well in AAA, although he's fallen off a bit as of late. At the very worst, I could trade him along with something for some help now instead of just letting him go.

As we all know, I'm on the fence on Callaspo and I'm going to wait on him for a bit. Although, I'm looking at Niemann quite hard.

I'm not familiar with Gio Gonzalez, but I'll have a look at him.

The reason Canadian Sluggers minor league roster is so stacked is because he's acquired a lot of them through trades, not to mention he's in 2nd place at this point, so he's done a good job of building his team.

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far.
M_Y_T_H
College Coach
College Coach

Postby M_Y_T_H » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Mathis has done well in AAA, although he's fallen off a bit as of late. At the very worst, I could trade him along with something for some help now instead of just letting him go.

As we all know, I'm on the fence on Callaspo and I'm going to wait on him for a bit. Although, I'm looking at Niemann quite hard.

I'm not familiar with Gio Gonzalez, but I'll have a look at him.

The reason Canadian Sluggers minor league roster is so stacked is because he's acquired a lot of them through trades, not to mention he's in 2nd place at this point, so he's done a good job of building his team.

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far.
M_Y_T_H
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JohnR » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:30 pm

Gio Gonzalez:

From 4/07 to 6/17 in Low A:
5W, 3 L, 1.87 ERA, 11 G, 10 GS, 57.2 IP, 36 H, 16 R, 12 ER, 3 HR, 22 BB, 84(!) K's

From 6/17 to 7/09 in Advanced A Ball:
1 W, 0 L, 4.61 ERA, 3 G, 13.2 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 HR, 3 BB, 19 K

totals:
6-3, 2.40 ERA, 1.01 WHIP 14 G, 13 GS, 71.1 IP, 47 H, 23 R, 19 ER, 5 HR, 25 BB, 103 K

the thing that oughtta stand out here is the 103 K's in 71 IP and the 1.01 WHIP....i dont care what level that's pitched at, that's impressive for a guy who wont be 20 until september

get him now before someone finds out who he is....he is going through a brief adjustment in High Class A, but he pitched last night and gave up 2 hits, 1 run, 3 BB and 9 K's in only 5 IP....

Just for the record though, last year in 2 levels, he had the following line:
2-3, 2.70 ERA, 12 GS, 56.2 IP, 47 H, 21 R, 17 ER, 1 HR, 21 BB, 63 K, 1.20 WHIP
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:06 pm

Gio is pretty far away from contributing. I don't put too much credence into pitching prospects that are in lo A. Gaby Hernandez of the Mets is another guy like Gio.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby JohnR » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:31 pm

i wouldnt say hes that far away from contributing....in fact, just last year we saw a 19 year old pitcher make the jump from low A up to AA....what was his name again? im not suggesting gio is going to be on the same "fast track", but my point was that he is not getting a whole lot of buzz right now and he probably should be. High A is only 3 levels from the majors and hes being moved pretty aggressively for being a second year pro
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:50 pm

JohnR wrote:i wouldnt say hes that far away from contributing....in fact, just last year we saw a 19 year old pitcher make the jump from low A up to AA....what was his name again? im not suggesting gio is going to be on the same "fast track", but my point was that he is not getting a whole lot of buzz right now and he probably should be. High A is only 3 levels from the majors and hes being moved pretty aggressively for being a second year pro

He has no where near the stuff that King Felix has. He will most likely move like most pitching prospects with an above average repertoire. Felix Hernandez has been compared to Dwight Gooden and pitching prospects like that don't come along very often.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball