Jeter All-star Snubbed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter All-star Snubbed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:48 pm

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see the AL All-Star team as an Olympic team where if you need speed on the team, you get a speedy player. The All-Star Team, to me, consists of the best players, and it's fairly obvious Jeter is much much better than Pods. I can understand if you're really dead set on getting the homefield that maybe you'd want a diverse player like Pods but IMO it really doesn't make a difference.

Again though, the more rest for Jeter over the break. Classy words by Francona, I did not see him say that. Good stuff.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KronJon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Jeter didn't get snubbed. Tejada and Young are better.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:12 pm

There are few things as totally pointless as a discussion of AS Game candidates. Go, don't go? Who really cares?

A meaningless exhibition game that should never be viewed in any more light than a typical Spring Training game. Just because Selig is an idiot and puts home field advantage in the WS at stake via a meaningless exhibition game does not change the fact that the game is not to be taken seriously. The fans vote a popularity contest, they rotate in 30 someodd players on each side, and voting is as often as you like with fools spending hours on the Internet clicking for their home town favorite or voting against some perceived enemy. Now that is lame.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:39 pm

I don't think Jeter should have even been on the ballot. What exactly has he done that warrants him an All Star? It seems to me they were looking for a fan favorite. Pods does more than just steal bases. He does stuff for the White Sox that there aren't even stats for. He gets things started, he messes with pitcher's minds. I was happy that he won.

Ensberg being snubbed, there's your travesty man.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:47 pm

CrazyPooja90 wrote:I don't think Jeter should have even been on the ballot. What exactly has he done that warrants him an All Star? It seems to me they were looking for a fan favorite. Pods does more than just steal bases. He does stuff for the White Sox that there aren't even stats for. He gets things started, he messes with pitcher's minds. I was happy that he won.

Wow. Talk about an ignorant statement. Jeter and Pods both lead off, and Jeter gets on base a whole lot more than Pods does. He leads the league in runs, 20 more than Pods, is 12th in VORP, has double the RBIs, and his 11 HR are probably just as valuable than Pods' extra 31 SB. Pods .700 OPS is just embarassing.

"He gets things started"- Jeter does a better job of that by getting on base more often and having a much higher slugging percentage.

You will not find anyone who can make a legitimate statistical case for Pods having a better season than Jeter. Its simply silly that you could believe that. Pods has to be one of the most overrated players in the game by anyone who believes he's an All-Star caliber player.

I'm done with arguing with those that just have no concept of statistics or allow their arguments to be driven by team allegance/hatred.
Last edited by blankman on Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:51 pm

blankman wrote:
CrazyPooja90 wrote:I don't think Jeter should have even been on the ballot. What exactly has he done that warrants him an All Star? It seems to me they were looking for a fan favorite. Pods does more than just steal bases. He does stuff for the White Sox that there aren't even stats for. He gets things started, he messes with pitcher's minds. I was happy that he won.

Wow. Talk about an ignorant statement. Jeter and Pods both lead off, and Jeter gets on base a whole lot more than Pods does. He leads the league in runs, 20 more than Pods, has double the RBIs, and his 11 HR are probably just as valuable than Pods' extra 31 SB. Pods .700 OPS is just embarassing.

You will not find anyone who can make a legitimate statistical case for Pods having a better season than Jeter. Its simply silly that you could believe that.

Not this again, seriously...

All I'm going to say is that blankman won't believe that there's anything beyond statistics to guage a player's value. And apparently the ASG is meant for the players with the best stats, while what it really boils down to is a popularity contest. Some people are just blown away that Jeter would lose a popularity contest I guess.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:54 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
blankman wrote:

Wow. Talk about an ignorant statement. Jeter and Pods both lead off, and Jeter gets on base a whole lot more than Pods does. He leads the league in runs, 20 more than Pods, has double the RBIs, and his 11 HR are probably just as valuable than Pods' extra 31 SB. Pods .700 OPS is just embarassing.

You will not find anyone who can make a legitimate statistical case for Pods having a better season than Jeter. Its simply silly that you could believe that.

All I'm going to say is that blankman won't believe that there's anything beyond statistics to guage a player's value. And apparently the ASG is meant for the players with the best stats, while what it really boils down to is a popularity contest. Some people are just blown away that Jeter would lose a popularity contest I guess.

When the stats show such an immense gap, there's nothing intangibles can do to overcome them. When players are close its possible, but not when the statistical gap between two players is this huge.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:56 pm

blankman wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
blankman wrote:

When the stats show such an immense gap, there's nothing intangibles can do to overcome them. When players are close its possible, but not when the statistical gap between two players is this huge.

IT'S A POPULARITY CONTEST!!!!! NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS!

Otherwise, they wouldn't have even put Nomar on the ballot. And yet he ended up leading the voting for a while. Why? Because of his tremendous stats? I think not.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:57 pm

davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:He didn't get snubbed, Jeter simply wasn't as good as Tejada or Young.

Julio Lugo should be an all-star before Jeter.

In comparison to Pods going, he certainly did.

Jeter is a better player than Pods, no doubt, but he doesn't bring anything that the AL doesn't already have. Pods improves the team. Could Jeter be there instead of Young? Sure, they're virtual washes, but I'd say the same thing about Pods over Young. You can say Jeter got snubbed, but from team standpoint it makes sense why Podsednik is the 32nd man and Jeter isn't.

I'm not sure there are many people that vote, thinking about who would be more valuable for a late inning SB to win the game for their team. The AS vote is a popularity contest, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with American League fans voting for Podsednik because they believe he could be a bigger help to their team.

Jeter should be in, Podsednik is a joke of an All-Star.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:03 pm

davidmarver wrote:There is no concrete definition of all-star so it's really up to personal interpretation and perspective. I know if the NL vote came down to a Pods-like player and a Jeter-like player I'd take the Pods-like player because it'd greater help my team acquire home-field advantage in the WS than with the Jeter-like player based upon the team-build.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see the AL All-Star team as an Olympic team where if you need speed on the team, you get a speedy player. The All-Star Team, to me, consists of the best players, and it's fairly obvious Jeter is much much better than Pods. I can understand if you're really dead set on getting the homefield that maybe you'd want a diverse player like Pods but IMO it really doesn't make a difference.

And this is yet another problem with making the AS game determine the home field advantage of the WS. if it MATTERS, then why take the best players? shouldn't we take the players that will give us the best chance to win? (thinks the manager). and then you get people snubbed. jeter has clearly been better than pods this year, and if it's just up to who has been better, then jeter should be rewarded over pods (but not necessarily everyone else... that's another debate).

but since it "matters" now, there's a legitimate case for taking pods over jeter.

thanks, bud.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers