Jeter All-star Snubbed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter All-star Snubbed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:27 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:I don't think Jeter should have even been on the ballot.

Ensberg being snubbed, there's your travesty man.

Thanks for the laugh. I won't go that far and say Jeter shouldn't have even been on the ballot. I just have no problem with Pods getting in (I thought he should of been a reserve anyhow). If "this game means something", the most valuable offensive player on the best team in baseball should have something to say about it. ;-D

Some of you guys hit the nail on the head, Pods might only get a pinch running appearance, but there's not anyone in baseball that is more valuable than him in that situation.

Ensberg is the #1 snub. The best NL 3B so far ought to be able to be on there somewhere.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:45 am

Registered_Guest wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:I don't think Jeter should have even been on the ballot.

Ensberg being snubbed, there's your travesty man.

Thanks for the laugh. I won't go that far and say Jeter shouldn't have even been on the ballot. I just have no problem with Pods getting in (I thought he should of been a reserve anyhow). If "this game means something", the most valuable offensive player on the best team in baseball should have something to say about it. ;-D

Some of you guys hit the nail on the head, Pods might only get a pinch running appearance, but there's not anyone in baseball that is more valuable than him in that situation.

Ensberg is the #1 snub. The best NL 3B so far ought to be able to be on there somewhere.

dmarver actually makes a good point about why Brian Giles is a bigger snub than Ensberg, before that point I would have tended to agree with you.

Of course, I think Jeter not being in the All-Star Game because of Podsednik is crazy..

It doesn't even matter though. My favourite Jays player didn't make it this year (Vernon Wells), my favourite Jays pitcher isnt pitching in the game this year (Roy Halladay), and who cares about Hillenbrand (How did he even get in??)... The AS Game means nothing to me now unless Jason Bay steps up and wins it in the 9th inning with a HR. Now that would be cool, and provide some Canadian exposure in the game.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:58 am

My claiming Pods has been better this year for his team then Jeter is a hard claim to support, since my rationality exists not with statistics. There is no stat for bad pitches thrown by nervous pitchers once Pods gets on. There is no stat for an increase in batting average once Pods beats out a throw to first.

All i can humbly say, is that in all my following of the Yankees and of the White Sox, Podsey has done a lot more of the little things right to help his team climb to the spot its in, as opposed to Jeter who, albeit, has been batting well, has not had as dramatic affect on his team as Podsednik.

I resent the fact that all those who disagree ignorantly fail to look beyond the stats and at the players character.

Additionally, I believe stolen bases are undervalued.

Furthermore, in no certain terms is the All Star game supposed to only include those who are statistically best. I believe it just as logical to vote for the player who has helped contribute to his team more.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:02 am

CrazyPooja90 wrote:My claiming Pods has been better this year for his team then Jeter is a hard claim to support, since my rationality exists not with statistics. There is no stat for bad pitches thrown by nervous pitchers once Pods gets on. There is no stat for an increase in batting average once Pods beats out a throw to first.

All i can humbly say, is that in all my following of the Yankees and of the White Sox, Podsey has done a lot more of the little things right to help his team climb to the spot its in, as opposed to Jeter who, albeit, has been batting well, has not had as dramatic affect on his team as Podsednik.

I resent the fact that all those who disagree ignorantly fail to look beyond the stats and at the players character.

Furthermore, in no certain terms is the All Star game supposed to only include those who are statistically best. I believe it just as logical to vote for the player who has helped contribute to his team more.

Yes, but who really votes for who they think will do the best job in the 8th inning pinch running at 1st base for Shea Hillenbrand? :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:05 am

mweir145 wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:My claiming Pods has been better this year for his team then Jeter is a hard claim to support, since my rationality exists not with statistics. There is no stat for bad pitches thrown by nervous pitchers once Pods gets on. There is no stat for an increase in batting average once Pods beats out a throw to first.

Yes, but who really votes for who they think will do the best job in the 8th inning pinch running at 1st base for Shea Hillenbrand? :-D

Ah, but my point wasn't just Pods would be better for the AL Allstar Team, but that he's been better for his team this year then Jeter has.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:15 am

TheYanks04 wrote:There are few things as totally pointless as a discussion of AS Game candidates. Go, don't go? Who really cares?

A meaningless exhibition game that should never be viewed in any more light than a typical Spring Training game. Just because Selig is an idiot and puts home field advantage in the WS at stake via a meaningless exhibition game does not change the fact that the game is not to be taken seriously. The fans vote a popularity contest, they rotate in 30 someodd players on each side, and voting is as often as you like with fools spending hours on the Internet clicking for their home town favorite or voting against some perceived enemy. Now that is lame.

There are very few things in this world that you and I agree on, this happens to be one of them.

Almost verbatim too... wow... I must be tired.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby jjigglers » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:07 am

wrveres wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:There are few things as totally pointless as a discussion of AS Game candidates. Go, don't go? Who really cares?

A meaningless exhibition game that should never be viewed in any more light than a typical Spring Training game. Just because Selig is an idiot and puts home field advantage in the WS at stake via a meaningless exhibition game does not change the fact that the game is not to be taken seriously. The fans vote a popularity contest, they rotate in 30 someodd players on each side, and voting is as often as you like with fools spending hours on the Internet clicking for their home town favorite or voting against some perceived enemy. Now that is lame.

There are very few things in this world that you and I agree on, this happens to be one of them.

Almost verbatim too... wow... I must be tired.

Yeah, I've come to realize I agree with him on a lot of things too, once you get past the bitterness and flat-out hate for random players (usually former/present Yankees)
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:00 am

bd3521 wrote:
KronJon wrote:Jeter didn't get snubbed. Tejada and Young are better.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=1
Look how close Jeter and Young are. You cannot say that Young is blowing Jeter out of the water.

Well, combined with the VORP lead, and Youngs higher OPS (by about 60 points too.). Jeter has Young by one win share, which is about as negligble as the 2 point VORP lead for Young. Young has a lead of 5 in Runs Created on Jeter, which is how far Young is behind Tejada. Hes also got him in HR and AVG. All the signs pretty much point to Young being the superior player (If I could find Range Factor and Zone Rating stats, I'm quite positive Young has him in that also) Though Jeter should have been voted in over Pods. Pods does nothing but steal, and if not for the White Sox pitching playing way above their head, everyone on the South Side would be wishing they had Carlos Lee back when they would be losing like 5-2 and such.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:11 am

It isn't the MVP award though. If we were talking about that, I guess I can see your point. The All-Star team hasn't been about that for as long as I can remember. The best players are supposed to be on the All-Star team. Podsednik isn't a superior player to Jeter. That's what my point is.

If you think the AS Game should be voted like the MVP, alright. That's your opinion. But I've never heard anyone make a case that someone should be voted to the AS team who has worse stats than another guy, simply because he appears to be more valuable to his team. That stuff is for the MVP award IMO.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers