Worst. League. Ever. anti-all stars - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst. League. Ever. anti-all stars

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:55 pm

Dice wrote:
blankman wrote:Just looking at the scoring, would it not have made sense to subtract an additional point for doubles, 2 more for triples and 3 pts for HR's? That would be the opposite of normal points based leagues and penalizes the players for have good slugging. It's a penalty for each base they take.

Essentially with the current system, a single, double and triple are worth the same value.

I played around with the scoring a bit. My concern with the extra base hit scoring you propose was that it would weaken hitting stats in proportion to pitching stats too much. I plugged in different scoring formulas into the projections until I got to this. It's not perfect. I think K's are a little too emphasized right now. I'll revisit it next season.

I see.

In points based leagues, there was always a premium placed on starting pitchers. When I played, RJ, Schilling and Pedro were generally the top scorers and pretty easily over even Alex Rodriguez.

I personally think its impossible to balance pts leagues (positive or negative) with hitting and pitching, so IMO they should be kept separately and not compared on point values. Its your league of course, just my suggestion.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:58 pm

I have never actually been able to get enough people to play a "Bizarro" league as it is more commonly called, so I am no expert on it. However, the results here do not make sense with Inge, Burrell and others. Inge is actually one of the better C's around. Burrell has had a very good season so far. If the point system somehow skews the numbers to that extent, something is wrong with the mathematical point model being used.

The trick to a Bizarro league to my understanding is to set it up so that you have to have a normal starting roster that playa most games, you limit roster moves because you would just see scrubs picked up daily otherwise, and you score normally with lowest totals getting 10 points (in a 10 team roto league) and highest getting 1. In a points league it should be lowest point score using the normal scoring system, not one based on negative values.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dice » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:06 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I have never actually been able to get enough people to play a "Bizarro" league as it is more commonly called, so I am no expert on it. However, the results here do not make sense with Inge, Burrell and others. Inge is actually one of the better C's around. Burrell has had a very good season so far. If the point system somehow skews the numbers to that extent, something is wrong with the mathematical point model being used.

The trick to a Bizarro league to my understanding is to set it up so that you have to have a normal starting roster that playa most games, you limit roster moves because you would just see scrubs picked up daily otherwise, and you score normally with lowest totals getting 10 points (in a 10 team roto league) and highest getting 1. In a points league it should be lowest point score using the normal scoring system, not one based on negative values.

I couldn't figure out how, in a normal Yahoo free league, to keep people from just getting players who don't play full time in that case. Platoon players and backup catchers and such.

The current scoring system is too dependent on offensive strikeouts, I'll grant, but it does solve the part time player problem. You need players who play, or else you don't score.

Nevertheless, we're all playing by the same rules, and I'm only in third. So some people have figure this out.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:04 pm

I can't understand how:

Reyes
Sexson
Inge
Chavez
Sizemore

are all on that list.....